1/08/09 8th Region Rankings

1. Anderson County (8-3) Recent rankings have them at 17th in state

2. Grant County (11-4)/North Oldham (7-4) Both teams have good size and good guard play.

3. Shelby County (6-6) Recent loss to Boyle County??

4. Gallatin County (7-4) Maddox and Jones leads the way

5. Oldham County (8-4) Well coached team led by Eric Dunlap

6. Simon Kenton (4-5) Not as strong as in the past

7. Henry County (12-3) 12 wins but hasn't beat anybody

8. Owen County (5-7) Seems inconsistent at times

9. South Oldham (5-8)

10. Williamstown (5-5)/Carroll County (6-7)

11. Walton-Verona (6-8) Young and inexperienced but could surprise people

12. Trimble County (5-7)

13. Spencer County (4-10)

14. Eminence (2-10)

Anderson, Grant, Shelby, and North Oldham could be drawn out of a hat. The rest is up for grabs IMO. Others' thoughts?

1. Anderson County (8-3) Recent rankings have them at 17th in state

2. Grant County (11-4)/North Oldham (7-4) Both teams have good size and good guard play.

3. Shelby County (6-6) Recent loss to Boyle County??

4. Gallatin County (7-4) Maddox and Jones leads the way

5. Oldham County (8-4) Well coached team led by Eric Dunlap

6. Simon Kenton (4-5) Not as strong as in the past

7. Henry County (12-3) 12 wins but hasn't beat anybody

8. Owen County (5-7) Seems inconsistent at times

9. South Oldham (5-8)

10. Williamstown (5-5)/Carroll County (6-7)

11. Walton-Verona (6-8) Young and inexperienced but could surprise people

12. Trimble County (5-7)

13. Spencer County (4-10)

14. Eminence (2-10)

Anderson, Grant, Shelby, and North Oldham could be drawn out of a hat. The rest is up for grabs IMO. Others' thoughts?

I think you've got a good start, but I disagree primarily on one thing...

Grant is going to have to prove more on the court before I can put them in the same category as Anderson / North / Shelby. Don't get me wrong; I've seen the Braves and was VERY impressed. I saw them and North Oldham on the same day at the Ronald McDonald House Classic, and North - in a losing effort to Henderson County that day, and with their leading scorer on the sideline with a minor injury - was 12-15 points better than Grant was in a winning effort over South Oldham.

I'd rank the region this way:

1) Anderson - undisputed until someone in the 8th can knock them off...lots of talent, and they've shown they can run with the big dogs in games vs. Jeffersontown and Scott Co.

2) North Oldham - scary deep, great press, and very versatile. Can put three bigs on the inside or go small and fast. Probable two all-region performers in Foley and St. Julien, who may be the second-best player in the region.

3) Shelby - don't be deceived by the Rockets' record. They've played a brutal schedule, and if their youth develops in time, their talent will be awfully tough to stop in the region. Up to Mike Clark to develop them in time...

4) Grant County - Braves aren't quite in the top 3 tier - yet. Good blend of bigs and smalls. Kinmon off the bench is a knockout performer. Braves will be a force to contend with.

5) Owen County - extremely uneven to start the year, but they seem to have righted the ship to begin 2009. Tremendous inside-outside talent on this team. Owen County has the potential to be a dark horse threat to the favorites. My favorites to win the All-A if they can find their consistency.

6) Gallatin County - look for a tough January for this team with Maddox out, but the Wildcats have more than Trent. Now's the time for Carlton and Jones to show they can shoulder the leadership burden.

7) Oldham County - Gary Forrest is doing a remarkable job with this group, which sits at 8-4. Eric Dunlap is one of the top players in the region, and capable of putting up monstrous games as he did versus South Oldham last Saturday. Many of the main contributors, however, have minimal experience, so it will be interesting to see how the Colonels develop. Lack of any height means the Colonels have matchup issues with the likes of North, Anderson, and Owen... Colonels have a chance to turn heads Friday night against Anderson.

8) South Oldham - This team can score points in bunches, and I've seen few teams this prolific beyond the arc as a total squad. Two players who have shot the most threes are both shooting over 50% beyond the arc. Lack of an inside game hurts South, but they only lost to Grant by 8 and Oldham by 6...

9) Simon Kenton - Middle-of-the-road team this year in the 8th. As a generally young team, though, SK could be a different team by tournament time.

10) Henry County - Still looking for a signature win to prove they have arrived and that the 12 wins are "for real." Still - a good start to the season for the Wildcats as they lead the region in wins. We'll know a lot more tomorrow night after a game vs. Owen, and a two-game stretch in Feb. when they play Anderson County (2/9) and Grant County (2/13).

11-14) Walton-Verona, Carroll County, Trimble County, Williamstown - These four are awfully hard to separate right now. Trimble looked great in an upset win over Oldham County, Williamstown drilled Carroll by 16 - but has lost all four region 8 games since. Walton Verona split with TC and beat Williamstown... Carroll lost to Trimble, Henry, and Williamstown - but split with Owen and beat Gallatin. Carroll and Trimble have lots of experience, W-V is extremely young (no seniors, no returning starters), and Williamstown has already eclipsed last year's victory total...

Even though I've ranked Trimble County this low, I was VERY impressed with the Raiders when I saw them beat Oldham. Bob Lauster should have been the 8th Region Coach of the Year last year...he may win it this year. He's doing a good job with a well-disciplined group of kids who have a little size, a lot of quickness, experience, and a lot of desire.

15) Spencer County - Spencer is painfully young, and the result has been a porous defense and rare wins. 2008-9 probably isn't going to be "the year" for the Bears, but Jacob Barmore is a good coach and sophomore Logan Dunbar is quite the talent... Two of four wins are against Eminence.

16) Eminence - Chris Nethery needs time to put his mark on this once-storied program. The improvement is already noticeable...after losing five straight in which they averaged less than 40 ppg, the Warriors have been more competitive in their last 3 games: they defeated Covington Latin, lost to Spencer County by just 2 points, and lost their last game by a respectable 12 point margin in a game they scored a season-high 59 points.

I think you've got a good start, but I disagree primarily on one thing...

Grant is going to have to prove more on the court before I can put them in the same category as Anderson / North / Shelby. Don't get me wrong; I've seen the Braves and was VERY impressed. I saw them and North Oldham on the same day at the Ronald McDonald House Classic, and North - in a losing effort to Henderson County that day, and with their leading scorer on the sideline with a minor injury - was 12-15 points better than Grant was in a winning effort over South Oldham.

I'd rank the region this way:

1) Anderson - undisputed until someone in the 8th can knock them off...lots of talent, and they've shown they can run with the big dogs in games vs. Jeffersontown and Scott Co.

2) North Oldham - scary deep, great press, and very versatile. Can put three bigs on the inside or go small and fast. Probable two all-region performers in Foley and St. Julien, who may be the second-best player in the region.

3) Shelby - don't be deceived by the Rockets' record. They've played a brutal schedule, and if their youth develops in time, their talent will be awfully tough to stop in the region. Up to Mike Clark to develop them in time...

4) Grant County - Braves aren't quite in the top 3 tier - yet. Good blend of bigs and smalls. Kinmon off the bench is a knockout performer. Braves will be a force to contend with.

5) Owen County - extremely uneven to start the year, but they seem to have righted the ship to begin 2009. Tremendous inside-outside talent on this team. Owen County has the potential to be a dark horse threat to the favorites. My favorites to win the All-A if they can find their consistency.

6) Gallatin County - look for a tough January for this team with Maddox out, but the Wildcats have more than Trent. Now's the time for Carlton and Jones to show they can shoulder the leadership burden.

7) Oldham County - Gary Forrest is doing a remarkable job with this group, which sits at 8-4. Eric Dunlap is one of the top players in the region, and capable of putting up monstrous games as he did versus South Oldham last Saturday. Many of the main contributors, however, have minimal experience, so it will be interesting to see how the Colonels develop. Lack of any height means the Colonels have matchup issues with the likes of North, Anderson, and Owen... Colonels have a chance to turn heads Friday night against Anderson.

8) South Oldham - This team can score points in bunches, and I've seen few teams this prolific beyond the arc as a total squad. Two players who have shot the most threes are both shooting over 50% beyond the arc. Lack of an inside game hurts South, but they only lost to Grant by 8 and Oldham by 6...

9) Simon Kenton - Middle-of-the-road team this year in the 8th. As a generally young team, though, SK could be a different team by tournament time.

10) Henry County - Still looking for a signature win to prove they have arrived and that the 12 wins are "for real." Still - a good start to the season for the Wildcats as they lead the region in wins. We'll know a lot more tomorrow night after a game vs. Owen, and a two-game stretch in Feb. when they play Anderson County (2/9) and Grant County (2/13).

11-14) Walton-Verona, Carroll County, Trimble County, Williamstown - These four are awfully hard to separate right now. Trimble looked great in an upset win over Oldham County, Williamstown drilled Carroll by 16 - but has lost all four region 8 games since. Walton Verona split with TC and beat Williamstown... Carroll lost to Trimble, Henry, and Williamstown - but split with Owen and beat Gallatin. Carroll and Trimble have lots of experience, W-V is extremely young (no seniors, no returning starters), and Williamstown has already eclipsed last year's victory total...

Even though I've ranked Trimble County this low, I was VERY impressed with the Raiders when I saw them beat Oldham. Bob Lauster should have been the 8th Region Coach of the Year last year...he may win it this year. He's doing a good job with a well-disciplined group of kids who have a little size, a lot of quickness, experience, and a lot of desire.

15) Spencer County - Spencer is painfully young, and the result has been a porous defense and rare wins. 2008-9 probably isn't going to be "the year" for the Bears, but Jacob Barmore is a good coach and sophomore Logan Dunbar is quite the talent... Two of four wins are against Eminence.

16) Eminence - Chris Nethery needs time to put his mark on this once-storied program. The improvement is already noticeable...after losing five straight in which they averaged less than 40 ppg, the Warriors have been more competitive in their last 3 games: they defeated Covington Latin, lost to Spencer County by just 2 points, and lost their last game by a respectable 12 point margin in a game they scored a season-high 59 points.

Pretty good break down. I think that Grant has the ability to play with your top 3. Grant will play Anderson and a make up against Shelby in January and that will give them a true measuring point to how this team ranks with the upper part of the 8th region. Colonel Mike sure knows his basketball though.

Pretty good break down. I think that Grant has the ability to play with your top 3. Grant will play Anderson and a make up against Shelby in January and that will give them a true measuring point to how this team ranks with the upper part of the 8th region. Colonel Mike sure knows his basketball though.

Thank you for the kind words. I was real impressed by what I saw from Grant in December...and yes, I agree with you that they have the potential to compete for the whole enchilada. They certainly won't be an easy out, that's for sure. They'll have their chances to stake their claim when they play Anderson and Shelby...right now, though, I've ranked them a little behind Anderson, Shelby, and North based strictly on the talent I've seen...certainly no disrespect to the Braves!

I agree with Braves1 on the breakdown from Colonel Mike. NICE JOB! It will be interesting where everyone sits when January is over.

That's when we'll all probably be laughing at my January assessment! :D

High school kids can make fools of us... (both in good and bad ways!)