NFL Predictions

Eli has led a few comebacks without Plax in the game. He can do it...

I'm just basing it on the last six games of '08 when Plax was gone, he wasn't coming back, and everybody knew it. Eli didn't play very well.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just basing it on the last six games of '08 when Plax was gone, he wasn't coming back, and everybody knew it. Eli didn't play very well.

140-200 (70%), 1,595 yards, 8 TD's , 5 INT's, 85.2 QB Rating.

In 8 games without Plax this is what Eli produced.

This is the Seattle game early in the year, and then from the Arizona game on.

140-200 (70%), 1,595 yards, 8 TD's , 5 INT's, 85.2 QB Rating.

In 8 games without Plax this is what Eli produced.

This is the Seattle game early in the year, and then from the Arizona game on.

Like I said, I'm basing it on the last six games when Plax was officially done and everyone knew it.

Those numbers look more like this...

95/171 (55.6%), 181 ypg, 3 TD, 5 Int; 2 Wins, 4 Losses

To take it a little further, my argument was not aimed at Eli's overall numbers, but rather how he'd perform coming from behind.

Week 13 @ Washington - Not applicable. The Giants won 23-7 and never trailed. Eli played very good...21/34, 305 yards, TD, Int.

Week 14 vs. Philadelphia - Trailing 17-7 with 13:38 to play, Eli went 2/5 for 29 yards before being stopped on downs. The Eagles kicked a FG. The Giants scored a meaningless TD with 15 seconds left and lost 20-14.

Week 15 @ Dallas - Dallas scored with 12:13 to play to take a 14-3 lead. Eli goes 2/5 for 4 yards, the Giants punt and get a safety to make it 14-5. Eli goes 1/4 for 19 yards and the Giants kick a FG to make it 14-8. Cowboys score again to go up 20-8. Eli goes 4/6 for 38 yards and an interception. So, in a tight game in the 4th quarter, he was 7/15, 61 yards, Int.

Week 16 vs. Carolina - In this one, NY trailed 28-20 with 7 minutes to play...Eli went 3/4 for 40 yards and completed a two point conversion to Hixon to tie the game after Jacobs scored a TD. In OT, Derrick Ward ran for 82 yards on three carries to set up Jacobs game-winning TD.

Week 17 vs. Minnesota - Not applicable. The Giants blew a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter and Eli didn't play in the second half.

Playoffs vs. Philadelphia - Philly scored early in the fourth to take a 20-11 lead. On the next possession, NY ran on every play before Eli was stopped on a QB sneak on 4th and 1. On their next possession, Eli completed his only pass for 6 yards before the Giants were again stopped on fourth down. The Eagles tack on another FG to go up 23-11. Eli goes 2/3 for 23 yards and a pick. They get it back and he goes 3/4 for 21 yards before the drive ends with a fumble.

In those six games, he had one really good performance against Washington and one good clutch performance against Carolina. In the other four, he didn't play particularly well and he didn't do anything remotely close to "clutch".

I'm not saying he won't be, but he's not Tom Brady. We've seen Brady do it countless times with various receivers...we haven't seen Eli prove it without Burress. The jury is out until we do.

We have seen Eli do it without Burress. Playing without him is playing without him, it doesn't matter if you knownhe is out for the season or not. And I never claimed he was Tom Brady, no one is Tom Brady but Brady. However Eli is one of the better clutch QB's in the game IMO. He did lead the Giants on a game winning drive in the super bowl...

We have seen Eli do it without Burress. Playing without him is playing without him, it doesn't matter if you knownhe is out for the season or not. And I never claimed he was Tom Brady, no one is Tom Brady but Brady. However Eli is one of the better clutch QB's in the game IMO. He did lead the Giants on a game winning drive in the super bowl...

Burress missed 7 games while he was a Giant...in those 7 games, Eli played very good in two (Seattle & Washington). The rest of the performances ranged from average to bad.

Additionally, Eli's numbers after Burress was done for the year dropped significantly. It makes a difference when teams know he's not going to be there. They don't have to be spend a second game planning for him or even thinking about him. And, there's nobody else on the roster that puts pressure on defenses. You know that and you'd say as much if we weren't talking about the Giants.

Anyway, I think Eli is a solid NFL QB and he'll be fine. They'll make it work with what they have. But, I think the Giants will struggle in situations where they're behind and have to pass to catch up, unless somebody steps up at the WR position.

That's why they need to start Ramses Barden and throw to him exclusively in the red zone. :D

Like I said, I'm basing it on the last six games when Plax was officially done and everyone knew it.

Those numbers look more like this...

95/171 (55.6%), 181 ypg, 3 TD, 5 Int; 2 Wins, 4 Losses

To take it a little further, my argument was not aimed at Eli's overall numbers, but rather how he'd perform coming from behind.

Week 13 @ Washington - Not applicable. The Giants won 23-7 and never trailed. Eli played very good...21/34, 305 yards, TD, Int.

Week 14 vs. Philadelphia - Trailing 17-7 with 13:38 to play, Eli went 2/5 for 29 yards before being stopped on downs. The Eagles kicked a FG. The Giants scored a meaningless TD with 15 seconds left and lost 20-14.

Week 15 @ Dallas - Dallas scored with 12:13 to play to take a 14-3 lead. Eli goes 2/5 for 4 yards, the Giants punt and get a safety to make it 14-5. Eli goes 1/4 for 19 yards and the Giants kick a FG to make it 14-8. Cowboys score again to go up 20-8. Eli goes 4/6 for 38 yards and an interception. So, in a tight game in the 4th quarter, he was 7/15, 61 yards, Int.

Week 16 vs. Carolina - In this one, NY trailed 28-20 with 7 minutes to play...Eli went 3/4 for 40 yards and completed a two point conversion to Hixon to tie the game after Jacobs scored a TD. In OT, Derrick Ward ran for 82 yards on three carries to set up Jacobs game-winning TD.

Week 17 vs. Minnesota - Not applicable. The Giants blew a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter and Eli didn't play in the second half.

Playoffs vs. Philadelphia - Philly scored early in the fourth to take a 20-11 lead. On the next possession, NY ran on every play before Eli was stopped on a QB sneak on 4th and 1. On their next possession, Eli completed his only pass for 6 yards before the Giants were again stopped on fourth down. The Eagles tack on another FG to go up 23-11. Eli goes 2/3 for 23 yards and a pick. They get it back and he goes 3/4 for 21 yards before the drive ends with a fumble.

In those six games, he had one really good performance against Washington and one good clutch performance against Carolina. In the other four, he didn't play particularly well and he didn't do anything remotely close to "clutch".

I'm not saying he won't be, but he's not Tom Brady. We've seen Brady do it countless times with various receivers...we haven't seen Eli prove it without Burress. The jury is out until we do.

Nice break down... I think the G-men will contend for the NFC East, but I think the passing game will be thier achilles heel in the end...

Nice break down... I think the G-men will contend for the NFC East, but I think the passing game will be thier achilles heel in the end...

For me, it was a toss up between the Eagles and Giants in the NFC. I think the Giants will be very good again. And, I think their passing game will be solid for the most part...when they can dictate play. If they can pass when THEY want to, I don't see any problems. It's the situations where they're behind and have to pass and everyone knows it where I have some doubt. But, I don't expect them to be in that position very often.

For me, it was a toss up between the Eagles and Giants in the NFC. I think the Giants will be very good again. And, I think their passing game will be solid for the most part...when they can dictate play. If they can pass when THEY want to, I don't see any problems. It's the situations where they're behind and have to pass and everyone knows it where I have some doubt. But, I don't expect them to be in that position very often.

I still consider them the 3rd best team in the NFC... With their running game anything can happen...

Burress missed 7 games while he was a Giant...in those 7 games, Eli played very good in two (Seattle & Washington). The rest of the performances ranged from average to bad.

Additionally, Eli's numbers after Burress was done for the year dropped significantly. It makes a difference when teams know he's not going to be there. They don't have to be spend a second game planning for him or even thinking about him. And, there's nobody else on the roster that puts pressure on defenses. You know that and you'd say as much if we weren't talking about the Giants.

Anyway, I think Eli is a solid NFL QB and he'll be fine. They'll make it work with what they have. But, I think the Giants will struggle in situations where they're behind and have to pass to catch up, unless somebody steps up at the WR position.

That's why they need to start Ramses Barden and throw to him exclusively in the red zone. :D

Fact of the matter is losing Burress in the middle of a season hurts the Giants as much as it helps other teams. It also hurt Eli, simply because he wasn't used to having another receiver in there.

He didn't play that bad in some of those games, I watched them. The stats might look bad, but he did what he could do. Against the Eagles...he was awful. There's no denying that. He just played bad.

However, that was Eli with very little time to prepare for life without Burress. Now we get to see Eli with a lot of time to prepare for life without Burress. Eli is a very very dedicated athlete who studies and works his butt off in the off season to correct things that he does wrong. He has steadily improved each year IMO and I expect nothing less this year. I don't think he'll have a MVP type year, but that's just because the Giants offense isn't built for him to do that. I do think he'll have a solid year similar to last year with around 20-25 TD's and around 10 INTS.

And Burress missed 8 games if I'm not mistaken.

vs. Seattle

@ Arizona

@ Washington

vs. Philly

@ Dallas

vs Carolina

@ Minnesota

vs. Philly

And Burress missed 8 games if I'm not mistaken.

vs. Seattle

@ Arizona

@ Washington

vs. Philly

@ Dallas

vs Carolina

@ Minnesota

vs. Philly

He played against Arizona. He got hurt and left the game at some point without catching a pass. :thumb:

I just based it on the games he didn't suit up for.

Probably thinking of the Vikings and Eagles. But I think the Giants will prove to be better than both of those teams. :D

The Giants did beat the Super bowl champs, and super bowl runner up last year. :lol:

I really don't see the Vikings on par with Philly and NY...Favre makes them better, but not that much better.