Pirates Trade Nate McLouth to Atlanta

Alright here is my take on the whole releasing of Glavine, and trading for McLouth.

1. Glavine has been done since his stint with the Mets. He has slowly been on the decline and never really gained anything. The Braves signed him hoping for a little bit but in the end realized that they made a terrible move by signing Glavine instead of Smoltz or adding Adam Dunn. I'm sure there was no hard feelings and the Braves released him so he could be free to pitch elsewhere. He will retire a Brave and that's all that matters. Braves fans should be thankful for all that he has done for the Braves organization and the Atlanta community. Congrats Tommy!

This also opens up the door for Hanson to step in sooner rather than later and get some experience while the Braves make a push for the playoffs.

2. Trading for McLouth was a great move in my opinion and I said texted to my friend right after they released Glavine that they were making a move because of it. McLouth is a solid bat and a good outfielder but I hope it really works out because Locke and Hernandez could end up being very good ball players in the big leagues. Obviously the Braves are heading into the all-star break as buyers by doing this trade after the Jason Bay trade fell through last season. He adds the power that the Braves are lacking as a whole team and will hopefully make players around him better, importantly Jeff Francouer.

Overall I like the move made by the Braves because it shows that they are letting go of the past (Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux) and moving on with the future (Medlen, Hanson, etc.) In order to be contenders you have to make a ball club better and I believe the Braves have done so and it will provide big dividends. Don't be surprised if the Braves still trade Vazquez once it gets closer to the deadline.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright here is my take on the whole releasing of Glavine, and trading for McLouth.

1. Glavine has been done since his stint with the Mets. He has slowly been on the decline and never really gained anything. The Braves signed him hoping for a little bit but in the end realized that they made a terrible move by signing Glavine instead of Smoltz or adding Adam Dunn. I'm sure there was no hard feelings and the Braves released him so he could be free to pitch elsewhere. He will retire a Brave and that's all that matters. Braves fans should be thankful for all that he has done for the Braves organization and the Atlanta community. Congrats Tommy!

This also opens up the door for Hanson to step in sooner rather than later and get some experience while the Braves make a push for the playoffs.

2. Trading for McLouth was a great move in my opinion and I said texted to my friend right after they released Glavine that they were making a move because of it. McLouth is a solid bat and a good outfielder but I hope it really works out because Locke and Hernandez could end up being very good ball players in the big leagues. Obviously the Braves are heading into the all-star break as buyers by doing this trade after the Jason Bay trade fell through last season. He adds the power that the Braves are lacking as a whole team and will hopefully make players around him better, importantly Jeff Francouer.

Overall I like the move made by the Braves because it shows that they are letting go of the past (Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux) and moving on with the future (Medlen, Hanson, etc.) In order to be contenders you have to make a ball club better and I believe the Braves have done so and it will provide big dividends. Don't be surprised if the Braves still trade Vazquez once it gets closer to the deadline.

There is literally ZERO chance that that happens.

I strongly beg to differ but to each his own.

Kawakami would be the one to be traded when Hudson comes back. Im sure that's when you were referring to. Bobby Cox LOVES Vazquez. He has been rock solid all year..there is no way he will be moved.

Kawakami would be the one to be traded when Hudson comes back. Im sure that's when you were referring to. Bobby Cox LOVES Vazquez. He has been rock solid all year..there is no way he will be moved.

Actually I would just about bet money on it that Vazquez will be the one who is dealt. He has more trade value than Kawakami does. Yeah Vazquez would probably be the one to keep but it doesn't really matter because the rotation will switch to Lowe, Jurjjens, Hudson, Hanson, Kawakami, and if they wanted too they could trade Kawakami in the offseason if they believe Medlen is ready.

As I said before, Vazquez will be traded by the deadline depending on how the outfield situation is by then and if the Braves are contending. I can see this playing out a couple of different ways depending on how things are going for which part of the offense and/or pitching staff but I still firmly believe that Vazquez will be the one traded and not Kawakami, whether it should be the other way around is another story.

I wouldn't trade Vazquez considering Hudson won't be back until August. Or that's what I've heard anyways. A rotation of Lowe, Vazquez, Jurjjens, Hudson, Hanson would be pretty sick. I think if anyone gets traded it should be Kawakami, but I'm not sure the Braves want to do that.

I expect McLouth's numbers to improve a lot hitting somewhere in between Jones and McCann. This is a great pickup by the Braves.

Lineup should look something like this:

1. Kelly Johnson- 2B

2. Yunel Escobar- SS

3. Chipper Jones- 3B

4. Nate McLouth- CF

5. Brian McCann- C

6. Casey Kotchman-1B

7. Garrett Anderson- LF

8. Jeff Francouer- RF

9 pitcher slot

I'm sure this may change just a bit depending on who's pitching but I have no problem with this lineup.

Chipper needs to stay in the 3 hole or I'd say put McLouth in that spot and have Chipper hitting cleanup but he doesn't fare to well in that spot.

Lineup should look something like this:

1. Kelly Johnson- 2B

2. Yunel Escobar- SS

3. Chipper Jones- 3B

4. Nate McLouth- CF

5. Brian McCann- C

6. Casey Kotchman-1B

7. Garrett Anderson- LF

8. Jeff Francouer- RF

9 pitcher slot

I'm sure this may change just a bit depending on who's pitching but I have no problem with this lineup.

Chipper needs to stay in the 3 hole or I'd say put McLouth in that spot and have Chipper hitting cleanup but he doesn't fare to well in that spot.

I doubt they would use that lineup against a lefty.

I'd like to see Escobar lead off against lefties and McLouth or Kelly Johnson against a right hander.

I doubt they would use that lineup against a lefty.

I'd like to see Escobar lead off against lefties and McLouth or Kelly Johnson against a right hander.

Braves need a true leadoff hitter. Did McLouth leadoff for the Pirates? Kelly isn't a leadoff hitter, nor is Escobar. I like Escobar in the 2 hole in front of Chipper because he gets a lot better pitches to hit.