St. Xavier/Henry Clay predictions

X by 4-5 TD's. I haven't seen a Lexington Team compete against X or T the last two years.

Henry Clay led St. X after three quarters of their varsity scrimmage two years ago in August, 2007. The JV teams played the entire 4th quarter and St. X scored a touchdown to win on the scoreboard.

St. X is typically a slow starter and I doubt this one will be 4-5 touchdowns. If they were playing Trinity with their passing attack that Henry Clay has not ever defended......maybe. St. X........doubtful.

Henry Clay will be starting a first year starters at about 8 positions offensively. This includes the quarterback. The skilled kids are very talented, but playing against top competition for the first time. I think the potential will show, but mistakes will be made.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X by 4-5 TD's. I haven't seen a Lexington Team compete against X or T the last two years.

Here's a look at how St. Xavier and Trinity have matched up against Lexington teams over the last ten seasons.

St. Xavier Tigers

2008 - Lexington Catholic (W, 59-7)

2007 - Lexington Catholic (W, 41-9)

2006 - Lexington Catholic (W, 47-0)

2005 - Lexington Catholic (W, 37-34)

2004 - Lexington Catholic (W, 44-7)

2003 - Lexington Catholic (L, 19-14)

St. Xavier: 5-1, average score 40-13

Trinity Shamrocks

2008 - Paul Dunbar (W, 56-0)

2008 - Lafayette (W, 65-0)

2007 - Paul Dunbar (W, 41-7)

2007 - Lafayette (W, 56-6)

2007 - Henry Clay (W, 50-14)

2006 - Henry Clay (W, 56-35)

2005 - Henry Clay (W, 41-20)

2003 - Paul Dunbar (W, 25-13)

2002 - Paul Dunbar (W, 49-7)

2001 - Tates Creek (W, 50-0)

2000 - Henry Clay (W, 45-10)

2000 - Tates Creek (W, 52-21)

1999 - Henry Clay (W, 33-28)

1999 - Bryan Station (L, 31-21)

Trinity: 13-1, average score 46-14

Here's a look at how St. Xavier and Trinity have matched up against Lexington teams over the last ten seasons.

St. Xavier Tigers

2008 - Lexington Catholic (W, 59-7)

2007 - Lexington Catholic (W, 41-9)

2006 - Lexington Catholic (W, 47-0)

2005 - Lexington Catholic (W, 37-34)

2004 - Lexington Catholic (W, 44-7)

2003 - Lexington Catholic (L, 19-14)

St. Xavier: 5-1, average score 40-13

Trinity Shamrocks

2008 - Paul Dunbar (W, 56-0)

2008 - Lafayette (W, 65-0)

2007 - Paul Dunbar (W, 41-7)

2007 - Lafayette (W, 56-6)

2007 - Henry Clay (W, 50-14)

2006 - Henry Clay (W, 56-35)

2005 - Henry Clay (W, 41-20)

2003 - Paul Dunbar (W, 25-13)

2002 - Paul Dunbar (W, 49-7)

2001 - Tates Creek (W, 50-0)

2000 - Henry Clay (W, 45-10)

2000 - Tates Creek (W, 52-21)

1999 - Henry Clay (W, 33-28)

1999 - Bryan Station (L, 31-21)

Trinity: 13-1, average score 46-14

The scores don't lie!

The scores don't lie!

It does in a way for St. X because they've only played Catholic. There were some really good city teams over the years that they didn't play, just because they were always in the western bracket of AAAA.

Even with, however, I would imagine X would have handily defeated those city teams on a regular basis.

It does in a way for St. X because they've only played Catholic. There were some really good city teams over the years that they didn't play, just because they were always in the western bracket of AAAA.

Even with, however, I would imagine X would have handily defeated those city teams on a regular basis.

Maybe that is true.

I have always felt, because of style of play, that St. X was and is a better match up for Henry Clay than was/is Trinity.

Henry Clay has not had an answer for Trinity's sophisticated passing attack.

St X is St X. No secret them and Trinity have a huge advantage.

I coached a lot of the kids at Henry Clay when they were younger. Anxious to see how they do. It's probably the most speed I've seen in high school.

I have a great respect for Henry Clay's program, but since it has been previously mentioned that the scrimmage with X two years ago was very close, I think it only proper to mention that these two teams also scrimmaged last year as well.

Here is my summary post on BGP (8/23/08) following last year's scrimmage.

"To your point, the scrimmage last year at Henry Clay was real close, but X was without about 5 starters. Henry Clay had a strong performance by Guy at RB and Phillipi at QB, but they have graduated.

In this year's full game condition scrimmage, the score overall ended 60-6. The first three quarters was varsity competition, and the Tigers prevailed 48-6. For the second week in a row, St. X.'s top offensive weapon, Deuce Finch, and their top defensive linebacker, Craig Brutscher, watched from the sidelines. The 4th quarter was reserved for JV competition, and the Tigers prevailed here also by a 12-0 count (extra points were not even attempted).

The most impressive thing about this Tiger showing was that I do not think any one player scored twice. The quality depth of this team is truly amazing.

Defensively, St. X. looked very sharp also, especially in secondary coverage, hard hitting, and team pursuit.

Despite the score, I was very impressed with the potential of this Henry Clay team. It is a squad with both excellent size and speed. Inexperience at the QB position seemed to be the biggest current problem for the Blue Devils. They have two talented young individuals currently playing the position, who just need more practice time and game condition reps to tie the whole package together.

Nonetheless, the bottom line is that 6A BGP #1 St. X. IS AWFULLY GOOD."

The final score of this year's scrimmage will probably come no where near to last year result, but I would be less than truthful if I did not say that I fully expect the 2009 addition of the Tigers to be every bit as good as last year. :cool:

On Friday, August 21st, the Tigers of St. Xavier High School will come to Lexington to scrimmage the Henry Clay Blue Devils.

Any thoughts and predictions on this Kentucky Class 6A scrimmage?

What time is the scrimmage? :confused:

Edited by Birdsfan
Rule 13