Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

13th region refs

Featured Replies

The 13th has been known to have problems in the past, but this year seems to take the cake! Refs are more concerned with the fans in the stands than what is going on out on the floor. I feel for the region who gets the 13th in the trade. How can you pick up on " get in the game ref" if you are into the game. I have been to three games in the last 5 days and the ref had words with fans from both schools cheering their team on. It is almost funny but sad in so many ways! Get the chip off your shoulder and get your head in the game and do what you are getting paid for! Fans can have a opinion and they do pay to get in the game as long as they are under control they should be able to cheer.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Knuckleheads" as they were refered to in another thread give all the fans from almost every school a bad name. Most of the fans have not played or they are blinded by their not their support of the team but more often than not the support of their son or daughter. I truely believe that the greater percentage of fans are just that fans who cheer for their teams and yes they do boo and there is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes a few cross the line.

 

The 13th region officials are sincere in what they do but unlike a bad mechanic or doctor you just choose another one, we are stuck with them. I think most people state wide would love to see more oversight where officials are concerned.

 

There is no good answer for fixing the problem, and the new assigning secretary is not it, and replacing him won't help either.

 

It is a problem that everyone is stuck with so you may as well make the best of it.

The 13th has been known to have problems in the past, but this year seems to take the cake! Refs are more concerned with the fans in the stands than what is going on out on the floor. I feel for the region who gets the 13th in the trade. How can you pick up on " get in the game ref" if you are into the game. I have been to three games in the last 5 days and the ref had words with fans from both schools cheering their team on. It is almost funny but sad in so many ways! Get the chip off your shoulder and get your head in the game and do what you are getting paid for! Fans can have a opinion and they do pay to get in the game as long as they are under control they should be able to cheer.

 

That might be true in some cases but not all. There are some 13th region officials who are out working to get better and are going to camps in the summer to improve. Don't let a few bad apples refelect the whole bunch.

There is certainly something people can do about it. They can take the required classes to become an official themselves. I dont' know of any officiating association that is not accepting new officials.

 

I am certainly more put out with "fans" this year than I am officials.

Rule #9

9. No discussion of ANY criminal behavior (charged or uncharged) in the high school forums. Discussion of adult criminal behavior is permitted in all non-high school forums. However, discussion of criminal behavior by juveniles (anyone under 18) is never permitted anywhere on BGP.
The 13th has been known to have problems in the past, but this year seems to take the cake! Refs are more concerned with the fans in the stands than what is going on out on the floor. I feel for the region who gets the 13th in the trade. How can you pick up on " get in the game ref" if you are into the game. I have been to three games in the last 5 days and the ref had words with fans from both schools cheering their team on. It is almost funny but sad in so many ways! Get the chip off your shoulder and get your head in the game and do what you are getting paid for! Fans can have a opinion and they do pay to get in the game as long as they are under control they should be able to cheer.

 

You mean that officials are having a problem with people yelling "Go Rams!" or "De-fense!" or singing their school song. That's cheering. Dogging the officials, the coaches or the opposing team's players is NOT cheering. Let's not confuse the two. "Cheer" has a positive connotation to it. Dogging anyone is NOT cheering.

I am always amazed at how much "fans" complain about officials and calls. I took my son to a game Friday night and we had two major complainers near us. At halftime my son says to me, "Dad, is that guy going to complain about every call all night?" And he was right. The guy complained on every single call...that went against his team of course. I guarantee you there will be some calls you disagree with in every game you watch from high school to the NBA. Get over it and pay attention to the game. I love the earlier post that said if you don't like it become an official. Perfect.

I am always amazed at how much "fans" complain about officials and calls. I took my son to a game Friday night and we had two major complainers near us. At halftime my son says to me, "Dad, is that guy going to complain about every call all night?" And he was right. The guy complained on every single call...that went against his team of course. I guarantee you there will be some calls you disagree with in every game you watch from high school to the NBA. Get over it and pay attention to the game. I love the earlier post that said if you don't like it become an official. Perfect.

 

What these people don't realize (or don't care about) is how they ruin the game for others, a perfect example being your son.

 

On the bolded, thanks. ;)

I agree that there is some improvement needed in the officiating in the 13th region. However, I don't think lackluster performances from the people in stripes is limited to this area. After watching a multitiude of games across the state most of the same complaints hold true from Pikeville to Paducah. Its just like any other profession - the only way to get improvement across the board is to have a greater pool of talent to choose from and higher accountability for those chosen. Unless and until that happens, nothing will change.

Not enough officials period, the more there are the quality will pick up. Face the facts, it is a thankless job that really is not worth what they get from it.

I saw a 13th region ref throw a man out of a game that was clearly mentally disabled, wasn't disruptive to the game, or cussing. I doubt this ref could even understand what this fellow was even saying. He was simply enjoying one of the pleasures in his life, watching a basketball game. I think he called the ref, "a cheater". :scared: The fans and even the officer who was asked to escort him out, were in total shock at this ref. I think everyone thought he was just joking with him to begin with. Forget reffing, how about acting like a human being! It made me sick to my stomach. Poor guy.

I agree that there is some improvement needed in the officiating in the 13th region. However, I don't think lackluster performances from the people in stripes is limited to this area. After watching a multitiude of games across the state most of the same complaints hold true from Pikeville to Paducah. Its just like any other profession - the only way to get improvement across the board is to have a greater pool of talent to choose from and higher accountability for those chosen. Unless and until that happens, nothing will change.

 

I agree with you about improvement, but where is this greater pool of talent supposed to come from? I would never attempt to officate any type game, I know a few who do and its a tough job. They always say "try it sometime," I say no way!

The 13th is in the same boat as the 15th. They are struggling and no one wants to change with them. Maybe they will change with each other or just stay in this year. I hate seeing the same referees in the region, love to see them switch with someone else. I think the 14th and 12th are exchanging again.

That might be true in some cases but not all. There are some 13th region officials who are out working to get better and are going to camps in the summer to improve. Don't let a few bad apples refelect the whole bunch.

 

You are right, there are several good ones in the 13th region to go along with the bad ones.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.