Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

13th region refs

Featured Replies

You are right, there are several good ones in the 13th region to go along with the bad ones.

 

You know when you think about it your comment could be true for coaches and players as well, good ones and bad ones, fans to.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that good and bad officials exist. Coaches, players, officials, fans all make mistakes. My main problem with some officials is that they don't seem to respect the game when it involves certain "bottom shelf" teams. I don't care whose playing, you should run up and down the floor, be in proper position, be as consistent as possible, and maintain professional behavior.

 

My only comment about those that work summer camps...I have seen in person officials calling games in summer camps and talking on their cell phone during the game while walking up and down the floor. Not really sure how that will help them improve.

 

With all that said...It is a very diffiuclt job and I want no part of it:)

There are good officials in the 13th as well as the bad ones (just like every other region). Nobody ever talks about the good ones.

 

The fans that act like total idiots are one the reasons it is hard to get more qualified officials. Who in their right mind would put up with this kind of abuse?

I agree with you about improvement, but where is this greater pool of talent supposed to come from? I would never attempt to officate any type game, I know a few who do and its a tough job. They always say "try it sometime," I say no way![

 

Unfortunately, I think the only way to secure better talent is to pay them more. That's probably not going to happen, but I think greater accountability must be followed by greater wages in order to be successful.

There has been some movement to make changes in the 13th. but it will not get better untill you get a few more people out of the game. When you have a problem with one ref causing a problem with another ref calling a game because the first ref didn't get the game something is not right.

Basketball officials are just like anyone else, they make mistakes, the good ones, the bad ones and the ones in between, they all make mistakes. Some of the officials make calls from 50 feet away when an official is 8 feet away and more often than not it is a wrong call, that makes both looks bad. I have a friend who says there are no bad calls, just bad angels.

I agree with you about improvement, but where is this greater pool of talent supposed to come from? I would never attempt to officate any type game, I know a few who do and its a tough job. They always say "try it sometime," I say no way![

 

Unfortunately, I think the only way to secure better talent is to pay them more. That's probably not going to happen, but I think greater accountability must be followed by greater wages in order to be successful.

I agree better pay would lead to better talent, but most schools look at the bottom line and think like they pay to much now. Accountability would be fine if carried out fairly, much like any profession.

The 13th is in the same boat as the 15th. They are struggling and no one wants to change with them. Maybe they will change with each other or just stay in this year. I hate seeing the same referees in the region, love to see them switch with someone else. I think the 14th and 12th are exchanging again.

 

I'm glad these two are exchanging again for the tournament. It has worked out good in the past. Both regions have well run associations imo.

Not all Ref's are bad in the 13th. We have some really good ones but on the other hand some that are terribly slanted towards particular teams. Also they are some that are just not good at calling, honest but just are not good at it.

I think the officials are doing a good job overall - it's not only a thankless job, it's an impossible job. We all expect - and the officials do, too - perfection, but it's not going to happen. I serve as a Little League umpire, and I can tell you this - nobody feels as bad as I feel when I think I may have missed a call. It's the most gut-wrenching feeling in the world - these kids are counting on me to do a good job.

 

But with the athletes today, even three officials can't be in the perfect spot every time to make the perfect call. More and more I'm seeing officials missing calls just because they weren't in the right position...but that's because the game is SO MUCH faster than it was 30 years ago.

 

I will say that I saw something this year I've never seen before - an official getting into verbal sparring with a fan - and that should NEVER happen. But all in all, the officiating I've seen this year has been about as good as humanly possible.

 

Of course, we could always save money and let the coaches officiate!!! :lol:

Or maybe give the fans one of those little electronic voting boxes, and they could poll the audience every time there's a close call (well, Mr. Official, you still have two lifelines left - you can call someone at the KHSAA or you can poll the audience!) :lol:

Of course, we could always save money and let the coaches officiate!!! :lol:Or maybe give the fans one of those little electronic voting boxes, and they could poll the audience every time there's a close call (well, Mr. Official, you still have two lifelines left - you can call someone at the KHSAA or you can poll the audience!) :lol:

 

 

I like this, Mike!

I have watched several 13th region games this year and I thought they were all called pretty evenly, with the possible exception of one.

 

There are a couple who I would not trust if I were coaching and would blackball if possible.

I agree that good and bad officials exist. Coaches, players, officials, fans all make mistakes. My main problem with some officials is that they don't seem to respect the game when it involves certain "bottom shelf" teams. I don't care whose playing, you should run up and down the floor, be in proper position, be as consistent as possible, and maintain professional behavior.

 

My only comment about those that work summer camps...I have seen in person officials calling games in summer camps and talking on their cell phone during the game while walking up and down the floor. Not really sure how that will help them improve.

 

With all that said...It is a very diffiuclt job and I want no part of it:)

 

I agree. The ones that want to get better go to camps like the KIAC camp that is held in Lexington during the state AAU tournament in the summer were they are getting trained by top quality officials not just by reffng summer games. I don't think that the 13 has enough trying to get better just a few were there last year. I don't think that anyone else went anywhere. I recall watching the state AAU last summer and I can recall 3 13th region officials there.

The 13th has been known to have problems in the past, but this year seems to take the cake! Refs are more concerned with the fans in the stands than what is going on out on the floor. I feel for the region who gets the 13th in the trade. How can you pick up on " get in the game ref" if you are into the game. I have been to three games in the last 5 days and the ref had words with fans from both schools cheering their team on. It is almost funny but sad in so many ways! Get the chip off your shoulder and get your head in the game and do what you are getting paid for! Fans can have a opinion and they do pay to get in the game as long as they are under control they should be able to cheer.
Funny (yes) sad is correct. Good post Mr. Lungbuster, I have seen the same things this year.:thumb::thumb::ylsuper:
The 13th is in the same boat as the 15th. They are struggling and no one wants to change with them. Maybe they will change with each other or just stay in this year. I hate seeing the same referees in the region, love to see them switch with someone else. I think the 14th and 12th are exchanging again.

 

I feel sorry for anyone that gets the 12th officials. Not all are bad, but the ones that are are beyond horrible and give them all a bad name. I agree with what someone said earlier, refs keep your head in the game and stop paying attention to the ones in the stands, that might help you make the right calls and keep the ones in the stands happier. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.