Just for fun... How would Boone County have done in the State tournament?

I didn't see Boone Co, but some very good teams didn't make it.

Boone, Scott Co, J'town, and Ballard all would have probably had a shot at it if they would have been there. Or even Franklin Co. Thats whats great about a 1 game format though. Anything can happen and Central can lay claim to being the 2nd best team in the state this evening.

I think Christian County would have beaten Boone County.

I saw both teams and I agree that CC would have won.

With that being said, who cares? There are so many if, ands, or buts throughout the 9th region tournament. What if NCC doesn't hit their last second shot? What if Conner doesn't blow it at the end against Ryle? What if Romas doesn't get hurt for Beechwood? What if Highland's football players play this year? What if Mitch Shover isn't sick all season for Cov. Cath? With all the scenarios, I still see Holmes winning the 9th.:notworthy:

I saw both teams and I agree that CC would have won.

With that being said, who cares? There are so many if, ands, or buts throughout the 9th region tournament. What if NCC doesn't hit their last second shot? What if Conner doesn't blow it at the end against Ryle? What if Romas doesn't get hurt for Beechwood? What if Highland's football players play this year? What if Mitch Shover isn't sick all season for Cov. Cath? With all the scenarios, I still see Holmes winning the 9th.:notworthy:

Hence the "Just for fun", you did see that right?

Having a thread about a team that was inches away from beating the state champs in regionals is just crazy isn't it? :rolleyes:

Sometimes, well maybe alot of times, Teams who you think would do well don't always handle the big stage as well as others. There's been other 9th region Teams who have went to the State tournament and had pretty decent draws. Talent wise, alot of those Teams should of done much better than they did. That said, I believe Boone played in some pretty good tournaments this year and playing at BOK has to benefit future Teams I would think. Boone would of competed very well imo.

Boone if on there A game may have made it to Elliott Co, but that is where it would have ended IMO. I think they would have struggled with Christian Co a little but they are sound enough defensively and run a good offense that they would have prevailed. I think that as bad as Lex Cath played in that second round game Boone could have beat them by 10+ but Elliott would have been where the buck stopped. Holmes defensively had the athleticism to get out on all 5 elliott players on the parimeter and to guard the back door plays at the same time. I dont think Boone's bigs would have had the athleticism to keep up with Knipp and the boys from elliott.

I played for Boone County, I've seen Boone and Holmes 10+ times this year each and I went to the State tournament for every game that Holmes played.

I have zero reason to be biased in the favor of Holmes and against Boone.

And I can say that I have serious doubts that Boone would have beaten Christian County and I'm extremely doubtful they could have beaten Lex Cath.

When you play regional opponents you have a significant advantage in scouting your opponent (as opposed to teams across the state) and you have a much better idea of what the local teams like to do, how to stop them and how best to exploit their weaknesses for yourself to prosper.

When you get to Rupp, it's basically 100% about player personnel and talent. It becomes less about strategy and more about who has the best players, not only because there is less knowledge of your opponent to be gained from seeing them play throughout the year, but once you get passed the first round you have less than 1 day to even prepare for said opponent, and of course in the finals you have less than 8 hours.

Having said that, I don't really like this debate because it's waaaay too hypothetical. Who knows how well kids like Gabbard and McFarland would have handled the big stage and how much they would have stepped up (or not at all). They may have excelled there and played their best ball of the year or they may not have been able to handle it at all.

Every single year you see teams underachieve and overachieve in Rupp, for various reasons.

Boone had a very nice team this year, but I think looking at it on the surface they would have had a significant athletic disadvantage against teams like Christian Co and Lex Cath.

Boone had a lot going for them. Versitile with their tempo. Defensively sound. Pretty athletic. What I wasn't impressed with though was the trouble they had scoring the ball. They had no 3 ball to speak of. They were awful from the line. When they did score it was typically painful to watch where they usually seemed to score on second, third, forth etc... chance attempts. Sure, if they were playing a lesser team (smaller, slower) than themselves they could rack up some points in transistion, but they weren't going to be facing any lesser teams if they had made it to Rupp, and without a 3 ball and being terrible from the line, they would have been 1 and done.

Boone if on there A game may have made it to Elliott Co, but that is where it would have ended IMO. I think they would have struggled with Christian Co a little but they are sound enough defensively and run a good offense that they would have prevailed. I think that as bad as Lex Cath played in that second round game Boone could have beat them by 10+ but Elliott would have been where the buck stopped. Holmes defensively had the athleticism to get out on all 5 elliott players on the parimeter and to guard the back door plays at the same time. I dont think Boone's bigs would have had the athleticism to keep up with Knipp and the boys from elliott.

I agree. Boone would have made it to Elliot. Boone's guards certainly would have matched up pretty well with Elliot's guards. Cotton would have been able to stay with Ferguson. Gabbard and Popp can play with the Faulkners, but Boone was using only one guard at the end of the season, so that would have been a problem for them against Elliot.