Pirates Trade Nate McLouth to Atlanta

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the Braves didn't give up too much, this is a good move.

McLouth carried my fantasy team last year. He was great last season. He's come back down to Earth this year.

I don't know much about the prospects, but I think it was a solid trade for both teams.

As long as the Braves didn't give up too much, this is a good move.

McLouth carried my fantasy team last year. He was great last season. He's come back down to Earth this year.

I don't know much about the prospects, but I think it was a solid trade for both teams.

I listed who Atlanta gave up in the first post. The Braves top guy in the minors is Tommy Hanson, and they kept him. Also Schafer was kept as was Medlen. I've heard Hernandez and Locke were considered to be pretty good, but not VERY good as far as I know.

Hernandez, Morton and Locke.

Apparently McLouth signed a 3 year extension in February worth around $15 million. So the Braves aren't renting him for the remainder of the year.

Also the Braves are calling up Tommy Hanson to pitch Saturday according to ESPN.com.

CC,

Locke, rated the Braves' seventh-best prospect going into the season, was a second-round pick in 2006. After posting strong peripherals last season at Single-A Rome, the lefty with low-90s heat was struggling with his control at High-A Myrtle Beach this season. His current numbers include a 5.56 ERA and a 1.610 WHIP in 10 starts. LINK

Hernandez, the Braves' fourth-ranked prospect heading into the season, is a plus defender with speed, but he's almost completely without power. To his credit, he's holding his own at .316/.361/.387 in his first taste of Double-A this season. Hernandez will have to improve his plate discipline to make it as a lead-off hitting centerfielder.

And...

Morton has mastered Triple-A the past two seasons, but his 4-8 record with a 6.15 ERA in 15 starts in the second half of last season give reason for pause. In his defense, he was pitching with a back injury and lost 25 pounds late last year. With a low-90s fastball and four legitimate pitches, Morton could quickly find his way into the back end of the Pirates rotation.

LINK

McLouth has 9 homers this season, I believe. If I'm not mistaken that is 4 more than any current Braves player.

He's hitting .256 with 9 HR.

McLouth had a great year last season and that's how / why he got the extension. I didn't realize the Braves were that desperate for power. He'll fit in well in Atlanta. But, he's not going to match last year's production...