AFC Divisional: Baltimore @ Tennessee

5wide

Pick the winner  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the winner

• Baltimore Ravens (12-5)
    • Tennessee Titans (13-3)

Tennessee by 3.

I think that with Albert and VDB back the Ravens will struggle to run the football and the Titans won't have to play 8 in the box, and a rookie QB will make a mistake or 2. As long as Collins doesn't toss one to Ed Reed, they'll be fine. Any drive that ends in a kick for Tenn. will be good and the recipe for a trip to the conference title game.

As a Titans fan, this is a scary game. Of the 3 possible opponents (San Diego, Indy, Baltimore), the Ravens were by far the team I least wanted to play in the playoff opener.

Clinching the top seed early and basically getting two weeks off to rest is great, and the Titans had to have it in order to get some key players ready to go for the playoffs. However, it is cause for some concern, especially with the offense. Often, teams that clinch early and shut it down come out rusty in their first playoff game and the Ravens defense is not one that you can afford to be rusty against. My fear is that the Titans offense will make some costly mistakes that turn into Raven points before they can shake the rust off. (Visions of an Eddie George fumble being returned for six...)

Just a few random thoughts...

-How healthy will Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch be?

-Kevin Mawae was listed as "out" a couple of days ago. Huge loss if he can't go. You don't want to face Baltimore's defense with a new starting center. This bears watching, because it could have a huge impact on the game. My guess is that Leroy Harris will step in for Mawae, or Amano will slide over from LG and Harris will fill Amano's slot. Either way, problems at this position could be the difference between winning and losing...bad snaps, missed pickups, etc. against Baltimore can easily be 6 points the other way.

My keys to the game...

1. No turnovers. If Tennessee takes care of the ball and doesn't give Baltimore any freebies, I don't think the Ravens can beat them.

2. Field position/Special Teams. With two great defenses and grinding offenses, field position will be paramount. Every point will be huge and shortening the field for your offense is the best way to get on the scoreboard. Conversely, pinning the opponent deep and forcing them to drive a long field with an average offense vs. a top tier defense bodes well for keeping them off the board, and possibly allowing your defense to make some plays that result in points, whether directly or indirectly.

3. Play physical. Both these teams are very physical. The Titans need to be the aggressor and take it to the Ravens. They can't allow that Ravens defense to "out-physical" them.

It's a scary game, but I can't pick against the Titans. I think they're a better team than Baltimore and they should win in Nashville.

Tennessee 24, Baltimore 10

Tennessee by 3.

I think that with Albert and VDB back the Ravens will struggle to run the football and the Titans won't have to play 8 in the box, and a rookie QB will make a mistake or 2. As long as Collins doesn't toss one to Ed Reed, they'll be fine. Any drive that ends in a kick for Tenn. will be good and the recipe for a trip to the conference title game.

I do agree with one addition..."any drive that ends in a kick that gets away cleanly for Tennessee"...

I have complete confidence in the Titans ability to keep Baltimore's offense off the board if the offense and special teams do not give the Ravens a favorable starting position.

I've said it since Week 8, Tennessee will lose their first round game of the playoffs. They had a great season, but I'm just not sold on them, especially with Kerry Collins under center.

These two teams played back in Week 5, and the Titans won 13-10. Tennessee scored 10 in the final quarter, including a TD under 2 minutes to win the game.

I believe the Ravens will win the one that matters most and advance to the AFC Championship.

May I just say that I love that everybody is picking the Ravens...

A lot of the expert analysts are going with Baltimore. It never hurts when you're the top seed, playing at home, and you get the added benefit of that underdog mentality going.

Just a few more thoughts...

Is playing @ Miami comparable to playing @ Tennessee? Can the Ravens take the ball away from the Titans 5 times? Can the Ravens run the ball effectively if the Titans defense is truly 100%?

Joe Flacco was 9/23 against Miami. I don't think it's a stretch to declare the Titans a better defense. Will Flacco play better? Or can Baltimore win with a 130 yards passing on 9/23?

This one looks like a matchup of two great defenses. I think the winner will be decided by the offense that makes the least mistakes, because giving away points in this one could be a death knell.

If Tennessee loses, I feel like the absence of Kevin Mawae will play a huge factor.

Edited by 5wide

I feel the Titans will be able to move the ball just enough to get a 3 point win

If the seeds hold, the Titans will have to play Baltimore and Pittsburgh to go to the Super Bowl.

I was just thinking...considering how good that trio of defenses is, if the Titans were to beat them both, they could possibly head into the Super Bowl with the lowest playoff point total in history. Both games could end up being 3-0 and wouldn't surprise me...imagine a team making it to the Super Bowl with two FG's in the playoffs...:lol:

Some defensive stats...

Baltimore (NFL Rank)

261.1 Total YPG (2)

81.4 Rush YPG (3)

179.7 Pass YPG (2)

15.3 PPG (3)

33.5% Third Down Conversion (3)

34 Sacks (11)

13 Forced Fumbles (20)

26 Interceptions (1)

34 Takeaways (1)

+13 TO Differential (3)

Tennessee (NFL Rank)

293.6 Total YPG (7)

93.9 Rush YPG (6)

199.8 Pass YPG (9)

14.6 PPG (2)

35.0% Third Down Conversion (6)

44 Sacks (5)

23 Forced Fumbles (2)

20 Interceptions (6)

31 Takeaways (2)

+14 TO Differential (2)

If I was Tennessee, I would hate to see Baltimore coming after my bye week. I am sure the Titans would have rather seen any of the other first round teams.

I was up in the air on these 2, but decieded to go with Titans because of home field.

If I was Tennessee, I would hate to see Baltimore coming after my bye week. I am sure the Titans would have rather seen any of the other first round teams.

I was up in the air on these 2, but decieded to go with Titans because of home field.

As a Titans fan, here's how I would rank the teams in the order I'd have preferred to play them (Miami was my #1 choice, but since they got the #3 seed, that was impossible)...

1. San Diego

2. Indianapolis

3. Baltimore

:lol:

But, hey, you gotta bring it in the playoffs. And, if you're gonna win and shake the rust off, there's no team like Baltimore to do that against. Plus, a game against Baltimore should prepare you for a matchup vs. Pittsburgh about as well as anybody can.

I'd handicap this game 60/40 in favor of Tennessee. I think they're a better overall team and they're playing at home. But, with that defense, Baltimore is always dangerous because they can shut you down and score points without their offense. I'm confident the Titans will win if they don't cough it up and let the Ravens defense put points on the board. If they can take care of the ball and force Baltimore to drive the field to score, I feel really good about that matchup for Tennessee.

The thing is, everyone is talking up the Ravens defense and how dangerous they are. I'm not sure why the opposite matchup isn't worthy of note. I can just say that as a fan, I feel extremely confident in the matchup of Tennessee's D vs. Baltimore's O. If the Titans offense manages the game, I think the Titans defense can make something happen against a rookie QB and a conservative, big play challenged Ravens offense. If Tennessee could strike early, make something happen and get a 10-14 point lead, I don't think the Ravens can come from behind and beat them...the Titans already proved that they could rally in the 4th quarter and win in Baltimore. That said, these teams are very similar...nobody should be surprised by the winner of this game.