Obama referred to himself as a mutt

I have dealt with too many racists people in my own family to agree with you.

I know how they will take the comment and it is wrong. They are stupid, stupid people and I don't like comments like this.

Well, he has a website. Go ahead an send him a comment.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama made the remark as he revealed his thinking in what is becoming one of the highest-profile issues of this transition period: What kind of puppy will he and his wife, Michelle, get for their daughters as they move into the White House.

Because Malia, 10, has allergies, the family wants a low-allergy dog. But Obama said they also want to adopt a puppy from an animal shelter, which could make it harder to find a breed that wouldn't aggravate his daughter's problem.

"Obviously, a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me," Obama said with a smile. "So whether we're going to be able to balance those two things, I think, is a pressing issue on the Obama household."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27606637

:lol: That's what this is about?

Then nit-pick away.

You come to my classroom and deal with the students who refer to Obama in very racial terms and tell me I am nitpicking.

He was wrong to use the term and set a precedent for stupid people to pick up on. That is the bottom line.

You can defend him all you want but very poor judgement to use such terms.

You come to my classroom and deal with the students who refer to Obama in very racial terms and tell me I am nitpicking.

He was wrong to use the term and set a precedent for stupid people to pick up on. That is the bottom line.

He displayed a sense of humor and a willingness to make fun of himself. I think more people should have senses of humor and such willingness to take themselves less seriously. It's a mark of confidence in oneself, IMO.

I have dealt with too many racists people in my own family to agree with you.

I know how they will take the comment and it is wrong. They are stupid, stupid people and I don't like comments like this.

I have racist people in my family, too. The fault is not in what Obama said, but in their character. I understand that you will cring when confronted with one of your family bringing it up, but again, that's there character flaw, not Obama's.

The message seemed clear — here is a president who will be quite at ease discussing race, a complex issue as unresolved as it is uncomfortable for many to talk about openly. And at a time when whites in the country are not many years from becoming the minority.

If we want race to ever end in this Country, someone like the President of the United States Of America may be able to help. How bout we give him a chance.

And I had students the day of the election that still believed he was a muslim and an arab. We are educators and we have to correct misconceptions and especially inappropriate language. "Mutt" is not inappropriate.

^

Bitterness hangover?

Just out of curiousity, does any sort of questioning or criticism of the new president-elect mean "bitterness hangover" in your eyes? Were he a handful of other posters you might have a valid point, however I don't find that it really applies to LBBC.

I am by all means willing to give him a chance even though I admit I did not vote for him, that said I don't think he should be above any criticism.