13th region may be better than the pundits think

Depressing was what I saw last week at HHS, the game with HC, that was all of the basketball players in Harlan county on the court at the same time, and it was ugly. There are some really good kids playing for both teams that work hard at the game, but lets face it the talent level in this county has sunk to an all time low. Think back about a dozen years ago, when coach Jones was roaming on the home bench at HHS, his teams were some of the best in this era, but Cawood had some pretty good teams along with Cumberland, and when coach Parsons was at Evarts they could beat most teams on a given night. The only reason it could be is the level of talent that each coach has to work with, you know that coach Jones is as good as they come and Coach Lester came up through coach Jones's program, so he knows what it takes. I normally try to put a positive spin on most things that has to do with high school athletics but as of now I just can't see it.:cry:

My opinion is that BASKETBALL as a whole is down as it has been for the last couple of years. Take Corbin out of the mix and HC could beat the rest on a given night out of the 13th. However, several could beat them as well. HC will keep on improving and they will keep getting better. HC is young and with Jones we will get to were we need to be. Maybe not this year, or next but just remember we will get there. As for the city you can decide for yourself.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depressing was what I saw last week at HHS, the game with HC, that was all of the basketball players in Harlan county on the court at the same time, and it was ugly. There are some really good kids playing for both teams that work hard at the game, but lets face it the talent level in this county has sunk to an all time low. Think back about a dozen years ago, when coach Jones was roaming on the home bench at HHS, his teams were some of the best in this era, but Cawood had some pretty good teams along with Cumberland, and when coach Parsons was at Evarts they could beat most teams on a given night. The only reason it could be is the level of talent that each coach has to work with, you know that coach Jones is as good as they come and Coach Lester came up through coach Jones's program, so he knows what it takes. I normally try to put a positive spin on most things that has to do with high school athletics but as of now I just can't see it.:cry:

There's no way to prove it, but I'd take Harlan County over an all-star team from 1988 or 1989. They certainly don't compare to the mid 80s or mid 90s, but they could hold their own with other seasons.

I think they are close to being a pretty good team. They played the No. 2 team in the 15th Region to the wire at their gym and beat one of the better teams in the 6th Region and rolled over the team ranked fifth in the 14th Region in the preseason by 20 on Friday.

The way I understand it 20 years is a generation so to put this group against the 88-89 classes, (which I understand to be the worst year in Harlan Co basketball history) that seems to me to be to big of a time span. Times change people change and kids really have changed in their desire to play sports at the levels of their predecessors, most kids that are tabbed the stars of the future in Middle school for some reason never find the court in high school. Three of the best players in the county league two years ago are not on either team. So is it that they loose there desire to play? Or maybe to get to the levels of past Jones, or Harlan High teams is just asking too much of these youngsters. So if I am alone in my observations, I still stand by opinions. Of the group that is playing at this time do you see anyone that could play college ball? I sure don't, but this about talent and work ethic, not if a student is a good person, most of these players are pretty good kids, just not when it comes to hoops.

There's no way to prove it, but I'd take Harlan County over an all-star team from 1988 or 1989. They certainly don't compare to the mid 80s or mid 90s, but they could hold their own with other seasons.

I think they are close to being a pretty good team. They played the No. 2 team in the 15th Region to the wire at their gym and beat one of the better teams in the 6th Region and rolled over the team ranked fifth in the 14th Region in the preseason by 20 on Friday.

I agree 100%!

I was talking about two seasons in 1988 and 1989.

As far as the college angle, you see more than me. You said Hubbs wasn't a college player, so if he wasn't then we haven't had any (except for Johnson and Wilson last year) since Boo Fields or going back to Casey Lester, Nathan Blanton and Chris Shackleford.

I just don't think it's quite as bad as you. As far as talking about middle school stars not sticking with it. If you remember when Jones arrived at Harlan, he started a sophomore, a couple of freshmen and an eighth grader his first year and was regional champion by year two. There were several classes that basically quit after being passed up by the young phenoms.

I'm not comparing then and now, but it happens as far as players giving up the sport. When I was in high school, Cawood started two frosh and two sophomores one year and went to the regional finals. Of course, the one senior was Phil Cox.

There have always been middle school superstars who didn't make it in high school or were role players at best. I'm sure you can think of some.

I posed my thoughts to someone that has been around much longer than you or I, HDE, he was the builder of the Harlan teams from the 90s, and he also played on some pretty good teams in the 60s that won the 13 region a time or two. His feeling was that he can't believe that the level of basketball has fallen so far so fast. I do however agree that the stars of middle school not playing is nothing new, but of the last 2-3 classes the three that I am refering to, were by far the best we had seen, and for them choosing not to play for whatever reason, is cause for concern.

I don't see the "best we had seen part" at all.

If Harlan County is that bad, they should have starred for them this year, and I doubt any of them would have even started.

You're giving too much credit to the ones not willing to pay the price in practice and not enough to those who are competing every day and getting better.

An all-star team of those not playing would lose by 30 to the actual team.

I was talking about two seasons in 1988 and 1989.

As far as the college angle, you see more than me. You said Hubbs wasn't a college player, so if he wasn't then we haven't had any (except for Johnson and Wilson last year) since Boo Fields or going back to Casey Lester, Nathan Blanton and Chris Shackleford.

I just don't think it's quite as bad as you. As far as talking about middle school stars not sticking with it. If you remember when Jones arrived at Harlan, he started a sophomore, a couple of freshmen and an eighth grader his first year and was regional champion by year two. There were several classes that basically quit after being passed up by the young phenoms.

I'm not comparing then and now, but it happens as far as players giving up the sport. When I was in high school, Cawood started two frosh and two sophomores one year and went to the regional finals. Of course, the one senior was Phil Cox.

There have always been middle school superstars who didn't make it in high school or were role players at best. I'm sure you can think of some.

I think Lester and Blanton played on the last really good team to play in the 13th in 96. That team was not loaded with talent. They played hard and played as a team.

My original post was about the 52nd dist not winning a game in the region, and then on to the level of overall basketball in this county/city. What I want to express is that we don't have a team playing up to the past standards set by a number of teams throughout our county. I have given the reasons as to why I feel we have fallen, it isnt supposed to be offensive to any one player or coach. I would like to revisit this topic during tournment time, and if I am wrong it won't be the first time.

First of all, this is priceless...

he was the builder of the Harlan teams from the 90s

I tend to agree with Bayshore when he says the talent level is a little down from the past. I'd say this is just the normal course of things. Up some years, down others. The good news is that the talent pool has gotten much larger with the consolidation and the kids who really want to learn and play basketball have a golden opportunity with Harlan County's coaching staff. Mediocracy will not be accepted anymore. Also, county wide, the middle school teams look to have plenty of talent. The question is, will these kids be willing to do what's asked of them to reach their full potential?

I also believe there are kids within the 52nd district who can play college basektball. I'm not talking about UK or UNC, but maybe Pikeville or Cumberland College. Basketball scholarships= money for an education. I still think we have that here, even within our county. If any of the boys can get a chance to go to college for free or a partial scholarship and get to play the game they love on the next level, I hope they'll sieze the opportunity.

Chris Wilson from Evarts High played for at least two years at Berea College, Paul (peanut) Herold also played at Union for a year and could have had a good career at that level if he would have stayed. So there have been a few since Casey and Nathan played at the college level. Coaching has never been in question, it is in place.

If this about the Harlan schools only, I don't know if any of the upperclassmen will have the opportunity to play college basketball. Jecorey Fields would probably have the best chance because of his size. Josh Caldwell may have been able to last season, but I don't know if he would be able to now.

I think Blaine Green from M'boro is probably the best player in the 52nd. He will have the opportunity to play after high school.

First of all, this is priceless...

I tend to agree with Bayshore when he says the talent level is a little down from the past. I'd say this is just the normal course of things. Up some years, down others. The good news is that the talent pool has gotten much larger with the consolidation and the kids who really want to learn and play basketball have a golden opportunity with Harlan County's coaching staff. Mediocracy will not be accepted anymore. Also, county wide, the middle school teams look to have plenty of talent. The question is, will these kids be willing to do what's asked of them to reach their full potential?

I also believe there are kids within the 52nd district who can play college basektball. I'm not talking about UK or UNC, but maybe Pikeville or Cumberland College. Basketball scholarships= money for an education. I still think we have that here, even within our county. If any of the boys can get a chance to go to college for free or a partial scholarship and get to play the game they love on the next level, I hope they'll sieze the opportunity.

It makes me feel good to know that I have put a smile on someone's face!':lol: