Your Bow

StepYoGameUp

I would say the #1 mistake people make when buying a bow is they get one that the draw length is wrong for them, usually too long. People need to understand that when you are 5'9" your DL isn't going to be 30".

Absolutely correct, With the wrong draw length (usually too long) a shooter is what they call "shooting out of the valley" and not getting an absolute consisitent anchor point.

Also, imo alot of people try and pull more weight than they can handle. I believe that some do not take into consideration that they are not going to be wearing the t-shirt and shorts that they shoot in during the summer in the hunting season. During the hunting season...long sleeves, further into the season heavier clothing/insulated coveralls all will effect what you think that you can pull (heavy clothes may also effect draw lenghth). Pulling a heavy poundage bow is harder to do in cold weather and with stiff mucsles sitting in a stand waiting for one shot rather than on a range in the summer shooting multiple times.

I personally shot best at 52lbs., imo a person does not need to pull incredible weight of pull to kill an animal. Have your arrow fit to the bow, draw length and poundage and tuned pefectly to your set up is what is crucial. As I used to tell some that might make fun of me shooting light poundage....."I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss any day";). Now, if on can handle the heavy bows then by all means shoot it, just imo it is not needed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you "guess" that it is legal? If you are a hunter, it is your responsiblity to make sure that all equipment is legal to use and all game laws upheld.

A trip to your local pro shop may save you some court cost in the future.:eek:

As others have stated, it is not about buying or shooting a "brand name". What is most important is that it's legal equipment and that you are proficient with it.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Absolutely correct, With the wrong draw length (usually too long) a shooter is what they call "shooting out of the valley" and not getting an absolute consisitent anchor point.

Also, imo alot of people try and pull more weight than they can handle. I believe that some do not take into consideration that they are not going to be wearing the t-shirt and shorts that they shoot in during the summer in the hunting season. During the hunting season...long sleeves, further into the season heavier clothing/insulated coveralls all will effect what you think that you can pull (heavy clothes may also effect draw lenghth). Pulling a heavy poundage bow is harder to do in cold weather and with stiff mucsles sitting in a stand waiting for one shot rather than on a range in the summer shooting multiple times.

I personally shot best at 52lbs., imo a person does not need to pull incredible weight of pull to kill an animal. Have your arrow fit to the bow, draw length and poundage and tuned pefectly to your set up is what is crucial. As I used to tell some that might make fun of me shooting light poundage....."I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss any day";). Now, if on can handle the heavy bows then by all means shoot it, just imo it is not needed.

With today's bows the 70 and 80 lb bows just aren't needed for whitetail and smaller game. You really shouldn't have any problems taking elk with 60lb bow. People been doing it with recurves for years and I would guarantee you most recurves are pulling 60 much less 70 and 80.

My bow is a 60lb. The XI I had was a 70lb bow. When I bought it I was early 20's and thought I needed the heavy poundage and could handle it. LIke you said though, trying to draw a bow from a deer stand in 30° temps while wearing layers isn't the same. I can draw my Tribute from any position, left or right handed, and hold it for as long as I pretty much want.

Why would you "guess" that it is legal? If you are a hunter, it is your responsiblity to make sure that all equipment is legal to use and all game laws upheld.

A trip to your local pro shop may save you some court cost in the future.:eek:

As others have stated, it is not about buying or shooting a "brand name". What is most important is that it's legal equipment and that you are proficient with it.

What all could be "illegal" on this bow?

:thumb:

FYI, it really doent matter where or what I hunt with. I can assure you that my equipment is not only state of the art but if its not legal it should be legal. I have never had one single deer move more than 5yds after a shot. Now thats what hunting is all about. Iam sick and tired of these guys shooting these deer and not making a humane kill and the deer look like porcupines running around with a bunch of non lethal arrows sticking in them. I welcome anyone to pm me and I can turn you on to the 21st Century best bow. For the record 34 shots = 34 deer to date.

FYI, your idea of what hunting is as you say, "all about" appears to be very much different from mine.To me it is not about always bringing home the quarry I am hunting. Some of the most memorable hunts I have had are the ones where I never took a shot or saw any wild game. There is no better therapy for me like being out in God's great outdoors. Putting a tag on an animal is just icing on the cake.

As for your comment about the deer running around looking like porcupines with arrows sticking in them, if that has been something you have witnessed then maybe it should start to matter to you where you hunt at. I have deer hunted since the early 70's and have never witnessed anything close to what you have described. I can also assure you that if that scenario takes place, it is not because of the type of equipment but poor judgement on the part of the so called hunter, lack of experience, or both.

Congratulations to you on your perfect score. I hope the streak continues.

FYI, your idea of what hunting is as you say, "all about" appears to be very much different from mine.To me it is not about always bringing home the quarry I am hunting. Some of the most memorable hunts I have had are the ones where I never took a shot or saw any wild game. There is no better therapy for me like being out in God's great outdoors. Putting a tag on an animal is just icing on the cake.

As for your comment about the deer running around looking like porcupines with arrows sticking in them, if that has been something you have witnessed then maybe it should start to matter to you where you hunt at. I have deer hunted since the early 70's and have never witnessed anything close to what you have described. I can also assure you that if that scenario takes place, it is not because of the type of equipment but poor judgement on the part of the so called hunter, lack of experience, or both.

Well said:thumb:

With today's bows the 70 and 80 lb bows just aren't needed for whitetail and smaller game. You really shouldn't have any problems taking elk with 60lb bow. People been doing it with recurves for years and I would guarantee you most recurves are pulling 60 much less 70 and 80.

My bow is a 60lb. The XI I had was a 70lb bow. When I bought it I was early 20's and thought I needed the heavy poundage and could handle it. LIke you said though, trying to draw a bow from a deer stand in 30° temps while wearing layers isn't the same. I can draw my Tribute from any position, left or right handed, and hold it for as long as I pretty much want.

:thumb:Again, good post and I agree with everything that you have said.

Well said:thumb:

:confused:

I am somewhat appalled by your idea of hunting. I agree with others that it is more about the sport and being in Gods country then going out there and trying to kill everything you come across in the field with that super 21st century weapon that you speak of. I have heard of this type of hunting that if its brown its down. Iam personally not a fan of it and believe you should only take from nature what is necessary and not make a mockery of the sport.

:thumb:...:thumb:......:thumb: and....:thumb:

I shoot a Jennings Buckmaster and a Jennings Speedmaster

:thumb: Both excellent choices. I found a great deal on a Buckmaster today from a buddy of mine and couldn't pass it up. I'm setting it up for the Mrs. to hunt with.

I shoot a PSE Renegade, which is an old bow. But I am setup well on it and am dead on out to 40 yards. The first bow I owned was a Bear Whitetail at 55lbs. Next came the Whitetail II. I was just a pup back then....

PSE makes a great bow. The fact that you are comfortable and confident with it makes it even better.

Good huntin' and I hope you take a Booner with it!:thumb: