Highlands: Most significant win and loss???

jbwill2

I am curious to hear from Highlands BGP'ers what the most significant win and loss has been for the Bluebirds. Keep in mind that "significant" can mean different things, so be sure to explain why the win/loss was significant.

I believe that one of the most devastating losses has to be the "Mudbowl" vs Cov Cath in 1997. If there is no mud, I believe HHS rolls CCH and goes on to the state championship. I believe most people believed that the game was over in the first half when HHS went out to a pretty big lead.

I believe that one of the most devastating losses has to be the "Mudbowl" vs Cov Cath in 1997. If there is no mud, I believe HHS rolls CCH and goes on to the state championship. I believe most people believed that the game was over in the first half when HHS went out to a pretty big lead.

And the single biggest (of many) reasons why HHS installed field turf on their field, how many years later jbwill2?

And the single biggest (of many) reasons why HHS installed field turf on their field, how many years later jbwill2?

They went to Bermuda after that. I believe that they had that through the Guidugli/Hamblen/Scott/Grover class.

Some games that I can think of off the top of my head...

Wins:

- 1982, when HHS beat Christian County 23-13 in week one; Christian County then went on to win the (old) Class 4A state title that year

- 1998, when HHS beat Male 51-41 in week one; Male then went on to win the (old) Class 4A state title that year

Significance of these two wins (same reason): in both seasons mentioned above, Highlands defeated the team that went on to win the state's big-class championship, thereby giving legitimacy to the claim that HHS was "best in state" that year, regardless of football class.

- 2000, when HHS beat Trinity 42-29 in week one

Significance of this win: this game marks the second (and last, to-date) time these two KY powers played; Trinity won the first meeting between these two programs, so this game is the only time HHS has ever beaten the state's top football program (Trinity).

Loss:

- 2002, when Rockcastle County beat HHS 45-6 in the state playoffs

Significance of this loss: I believe this loss is the most lopsided playoff loss HHS ever suffered.

More games...

Wins:

- 2007, when HHS beat Trotwood-Madison (Ohio) 24-20 in week two

Significance of this win: this game, part of the 2007 Herbstreit Classic, was a milestone, since it marked the first time that a KY team participated in (and also won a game in) the Herbstreit Classic. I don't know how much longer the "Herbie" will be around, but for the past few years it has been the premiere national event in prep football.

- 1994, when HHS beat Leslie County 47-12 in the state playoffs

Significance of this game: this playoff game was a rematch of a regular season game, which was won by Leslie County (this was Tim Couch's senior year). The playoff game was a blowout by HHS at HHS, in Tim Couch's last high school football game. I suspect that there were more media-affiliated people present for that game than at any other game in Fort Thomas, before or since. Also, Tim Couch is probably the most celebrated high school football player HHS has ever faced.

Loss:

- 2001, when Male beat HHS 30-0 in week two

Significance of this game: HHS hosted Male and got blown out by the Bulldogs 30-0, in a game that was (mercifully) stopped at halftime on account of lightning. Given that the game was only played for one half, this may be the worst home loss for HHS ever.

Edited by jbwill2

More games...

Wins:

- 2007, when HHS beat Trotwood-Madison (Ohio) 24-20 in week two

Significance of this win: this game, part of the 2007 Herbstreit Classic, was a milestone, since it marked the first time that a KY team participated in (and also won a game in) the Herbstreit Classic. I don't know how much longer the "Herbie" will be around, but for the past few years it has been the premiere national event in prep football.

- 1994, when HHS beat Leslie County 47-12 in the state playoffs

Significance of this game: this playoff game was a rematch of a regular season game, which was won by Leslie County (this was Tim Couch's senior year). The playoff game was a blowout by HHS at HHS, in Tim Couch's last high school football game. I suspect that there were more media-affiliated people present for that game than at any other game in Fort Thomas, before or since. Also, Tim Couch is probably the most celebrated high school football player HHS has ever faced.

Loss:

- 2001, when Male beat HHS 30-0 in week two

Significance of this game: HHS hosted Male and got blown out by the Bulldogs 30-0, in a game that was (mercifully) stopped at halftime on account of lightning. Given that the game was only played for one half, this perhaps could be considered the worst home loss for HHS ever.

The real turning point for Highlands in terms of being a premiere football power in Kentucky took place in 1960 with the victory over Louisville Male in Fort Thomas. It was the greatest game I've ever seen. Male was ranked #1 in the state and had the top running back in Kentucky. Highlands went into the game ranked #2 in the state. Highlands went on to win the Class AA state championship that year. The team featured Roger Walz (UK, UC) at quarterback, Jim and John Burt (WKU) at running back, Bob Steinhauser (UC) at end, Joe Ross (Air Force) at end and Alan Berry (Duke) at tackle. Highlands won 50 consecutive regular season games during this period and also won the state championship in 1961 on a team that featured Walz and Mike McGraw (UK, Baltimore Colts).

The real turning point for Highlands in terms of being a premiere football power in Kentucky took place in 1960 with the victory over Louisville Male in Fort Thomas. It was the greatest game I've ever seen. Male was ranked #1 in the state and had the top running back in Kentucky. Highlands went into the game ranked #2 in the state. Highlands went on to win the Class AA state championship that year. The team featured Roger Walz (UK, UC) at quarterback, Jim and John Burt (WKU) at running back, Bob Steinhauser (UC) at end, Joe Ross (Air Force) at end and Alan Berry (Duke) at tackle. Highlands won 50 consecutive regular season games during this period and also won the state championship in 1961 on a team that featured Walz and Mike McGraw (UK, Baltimore Colts).

Bears repeating... will it ever happen again?

I would say no, if they continue to schedule Cincy powerhouses.

Probably true. Had we not scheduled Colerain last year and didn't have Cinti X on our schedule this year, we very well could have been looking at 45 straight by the end of the 09 season. I highlighted the word "could", because we have some very good teams on our schedule this year that are very capable of beating us, plus with the returning starters on Johnson Central's and Whitley's team, we will have to win some tough games in the playoffs.

Having said that about the Cincy powerhouses making it tough to put together long winning streaks, I love the fact that we play them. To me, a long winning streak is less important than our kids getting the opportunity to play against some of the premier football teams in the country and the opportunity to help prepare our kids to win state.

Probably true. Had we not scheduled Colerain last year and didn't have Cinti X on our schedule this year, we very well could have been looking at 45 straight by the end of the 09 season. I highlighted the word "could", because we have some very good teams on our schedule this year that are very capable of beating us, plus with the returning starters on Johnson Central's and Whitley's team, we will have to win some tough games in the playoffs.

Having said that about the Cincy powerhouses making it tough to put together long winning streaks, I love the fact that we play them. To me, a long winning streak is less important than our kids getting the opportunity to play against some of the premier football teams in the country and the opportunity to help prepare our kids to win state.

I totally agree:thumb:

I agee as well. The players would rather play in the big games... get some exposure and, who knows, possibly walk away with a "W."

I also agree that long win streaks must be taken with a grain of salt. Case in point: Charlotte (NC) Independence had the nations' longest active win streak when they took on Cincy Elder in the 2007 Herbie. Independence won a lot of games against rather mediocre competition within NC, and when they took on a higher-quality program like Elder, their streak was snapped.

I suspect that Highlands (and several other KY programs, for that matter) could set up some pretty easy schedules for themselves if their only goal was to improve the regular season W-L record.