Who has the worst pep section?

smokey

Are you serious? Have you ever been to an Elliott County game. That gym is packed, and almost every home game they have to open the PAC so people can watch the game on an overhead. I am a teacher at Elliott and every game I go to, it is full of students. Probally close to two thirds of the students I have are at the game. I have attended many local games and never seen the fire that an Elliott Co. crowd has. To even mention Elliott County in this thread is beyond my comprehension.

I agree Elliott has great fan support.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended the game last Friday against Mason Co. and I did not see a very big student section. For a 6A school that has 1500-2000 (not exactly sure, somebody help on enrollment) there were not many there. But, it is not just there, it is everywhere that I have been to games.

Also any game when GRC has traveled to Mason they have brought there fair share of students and fans at the game the other night when Mason traveled to Winchester I didn't spot 10 students from Mason!

Attending a Greenup game is like attending a funeral its so quiet. Elliott always looks like there is so many fans because the gym is the size of an elementarys gym. I would have to say LC's blue crew has some of the most tenacious, cold fans and are almost always into it even if its a blowout. The pep section there also rides the refs more than any other student section does.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

As far as the students standing and cheering for their school.

I would say that Greenup is one of the worst I have seen. Their are a few fans that stand and clap and cheer when the boys come on the floor but

their is a lot that just sit their. The student section hardly ever stands up and cheers at all.:irked:

This seems to work in cycles, though winning makes a big difference on how long the cycle goes. Without going into details that may get me suspended, there is a reason why their student section got " reigned in." Students graduate however, and maybe its time to cut some slack and let the student fans be fans again.

I would have to say LC's blue crew has some of the most tenacious, cold fans and are almost always into it even if its a blowout. The pep section there also rides the refs more than any other student section does.

Obviously you haven't attended a GRC home game:lol::lol::lol:

Holmes could be in the top ten in this to, can remember the days when there was standing room only. Terrible overall fan count. Not much of a student section, if any at times. :idunno::irked:

I've never been to Holmes home gym but it does seem like when I've been to the state tournament and watched them play they really don't have many fans there. Surprising considering the teams they have had the last two years and this year as well.

This seems to work in cycles, though winning makes a big difference on how long the cycle goes. Without going into details that may get me suspended, there is a reason why their student section got " reigned in." Students graduate however, and maybe its time to cut some slack and let the student fans be fans again.

I agree they have been "reigned in" from the past but if you are a student and come to the game and you sit in the pepsection and don't stand cheer or do anything through the whole game is just awful. That is Greenup's whole pepsection.

I agree that the crowd can make a huge difference in a close game. In most school cheerleading has become its own sport more involved in tumbling and competing than spirit.

If the cheerleaders led the crowd and made it fun, more students would want to be involved - kids sitting in the student section need to be led. I am not taking anything away from the cheerleaders who want to compete in their own sport - but maybe schools need to offer both - competition teams and spirit teams and not expect one group to do both. I am sure I am showing my age, but many great high school memories are of game nights - big crowds, rivalry, excitement.

Go to an 11th Region game not at Scott County or Lexington Catholic...

Maybe I shouldn't paint with such a broad brush, but I've been to games at Lafayette, Tates Creek, Henry Clay - pretty much the same.

I think you are describing the Lexington teams more than the 11th region as a whole. I agree with you to that end. Madison Central had a good student section, but not many other fans Friday night. Franklin County, Woodford and Western Hills all draw pretty well at home. I don't know about Dunbar this year.