NBA Superstars getting favorable calls debate...

I feel like this deserves a thread of its own.

Not to state the obvious, but the best players have the ball in their hands a lot and are the toughest to guard. Thus, shouldn't they be fouled more? Is it actually favorable treatment or are most of the calls legit?

I never really paid attention to it until Michael Jordan. I do think that some of the superstars do get the benefit of the doubt.

Benefit of the doubt, sure. I think some make it out to be more than it really is though.

FWIW, The NBA is the toughest league to officiate in all of sports IMO.

I thought Lebron may not have been hit last night at the end of the 4th quarter, but if he were to get favorable treatment then where was the call on Howard when Lebron took that 3 in overtime?

Very good no call on that play.

I agree 100% but to say that Lebron gets favorable treatment... I can't.

There were plenty of chances for the refs to make calls against the Magic last night in the 4th quarter and OT when Lebron would drive to the basket.

I think the game was well officiated. The Magic played better and came out on top.

The NBA has to be, by far, the toughest sport to officiate.

Benefit of the doubt, sure. I think some make it out to be more than it really is though.

No doubt it is the toughest league to officiate.

The problem with the benefit of the doubt is that guys like James, Wade, etc. can get to the hoop so easily, the refs give them the benefit of the doubt too many times because they get to the hoop, so many times.

I agree 100% but to say that Lebron gets favorable treatment... I can't.

There were plenty of chances for the refs to make calls against the Magic last night in the 4th quarter and OT when Lebron would drive to the basket.

I think the game was well officiated. The Magic played better and came out on top.

The NBA has to be, by far, the toughest sport to officiate.

LeBron can't get EVERY call, but he did get a lot last night. He had to have shot close to 10 free throws in the 4th quarter.

I think the treatment is favorable, but not nearly as much as people think.

I think Lebron got some calls last night. That was a horrible block call at the end of regulation to tie the game. That's a no call, the defender was backing up. It did bother me last night, and I honestly had no rooting interest. I just thought the Magic won the game and it would of been awful to see them lose on the block call. Especially when Howard got fouled on the inbound play and didn't get the call.

In OT, Howard got a clean block on him, and LB got the call. It really doesn't bother me, superstars get calls. That's just how it is, like it or not. Lebron gets away with a lot of stuff, like that fould in game three they called on Howard at the end of the game on the three pointer. It was a clean block, and LB got three free throws.

I think Lebron got some calls last night. That was a horrible block call at the end of regulation to tie the game. That's a no call, the defender was backing up. It did bother me last night, and I honestly had no rooting interest. I just thought the Magic won the game and it would of been awful to see them lose on the block call. Especially when Howard got fouled on the inbound play and didn't get the call.

In OT, Howard got a clean block on him, and LB got the call. It really doesn't bother me, superstars get calls. That's just how it is, like it or not. Lebron gets away with a lot of stuff, like that fould in game three they called on Howard at the end of the game on the three pointer. It was a clean block, and LB got three free throws.

That foul was on Lewis though, not Howard.

I couldn't agree with this statement more and I think too many people really forget how hard it would be to officiate these players. As big and as fast as they are. I can tell you from officiating basketball myself, you can't see everything that goes on, especially under the basket. They all get in the way.

I couldn't agree with this statement more and I think too many people really forget how hard it would be to officiate these players. As big and as fast as they are. I can tell you from officiating basketball myself, you can't see everything that goes on, especially under the basket. They all get in the way.

And you can see everything that goes on inside the battle of an offensive and defensive line?

I couldn't disagree more. The NBA might be hard to officiate because of all the babies constantly in your face whining, but the NFL appears harder to officiate IMO.

And you can see everything that goes on inside the battle of an offensive and defensive line?

I couldn't disagree more. The NBA might be hard to officiate because of all the babies constantly in your face whining, but the NFL appears harder to officiate IMO.

You are right about the battles that go on in there. But, you have time to think about what you see in football unless it's a false start or something like that. In basketball you have to call it right away, you don't have time to think. Plus for football, there are designated officials for certain spots and they mainly look for just those penalties, it's not the same for basketball, they have to be looking for just about everything.

Your opinion my be different and I respect that, but coming from someone who has officiated multiple sports quite a bit, I am firm that basketball would be the hardest and the NBA would be the toughest league to officiate as well.

You are right about the battles that go on in there. But, you have time to think about what you see in football unless it's a false start or something like that. In basketball you have to call it right away, you don't have time to think. Plus for football, there are designated officials for certain spots and they mainly look for just those penalties, it's not the same for basketball, they have to be looking for just about everything.

Your opinion my be different and I respect that, but coming from someone who has officiated multiple sports quite a bit, I am firm that basketball would be the hardest and the NBA would be the toughest league to officiate as well.

I guess it depends. I do think the NFL has gotten a lot easier to officiate since replay was brought in.

I guess it depends. I do think the NFL has gotten a lot easier to officiate since replay was brought in.

Yeah, gives the officials a scapegoat lol...but they are slowly using it in basketball now too with giving Flagrant fouls and taking them away after the fact.