13th region refs

Case BL-11-6- If a coach or player is ejected from a

scrimmage or contest, how long is the suspension?

The suspension is in effect for any further interscholastic competition

on that day. (i.e., the freshman coach ejected during the first

game may not be in the gym for the subsequent varsity game,

baseball/softball coach ejected in first game of multiple game

tournament may not be at field during any subsequent games

that day) and at minimum, for the next additional contest at that

level. The suspension is considered immediate and indefinite at

the level of play at which the ejection occurred.

This means that a coach or player may not participate in another

contest at that level (JV, Freshman, Varsity, etc.) until being

reinstated by a member of the Commission. Following review,

the Commission may extend the suspension.

Following the day of ejection, there shall be a minimum one-game/

meet/contest suspension for any participant or coach ejected

from a contest for unsportsmanlike conduct.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I have never reffed a game, nor do I ever want to. But I have played. As a player, I tuned out everything going on in the gym and focused on playing ball and never ever really heard the fans, the opposing coaches, the Principal, the police officers, anybody that was physically handicapped, and especially anybody that was mentally impaired. If the players can manage to play, the coaches can manage to coach, while in a gym full of yelling fans, then why is it too much to ask an official to do the same. If someone was cussing or making physical threats, then toss'em, but "you're a cheater"? Come on!

This particular incident was not in ear shot of either benches or coaches and was during a time out on the opposite side of the gym. The man who was thrown out is child like. Throw him a wink, turn around, and ref the game. Flexing your proverbial muscle by throwing a mentally impaired gentleman out of a basketball game is low down in my opinion. IF you want to throw somebody out, pick the guy who is cussing and screaming and making the rest of the fans uncomfortable, but "Come on ref, get in the game!":idunno:

You said "get in the game", but you said it was a timeout also. That means that more than likely it was kinda quiet and a lot of people heard him. I disagree that it should have been ignored, the official probably should have made it clear to whoever was taking care of the person that screamed it, that that behavior wouldn't be tolerated, but when you have your integrity challenged in front of a lot of people, as a official, it's gotta be tough to handle. Did you know the official that threw him out? Is he known to be hot-headed?

You said "get in the game", but you said it was a timeout also. That means that more than likely it was kinda quiet and a lot of people heard him. I disagree that it should have been ignored, the official probably should have made it clear to whoever was taking care of the person that screamed it, that that behavior wouldn't be tolerated, but when you have your integrity challenged in front of a lot of people, as a official, it's gotta be tough to handle. Did you know the official that threw him out? Is he known to be hot-headed?

"Come on ref, get in the game" is my comment about the situation. That wasn't what was said at the game. I nor anyone else heard what was said to the ref. He just out of the blue blows his whistle and walks over to get security. He told the officer that he called him a cheater. I very seriosuly doubt this guy could even understand what he said. I hope he feels ashamed about it though and realizes how confused and embarrassed that he needlessly made this man feel.