Shelby Valley 55 Elliott County 52

After watching Elliott County I have one question: Does their coach do any coaching?? It doesn't seem like it. Elliott was simply outcoached today.

Which again, goes back to the question of why doesn't he play the reserves more in blow outs to develop depth?

EC has a strong starting 5, but honestly aren't going to beat teams with height in the post who also have depth. (Shelby Valley being the example to prove my point)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Wireman?

I don't know but someone needs to be with him at all times. Between this and the UK loss.......:p

Anyways, nice win for SV. I'll admit it- sometimes those of us (the non-players, at least) from NKY, Lexington, and Louisville are very skeptical about teams from outside those areas. And while the Elliot County people have been hammering us about this for a few weeks now, I think this game proves one thing- from outside those aforementioned areas, it's not just 1 team we have to worry about- Shelby Valley is a contender too!

I don't know but someone needs to be with him at all times. Between this and the UK loss.......:p

Anyways, nice win for SV. I'll admit it- sometimes those of us (the non-players, at least) from NKY, Lexington, and Louisville are very skeptical about teams from outside those areas. And while the Elliot County people have been hammering us about this for a few weeks now, I think this game proves one thing- from outside those aforementioned areas, it's not just 1 team we have to worry about- Shelby Valley is a contender too![/QUOTE]

:thumb:

Congrats to Shelby Valley on a good win.

I'm not sure what the bigger surprise is. Elliott County losing or being held to 52 points.

Has to be the 52 points. Shelby Valley is just as talented as Elliott, and that's a compliment to Valley. I think the difference is that if Elliott shoots the three poorly, they lose. Elliott does not have an inside game. And to win a state championship of any kind in basketball, you need to have a dominant player on the inside. If you look at the stats on the year so far, Elliott hasn't shot the three for a high percentage consistantly. This loss shouldn't be considered a upset at all, you had two good teams doing battle and the over all best team won. This loss may be what Elliott needed to get ready for the rest of the season. They can get back in the gym and work on the inside game and try to use Timmy Knipp more as a post up player. For the rest of the 16th region, I'm not sure I would want to be their next opponent.:thumb:

Whether you know it or not, it is a pretty long drive back to Sandy Hook.

My question was a serious question..I honestly have no clue where Sandy Hook/Elliott Co is in regards to EKU/Lexington, other than it's right next to Morgan Co.

Has to be the 52 points. Shelby Valley is just as talented as Elliott, and that's a compliment to Valley. I think the difference is that if Elliott shoots the three poorly, they lose. Elliott does not have an inside game. And to win a state championship of any kind in basketball, you need to have a dominant player on the inside. If you look at the stats on the year so far, Elliott hasn't shot the three for a high percentage consistantly. This loss shouldn't be considered a upset at all, you had two good teams doing battle and the over all best team won. This loss may be what Elliott needed to get ready for the rest of the season. They can get back in the gym and work on the inside game and try to use Timmy Knipp more as a post up player. For the rest of the 16th region, I'm not sure I would want to be their next opponent.:thumb:

This is very true, look at the past few state champs:

Mason County- Darius Miller (didn't play inside a lot but when he decided to go down there was a monster and unstoppable!)

Scott County- Jordan Lee, and Richie Phares really controlled the paint.

Jeffersontown- Thomas Coleman(I believe that was his name) was a very dominant player.

South Laurel- Walt Allen was a monster down low.

Warren Central- Lonnell Dewalt, Matt Maresca, enough said, were really the keys to that championship team!

I just think you have to have a good solid big man to go the distance in Rupp, and while Timmy Knipp is a good player, I don't think he exactly fits that role.

:rolleyes:

You've seen Elliott Co a lot..Can you honestly say that playing the bench kids more in blow outs to develop depth isn't more important than the starters seeing the floor atleast 20 mins every night to get their numbers, despite being up 30 and 40 points at halftime? Until Mays starts developing depth, you're not going to see Elliott Co beat a top 10 team. Today is the perfect example and EC's match ups against top 20 teams last year also prove my point.

Teams with size and decent guard play are going to continue to pound the ball inside because they know EC has no depth. The coach from SV had a very good game plan today and his players executed it to perfection. You can't just rely on running and gunning and the 3 ball to win a state title.