DeSales 28 Cov. Holy Cross 20

bredwinner

I was lucky enough to go to this one... absolutely fantastic. A good friend of mine went to HC and he got a few of us to go. Great time and a decent turnout on both sides. I also really liked the quality of Southern's field and stadium. I hadn't been there since I was in high school.

That QB for Holy Cross is a spectacular athlete and had a run near the end of the fourth quarter where he jumped over a safety at the end. Unfortunately, after going most of the way down the field, he tossed the interception that sealed the game on the very next play.

Good luck to DeSales next week. Does anyone know where that game will be played?

At the request of the HC coaches, I have been silent for a good while. Now, consider the silence broken.

It is obvious that the success of this team took a back seat this year on the coaches list of priorities...to the success and featuring of the individual (Markel Walker). Yes, he is a phenomenal athlete, but he is only one individual and football is not an individual sport.

How can you have the talent that this team had...and only end up with a 6-6 record and yet another 2nd round playoff exit? Can you imagine what Noel Rash and his staff would have done with this kind of talent?

We have sat by quietly over the last 4 games and have seen the two senior receivers (Norris & Ziegler) almost completely ignored in the passing game. The coaches KNOW that all they have to do is throw the ball deep to one of those two receivers and good things will happen.

But, that is what we get for opening our mouth's...coaching orders to Markel: Thou shalt not throw the ball to Norris & Ziegler! It became obvious to me after seeing them repeatedly wide open down the field and not even being looked at by Markel.

A painful example of this was on HC's last play last night...Ziegler was once again, wide open...I mean WIDE OPEN, and the ball was thrown to one of the short receivers. The result was the interception that ended the game and the promising career of these seniors.

When I saw those young men crying on that field last night...my heart went out to those seniors (once un-defeated as freshman). Knowing that they had such high expectations for this year...yet not being allowed to realize their full potential.

I was lucky enough to go to this one... absolutely fantastic. A good friend of mine went to HC and he got a few of us to go. Great time and a decent turnout on both sides. I also really liked the quality of Southern's field and stadium. I hadn't been there since I was in high school.

That QB for Holy Cross is a spectacular athlete and had a run near the end of the fourth quarter where he jumped over a safety at the end. Unfortunately, after going most of the way down the field, he tossed the interception that sealed the game on the very next play.

Good luck to DeSales next week. Does anyone know where that game will be played?

That was one of the best football plays i have ever seen. The guy was almost standing straight up.

At the request of the HC coaches, I have been silent for a good while. Now, consider the silence broken.

It is obvious that the success of this team took a back seat this year on the coaches list of priorities...to the success and featuring of the individual (Markel Walker). Yes, he is a phenomenal athlete, but he is only one individual and football is not an individual sport.

How can you have the talent that this team had...and only end up with a 6-6 record and yet another 2nd round playoff exit? Can you imagine what Noel Rash and his staff would have done with this kind of talent?

We have sat by quietly over the last 4 games and have seen the two senior receivers (Norris & Ziegler) almost completely ignored in the passing game. The coaches KNOW that all they have to do is throw the ball deep to one of those two receivers and good things will happen.

But, that is what we get for opening our mouth's...coaching orders to Markel: Thou shalt not throw the ball to Norris & Ziegler! It became obvious to me after seeing them repeatedly wide open down the field and not even being looked at by Markel.

A painful example of this was on HC's last play last night...Ziegler was once again, wide open...I mean WIDE OPEN, and the ball was thrown to one of the short receivers. The result was the interception that ended the game and the promising career of these seniors.

When I saw those young men crying on that field last night...my heart went out to those seniors (once un-defeated as freshman). Knowing that they had such high expectations for this year...yet not being allowed to realize their full potential.

The whole reality to your view is that this happens throughout high school sports. There are a lot of coaches that focus all of their attention on one athlete and not the team as a whole. I recall this HC team when they were freshmen and yes they were very solid and managed to keep the majority of the team together. Great group I wish them well with the future.

What I noticed the whole game was a line that could not stop DeSales from getting into the backfield, so I don't think it's necessarily fair to question why the QB could never get the ball to his receivers when he was usually on the run 2 seconds into every play. DeSales looked simply bigger and faster at the line. It's tough, but that often what it can come down to. Don't let this ruin a solid performance from HC. In fact, there is an acheivement to be mentioned in only being down 14-7 at the half. There were some good plays made at the right time that kept HC in the game. When the offense sputtered, the defense made up for it and the other way around.

I think there's something to be said for always putting the ball in the hands of your best player, but on that last interception, to say there was someone out there wide open when he was running left with three guys chasing him doesn't seem fair to me.