13th region may be better than the pundits think

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 13th region may be better than many of the pundits think. Corbin is riding a nice win streak and South Laurel & Clay Co. beat Madison Central on consecutive nights. Thoughts?

I think you are right at least as far as the top teams go. The stength of some regions, 7th and 11th for example, is the depth, as in the number the good teams.

Redhound you may have a point about the 13th Region top teams, but as of right now I think there is only one team in the 13th region that can go deep into the Sweet 16, Corbin. But of course they have to get past the mind game of getting past South Laurel in the Region. And of course South has to get to the Region. If South continues to play the way they are now and St. John gets help from on or two guys they could be dangerous. Once you get to the Sweet 16 all teams are good and you have to play consistently good each day. And one team that I think is going to surprise teams is Knox Central. They are sort of just laying low right now. They played a tought schedule over the Christmas holidays, but they could be a team that could surprise a lot of teams. I think this 13th Region tourney will be better than last years.

At this point in the season I don't see any team from the 52dist being able to win a game in the region.

Aren't you depressing.

I don't see it that way.

I think three of the teams in the district have a shot at anyone besides Corbin.

The 49th District runner-up probably won't be a powerhouse, especially if Clay and North are the same bracket.

If Knox Central wins the 51st, then the runner-up (Pineville, Barbourville or Lynn Camp) would be an underdog to Middlesboro and even against Bell County or Harlan County.

Bell has the talent to knock someone off but I've just not seen it from em in the couple times I've saw them play. I don't have a thing against them but something just doesn't seem right. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just taking them longer to get outta football mode. Until they start playing better, that district is Harlan County and Middlesboro's to lose in my opinion.

Bell has the talent to knock someone off but I've just not seen it from em in the couple times I've saw them play. I don't have a thing against them but something just doesn't seem right. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just taking them longer to get outta football mode. Until they start playing better, that district is Harlan County and Middlesboro's to lose in my opinion.

I am sure Bell will get better. They won't lose that district without a fight. Bell has won a district title 11 years in a row I believe (not positive though).

I don't think there's that much difference between Middlesboro, Bell County and Harlan County.

Bell isn't playing as well as I thought, but I believe they are capable of beating anyone in the region, except for Corbin. I think they just lost to Knox Central by one.

Aren't you depressing.

I don't see it that way.

I think three of the teams in the district have a shot at anyone besides Corbin.

The 49th District runner-up probably won't be a powerhouse, especially if Clay and North are the same bracket.

If Knox Central wins the 51st, then the runner-up (Pineville, Barbourville or Lynn Camp) would be an underdog to Middlesboro and even against Bell County or Harlan County.

Depressing was what I saw last week at HHS, the game with HC, that was all of the basketball players in Harlan county on the court at the same time, and it was ugly. There are some really good kids playing for both teams that work hard at the game, but lets face it the talent level in this county has sunk to an all time low. Think back about a dozen years ago, when coach Jones was roaming on the home bench at HHS, his teams were some of the best in this era, but Cawood had some pretty good teams along with Cumberland, and when coach Parsons was at Evarts they could beat most teams on a given night. The only reason it could be is the level of talent that each coach has to work with, you know that coach Jones is as good as they come and Coach Lester came up through coach Jones's program, so he knows what it takes. I normally try to put a positive spin on most things that has to do with high school athletics but as of now I just can't see it.:cry:

I don't think there's that much difference between Middlesboro, Bell County and Harlan County.

Bell isn't playing as well as I thought, but I believe they are capable of beating anyone in the region, except for Corbin. I think they just lost to Knox Central by one.

M'boro has more talent than Bell and Harlan Co. M'boro has 3 very solid players. Bell Co. has better guard play than Harlan Co. but Harlan Co. may have a edge on the boards. This should be a fun district to watch. Harlan City has the edge of playing on home court.

Depressing was what I saw last week at HHS, the game with HC, that was all of the basketball players in Harlan county on the court at the same time, and it was ugly. There are some really good kids playing for both teams that work hard at the game, but lets face it the talent level in this county has sunk to an all time low. Think back about a dozen years ago, when coach Jones was roaming on the home bench at HHS, his teams were some of the best in this era, but Cawood had some pretty good teams along with Cumberland, and when coach Parsons was at Evarts they could beat most teams on a given night. The only reason it could be is the level of talent that each coach has to work with, you know that coach Jones is as good as they come and Coach Lester came up through coach Jones's program, so he knows what it takes. I normally try to put a positive spin on most things that has to do with high school athletics but as of now I just can't see it.:cry:
I can remember in the early to mid 90's the 13th you had Harlan High, Corbin, Clay, Knox, and Cumberland. That was two teams in the top 5 from Harlan Co. Cawood was very solid in those years also with Smallwood, and Hicks.:thumb: