Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"Preferred Walk On" Status?

Featured Replies

I see this term used so often these days. I think I know generally what it means, but was wondering if someone could provide some further insight.

 

Does a preferred walk on have an absolute guaranteed spot saved for them on the roster? Or do they still have to earn that roster spot during tryouts?

 

Since it's not as if the preferred walk on was actually given a scholarship, is it easy for a head coach to simply pull back this offer/status?

 

If a preferred walk on indeed is on the roster, does he/she receive pretty much all the same benefits as a scholarship player short of receiving academic tuition assistance? Things like teams meals, access to trainers, special living arrangements, etc..?

 

Is the main difference between a "preferred" walk on and just a plain, old regular walk on the guarantee of a roster spot?

 

If a plain, old regular walk makes the team, are they and the "preferred walk on" pretty much in the same boat at that point (i.e., non-scholarship athletes with a roster spot hoping to one day get some playing time and a scholarship)?

 

Does this preferred walk on status last all four years?

 

Anyone know the percentage of preferred walk ons that actually receive a scholarship of some sort down the road? I have heard it is very, very low, but could find no actual numbers posted anywhere.

Edited by cooperstown
spelling

  • Replies 43
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means they get to report for practice when scholarship players do. Non-preferred walk-ons have to wait until the first day of class. This gives them an advantage.

  • Author
It means they get to report for practice when scholarship players do. Non-preferred walk-ons have to wait until the first day of class. This gives them an advantage.

 

No roster guarantee at all?! I thought that was the whole point of a preferred walk on - you were given a spot on the team, but no scholarship, yet the opportunity to perhaps turn that spot into a scholarship down the road. I certainly thought it had a little more value that just being allowed to show up the same day as the scholarship players to fight for a roster spot.

By arriving at the same time as the scholarship players, they are given equal oppertunity to absorb information, instead of being 3 weeks behind......:walk:

  • Author
By arriving at the same time as the scholarship players, they are given equal oppertunity to absorb information, instead of being 3 weeks behind......:walk:

 

I agree and that's certainly a benefit. I just thought "preferred walk on" meant a little more than that. Are you certain that's all it entails? I mean, if the coach thought this player had a truly legitimate shot of making and helping the team, wouldn't he have offered at least a small partial scholarship?

No roster guarantee at all?! I thought that was the whole point of a preferred walk on - you were given a spot on the team, but no scholarship, yet the opportunity to perhaps turn that spot into a scholarship down the road. I certainly thought it had a little more value that just being allowed to show up the same day as the scholarship players to fight for a roster spot.

 

My guess is that with scholarship limitations the "preferred walk on" is treated as an extra scholarship without the school paying for the education. In other words, they're on the team.

I agree and that's certainly a benefit. I just thought "preferred walk on" meant a little more than that. Are you certain that's all it entails? I mean, if the coach thought this player had a truly legitimate shot of making and helping the team, wouldn't he have offered at least a small partial scholarship?

 

I'm not sure of all of the ins and outs; however, I do know that the Preferred Walk On has an advantage over the Walk On who is not......

Generally, a "preferred walk-on" is already assured of a spot on the team, because the coaching staff has seen enough ability in him to invite him to be part of the program.

  • Author
Generally, a "preferred walk-on" is already assured of a spot on the team, because the coaching staff has seen enough ability in him to invite him to be part of the program.

 

And generally speaking, no scholarship offer at that point because either the school is out of them or the coach isn't quite convinced that the player is yet a "scholarship-worthy" candidate? I'm wondering how many preferred walk on actually end up getting a scholarship, though. It can't be many.

 

It sure seems like a great way for a coach to bring in some decent talent for a little "look see", but not have to commit any of his limited resources.

I signed with Morehead State and I was a "Preferred Walk On". They don' offer scholarship so everybody is a "Preferred Walk On". Divison 1AA. It's the same as a scholarship player except without the money being there. Walk on players transfer alot.

My understaning is that a "preferred walk-on" has a reserved roster spot and report to summer camp with the scholarship players. All regular walk-ons report the first day of school.

 

I could be wrong but that is my understanding.

Perferred walk on is something that colleges coaches came up with to make it sound better than it really is. The bottom line is if you don't get a grant and aid you are a walk on period that is how it is. They say perferred walk on to make mommy and daddy feel better. It sounds hard but it is true, a walk on is a walk on.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

  • Author
perferred walkon is something that colleges coaches came up with to make it sound better than it really is. The bottom line is if you dont get a grant and aid you are a walkon period that is how it is. They say perferred walkon to make mommy and daddy feel better. It sounds hard but it is true, a walk on is a walkon.

 

Based on that article (and other things I've read) though, a preferred walk on seems to be guaranteed one of the 105 roster spots (football) and has apparently been personally invited by the coach so that he can show up the same time as the scholarship players. While it certainly doesn't equate to anything near a scholarship offer, it does sound like more than just a typical walk on who shows up unannounced and hopes to land a million-to-one spot on the roster.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.