Shelby Valley 55 Elliott County 52

This is very true, look at the past few state champs:

Mason County- Darius Miller (didn't play inside a lot but when he decided to go down there was a monster and unstoppable!)

Scott County- Jordan Lee, and Richie Phares really controlled the paint.

Jeffersontown- Thomas Coleman(I believe that was his name) was a very dominant player.

South Laurel- Walt Allen was a monster down low.

Warren Central- Lonnell Dewalt, Matt Maresca, enough said, were really the keys to that championship team!

I just think you have to have a good solid big man to go the distance in Rupp, and while Timmy Knipp is a good player, I don't think he exactly fits that role.

Walt Allen was a monster down low, but you're leaving out South Laurel's true big man - Eric Fields. He was the starting center and had three solid games.:thumb:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we all atleast agree that maybe EC was ranked a little too high when people had them in not only the top 3, but also the top 5?

I think Shelby Valley is just better than you think. They lost to Knott Central without their best player, thats their only in state loss and all their losses came when Justice was hurt. SV can play with absolutely anybody in this state, they have great guard play, quickness, and size. I think they are at the very least one of the top 5 or 6 teams in the state at this point.

Elliott was beat by a very good team today, anyone can beat anyone on a given night and after last night looks like the almighty Holms is beatable.

True, even Holmes

What does Holmes have to do with THIS thread and game? :rolleyes::idunno:

I think Shelby Valley is just better than you think. They lost to Knott Central without their best player, thats their only in state loss and all their losses came when Justice was hurt. SV can play with absolutely anybody in this state, they have great guard play, quickness, and size. I think they are at the very least one of the top 5 or 6 teams in the state at this point.

See some of my posts from page 1...you'll see that you and I are on the same page about SV. I know they're a VERY GOOD team. I've said ANYBODY in the state would have trouble matching up with them.

From talking to several folks who were at this game, SV wins by 15-20 if they make their free throws throughout the game.

Great high school game to watch. Shelby Valley has been flying under the radar for many....they are for real. Well coached, nice players rotation, with some depth on the bench.

We could see a rematch of this game today in the semi-finals of the state tourney.

Elliott was not hitting the 3 today...didn't seem to have their legs...and yes we have gone over this before of bench play for Elliott.

Both teams today have real nice ball clubs. Best of luck to both teams the rest of the year. I will be keeping up with both teams.:thumb:

Thats the point I think a lot of people was trying to make over the past 2 days when Elliott was playing starters 20 to 24 min. and winning by 61 and 43 points. I know they had not good practices because of the weather but they should not have played there people that much when they did not have to. Again that comes back to coaching IMO and worrying more about certain players than what would be best for your team.

Thats the point I think a lot of people was trying to make over the past 2 days when Elliott was playing starters 20 to 24 min. and winning by 61 and 43 points. I know they had not good practices because of the weather but they should not have played there people that much when they did not have to. Again that comes back to coaching IMO and worrying more about certain players than what would be best for your team.

:thumb:

See some of my posts from page 1...you'll see that you and I are on the same page about SV. I know they're a VERY GOOD team. I've said ANYBODY in the state would have trouble matching up with them.

From talking to several folks who were at this game, SV wins by 15-20 if they make their free throws throughout the game.

SV missed 11 straight free throws down the stretch.

Can we all atleast agree that maybe EC was ranked a little too high when people had them in not only the top 3, but also the top 5?

No, I just think Shelby Valley was ranked way to low. I think they could beat Holmes or Scott County.

EC’s overall shooting percentage was atrocious today connecting on only 6 of 24 outside the three point line. Whether that’s because SV played great D and put EC off stride, or EC just had one of those days where the shots don’t fall like they normally do, or a little of both... SV simply came out and played great while EC struggled. EC just got in too deep before they were able to get things clicking in the second half. They just missed digging themselves out in a very gutsy second half.

As far as statewide rankings, I don’t think it’s as easy as some seem to think. EC would give every team currently in the Top 10 fits, just because they play so hard and don’t seem to know how to quit. When they’re hitting their shots, (en fuego… on fire) they would be a tough night for any Top 5 team in the state. I honestly think there are 5 or 6 teams in the Top 10 that EC matches up well enough to beat on any given night… so burying them in the Top 11-20 after one very close loss to a very good team is not a safe bet IMO. Or to put it another way, it would be very foolish for any team in Kentucky to overlook EC just because they might fall a bit in the rankings after this loss.

All that aside, hats off to SV for a great game against a very good opponent. If anything, SV deserves to be ranked higher than they were.