November 15, 200817 yr So funny. Why so funny? And why are the sleepy faces? I mean I believe you was one of the people who talked about Tubby making UK mediocre, and was just all over him. So I mean if that was embarrassing and if you was going to get on a coach about that. Then you definitely should when a coach for a THIRD time has lost to a BAD team. I mean these three loses have been the most embarrassing loses I have ever seen UK have. My point is don't jump all over another coach, but let a coach this coach slide for another embarrassing lost. Yeah its not the end of the world, and this team will be fine IMO. However its a two way street, if you are going to get on one coach, and then you should this coach to when he messes up. In the three embarrassing loses under him, it really probably comes down to his coaching. His stubbornness not to play zone, has cost this team games, and did tonight. If played zone even just a little bit tonight, then UK wins. Instead we played their style all night long, and their coach made an adjustment to win the game for them, by guess what switching to zone. So I just saying be fair, you act like this is no big deal. Yet you and others acted like it was a huge deal when we would win ugly games against actual decent teams before with that one coach. And trust me I would have been on Tubby if he had lost to teams like this. With that said, I still think it will be a great season for the Cats.
November 15, 200817 yr The sun will shine tommorow.....and then go down again quickly Tuesday night as we'll probably suffer a more devastating debacle than last year's Vandy game. You realize UNC will be without Psycho T, Ginyard and Frasor... Up until tonight, I thought UK might keep it close. After tonight, I don't know. Zero defense played both ways.
November 15, 200817 yr Why so funny? And why are the sleepy faces? I mean I believe you was one of the people who talked about Tubby making UK mediocre, and was just all over him. So I mean if that was embarrassing and if you was going to get on a coach about that. Then you definitely should when a coach for a THIRD time has lost to a BAD team. I mean these three loses have been the most embarrassing loses I have ever seen UK have. My point is don't jump all over another coach, but let a coach this coach slide for another embarrassing lost. Yeah its not the end of the world, and this team will be fine IMO. However its a two way street, if you are going to get on one coach, and then you should this coach to when he messes up. In the three embarrassing loses under him, it really probably comes down to his coaching. His stubbornness not to play zone, has cost this team games, and did tonight. If played zone even just a little bit tonight, then UK wins. Instead we played their style all night long, and their coach made an adjustment to win the game for them, by guess what switching to zone. So I just saying be fair, you act like this is no big deal. Yet you and others acted like it was a huge deal when we would win ugly games against actual decent teams before with that one coach. And trust me I would have been on Tubby if he had lost to teams like this. With that said, I still think it will be a great season for the Cats. I would hate to hear what people would've said if Tubby had loss to Gardner Webb and VMI.
November 15, 200817 yr I would hate to hear what people would've said if Tubby had loss to Gardner Webb and VMI. They can say what they want about him, but I don't ever remember him losing games like GW, San Diego, and VMI...
November 15, 200817 yr I would hate to hear what people would've said if Tubby had loss to Gardner Webb and VMI. They would have been all over him. They were all over him, just for winning ugly games. But I not really trying to get into that whole Tubby thing. I just saying some of these people who did get on Tubby for every little thing, seem to be giving Billy G a free pass for games like this. Its like well since they got Tubby gone like they wanted, they dont want to criticize another coach. Because that would mean that maybe Tubby wasn't as bad as they said. Fact is Billy G has given us the three most embarrassing losses, that we really have ever seen and didn't see during Tubby. So atleast admit and get on him for some of his coaching, cause his coaching has cost them these games. I mean I love Billy G and glad he is here and think he will do great things for this program. However atleast people need to be fair about this, and not just give him a free pass on it for games like this. Cause this is just embarrassing.
November 15, 200817 yr Now I know this is going to sound crazy but I can honestly see this UK team going into Chapel Hill and jumped out of the gate like thoroughbreds and beat the Tar Heels, then I can also see them go in there and have a replay of the vandy game. It seems like the past two years you don't know who is going to show up. When we had Tubby you always knew what you were going to get and that's 110% effort and hard nosed defense. I was always proud of his teams and proud to call myself a fan. These current players and Gillispie need to realize what Kentucky is all about. Because what they have been doing the past two years isn't it. I hope he turns it around.
November 15, 200817 yr They can say what they want about him, but I don't ever remember him losing games like GW, San Diego, and VMI... He did lose to Dayton, Penn State, UAB and Western Kentucky. However, UK has no business losing to VMI at home.
November 15, 200817 yr This loss is absolutely inexcusable. I was only able to watch the first half so unless things drastically changed in the second half, here's what I saw. This game was lost the minute UK tried to run with VMI. UK doesn't have the athletes to run with any team in the nation. We don't have a clear PG and don't need to be taking off with the ball after every rebound. That's a game this UK team isn't equipped to play. Patrick Patterson had 4 shot attempts...That tells me enough. We knew coming into the game what to expect. VMI scores a ton. Observations from last season would tell any sane person that UK didn't score much. To me, that means as boring as it may be to watch, slow the ball down and run plays. We didn't do that tonight. I put that blame squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. We ran into a team with a hot hand tonight. They hit 14 threes against us and shot nearly 50% from the floor for the game. That happens and the good teams find a way to win the game against a lesser team who is having a good night. UK didn't do that tonight, they aren't a good team at this point. They are mediocre at best. I hope to see improvement. Now for the positives. Jodie looked great, no way he should be taking nearly 30 shots though. Miller had a nice night and Liggins showed signs of life. The sun will come up tomorrow. I think.
November 15, 200817 yr UK looked like a team, which had been conditioning but not prepared to play basketball, against a team which was. Young team and they will get better. Sun will rise on Saturday and time to get better. Bingo, we have a winner. A good friend of mine has had the privvy of being at a couple of practices, and you nailed it. It is not so much the physical conditioning, but the mental conditioning. It is BCG's philosophy...a method to his madness, at this stage of the season. This guy told me he has never seen a coach who tries to break you down mentally and build you up. His practices are harder than any he has seen, that is why they carry close to 20 players and he has seen Huggins at UC, Pitino at UK and UL...on and on. At this point, there is not a great deal of teaching going on, it is all about getting the mind toughened. Is this the right way or wrong way? Time will tell, but I give him credit, he got Bradley and Crawford to buy in something they hadnt done the previous three years. Tonight was still inexcusable. This team is going to struggle until someone can take over the lead guard role. Liggins is hopefully going to mature into that role, but it is going to take some time. From afar they didn't seem prepared, they struggled at times with their pressbreak, and were hesitant. They had an ungodly amount of turnovers and the majority were just careless ones, especially late. People wonder about Patterson and his touches, but all they had to do was break the press and they would score, even in the halfcourt they just needed to reverse the ball and dribble drive. Scoring was not a problem. Handling the ball and playing defense was. Defensively, they were bad...no ball pressure most of the night, were exploited in their mismatches, poor rotations, unforgiveable lack of communication late...complete utter breakdown. Meeks was very good tonight, but he missed a layup that would have put UK up two late and VMI converted that into a 3-pointer. He also mishandled a pass versus the press which VMI converted for a two possession lead. Honestly, I think Darius Miller is the best all around player they have. BCG messed up by not having him out there the last few minutes. I would have subbed him for PS. PS stat line looks good but I bet on defense he allowed 20 plus points. Inexcusable loss, but UK has provided early season talk fodder for upset of the year. I still think this team will go farther than last year's bunch, but it is not the picture some have painted for this group...yet. Galloway has not a clue what he is to do, hence he doesnt play. Keep the faith Cat fans we will get better.
November 15, 200817 yr This team is going to struggle with no true PG... Porter should be at Transy or Georgetown no disrespect meant to either school, but he is just not good enough to play at this level. If VMI's very average defense forces 26 turnovers, road play in the SEC is not going to be pretty... Only good note for me was after 20+ years we finally got our season tickets upgraded this year. Still upstairs, but now between the foul line and mid court on the side instead of the end zone.
November 15, 200817 yr I lay this one at the feet of BCG. No excuses. Me too. How do you let 1 guard dominate the game (Meeks) and then put nobody in to back him up. At least put a 5 guard lineup against those guys. BCG messed this one up IMO, tonight. But I think he has the right formula to make a deep run later on...
November 15, 200817 yr No excuse for the loss, but this team won't be complete until they get a leader at the point, and at this time it isn't there. Porter isn't the answer, I hear he is the "most improved", but doing it in practice and doing it when it counts is a whole different thing. I believe JP and Stockton were also "practice" studs, but they also stunk. I don't know how many turnovers Porter had, but I do know he had 3 in the first three minutes, and that is not what a team needs at the point.
November 15, 200817 yr The defense was pourous, not what I would have expected but I'm sure they will be very aware this morning, back to boot camp boys.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.