September 26, 200917 yr New Orleans students sang songs in praise of President Bush after Katrina. Same ?
September 26, 200917 yr Here is my problem with all this in a nutshell... He said red, yellow, black or white All are equal in his sight Mmm, mmm, mm! Barack Hussein Obama Jesus loves the little children, All the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, All are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world. So, we've reached a point in America that we can sing praises to an individual political personality, but it is illegal to sing the same praises to the One many of us actually believe is our Lord, Savior, Creator our God. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan... it makes no difference... and to suggest that this is somehow "patriotic" is off the charts.
September 26, 200917 yr Author New Orleans students sang songs in praise of President Bush after Katrina. Same ? I'd like to see more information on that since I never heard of it and am surprised, given the blame Bush has received about Katrina. It sounds like it is the same and thus was also wrong. You do bring up a good point. Are songs that celebrate a specific accomplishment ok or should that also be a concern to citizens? If the current song didn't celebrate Obama in general but praised the cash for clunkers program, would that bother everyone?
September 26, 200917 yr Author Clyde Is this what you're referring to? Today at the White House Easter Egg Roll, dozens of children “from the stricken Gulf Coast region serenaded First Lady Laura Bush with a song praising the beleaguered Federal Emergency Management Agency.” To the tune of “Hey Look Me Over,” the kids from Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama sang: Our country’s stood beside us People have sent us aid. Katrina could not stop us, our hopes will never fade. Congress, Bush and FEMA People across our land Together have come to rebuild us and we join them hand-in-hand If so, what do you think? Same or not?
September 26, 200917 yr Here is my problem with all this in a nutshell... Jesus loves the little children, All the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, All are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world. So, we've reached a point in America that we can sing praises to an individual political personality, but it is illegal to sing the same praises to the One many of us actually believe is our Lord, Savior, Creator our God. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan... it makes no difference... and to suggest that this is somehow "patriotic" is off the charts. Exactly my problem with the whole thing. This smacks of demagoguery (sp?) and while I support separation of church and state, the use of lyrics with distinctive church overtones is disturbing to me.
September 26, 200917 yr Here is my problem with all this in a nutshell... Jesus loves the little children, All the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, All are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world. So, we've reached a point in America that we can sing praises to an individual political personality, but it is illegal to sing the same praises to the One many of us actually believe is our Lord, Savior, Creator our God. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan... it makes no difference... and to suggest that this is somehow "patriotic" is off the charts. Exactly my problem with the whole thing. This smacks of demagoguery (sp?) and while I support separation of church and state, the use of lyrics with distinctive church overtones is disturbing to me. I am in this boat.
September 26, 200917 yr Exactly my problem with the whole thing. This smacks of demagoguery (sp?) and while I support separation of church and state, the use of lyrics with distinctive church overtones is disturbing to me. I certainly have much less problem attributing such praise to Jesus Christ than to any mere human...
September 27, 200917 yr Clyde Is this what you're referring to? Today at the White House Easter Egg Roll, dozens of children “from the stricken Gulf Coast region serenaded First Lady Laura Bush with a song praising the beleaguered Federal Emergency Management Agency.” To the tune of “Hey Look Me Over,” the kids from Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama sang: Our country’s stood beside us People have sent us aid. Katrina could not stop us, our hopes will never fade. Congress, Bush and FEMA People across our land Together have come to rebuild us and we join them hand-in-hand If so, what do you think? Same or not? Yes. Is it the same? I'm not sure.
September 27, 200917 yr New Orleans students sang songs in praise of President Bush after Katrina. Same ? They did? Not sure why. Bush did the presidential review of the situation afterwards but he certainly did not rebuild the city. In fact, I think he missed an opportunity for the federal government to leverage is capability to rebuild the city quickly. Between the federal goverment (under Bush) and the state of Louisana a city was allowed to almost die and there was no urgency to address it.
September 28, 200917 yr Author Yes. Is it the same? I'm not sure. Neither am I, both make me uncomfortable.
September 28, 200917 yr This is bad stuff, folks, and I just have no room for debate with anyone who thinks to the contrary. I agree.
September 30, 200917 yr I think every student should be taught the concept of respecting the office and the country . However, having a person of influence like a teacher lead students in a song that seems like it would be sung in Iran is unacceptable. :clap::clap: I was appalled that people got upset about kids listening to Obama's speech. Although I am a Republican, and voted against Obama, I wanted both my kids to listen, because he IS our President, and you owe the office respect. But this is entirely different. If there is any shred of truth behind this, it is scary. Doesn't take much to see this as coming from Iran, as Clyde says... Comparing this to the Pledge of Allegience is amazingly illogical...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.