Harlan County 38 Somerset 32

Mama Bear

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great win Black Bears. Sounds like an offesive slug out. They really worry me at times with the amount of points that they give up each game. It seems like they are having to put alot of points on the board just to win the game.

Great win Black Bears. Sounds like an offesive slug out. They really worry me at times with the amount of points that they give up each game. It seems like they are having to put alot of points on the board just to win the game.

True but they also improve each time after halftime and get settled down. They once again only allowed 1 TD in the second half and that was in the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter with Somerset having a short field to work with after a botched punt.

What is up with these comments from Cobb?

“I think Coach Larkey tried to help us out a bit by running plays at the end. I was kind of glad he did it. He just gave us a chance to force a turnover and steal a win.”

From what I saw, the Bears took 3 straight knees inside the 10 yard line to avoid scoring, they had to snap the ball or else they would've been penalized. They had to run one more play after the first down because SHS had another timeout, then the Bears took a knee.

“We gave them a pick-six, a freebie. We just killed ourselves,” Cobb said. “That’s what this young team has been doing all year long. We gave them too many gifts, and you can’t do that against a football team like that.”

How did SHS kill themselves, HC had 4 fumbles and lost 2 inside the 5 yard line one was for a TD, from the game I saw the Bears was just giving SHS opportunities to stay in the game with these turnovers, however, no one forced SHS to throw the ball into the hands of HC"s DB's on good defensive reads.

“The corner and safety sank, and we had (a receiver) sitting there, wide-open, at 15 yards. (Spears) just missed the read,” Cobb said. “If the corner sinks, hit the under route. If the corner sits on the under, hit the over route. He did a good job of it at times — he did a terrible job on that.”

What is it they say; there are 3 things that can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them aren't good. They could've just ran the ball, especially since the staff admits they have such a young team.

"You just saw a senior-laden ball club against a very young team,” Somerset coach Jay Cobb said. “They’re a pretty good football team. I thought our kids battled and played, but what you saw was a bunch of 14- and 15-year-olds playing bunch of 17- and 18-year-olds.”

SHS started 7 seniors

HC started 7 seniors

Terrible excuse. I cannot believe some of the post game quotes, they just scream pity party to me.

http://www.harlandaily.com/articles/...c940599418.txt

http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/loc...313010908.html

Edited by STRIKE3
added Links

There was no one wide open 15 yards down field. There was an OLB right there on the curl where he was supposed to be waiting and baiting the throw on the play Cobb was talking about. He is insane sometimes. HC also had two punts basically blocked, a blown coverge. This game is one I am sure coaches would love to play again.

What is up with these comments from Cobb?

“I think Coach Larkey tried to help us out a bit by running plays at the end. I was kind of glad he did it. He just gave us a chance to force a turnover and steal a win.”

From what I saw, the Bears took 3 straight knees inside the 10 yard line to avoid scoring, they had to snap the ball or else they would've been penalized. They had to run one more play after the first down because SHS had another timeout, then the Bears took a knee.

“We gave them a pick-six, a freebie. We just killed ourselves,” Cobb said. “That’s what this young team has been doing all year long. We gave them too many gifts, and you can’t do that against a football team like that.”

How did SHS kill themselves, HC had 4 fumbles and lost 2 inside the 5 yard line one was for a TD, from the game I saw the Bears was just giving SHS opportunities to stay in the game with these turnovers, however, no one forced SHS to throw the ball into the hands of HC"s DB's on good defensive reads.

“The corner and safety sank, and we had (a receiver) sitting there, wide-open, at 15 yards. (Spears) just missed the read,” Cobb said. “If the corner sinks, hit the under route. If the corner sits on the under, hit the over route. He did a good job of it at times — he did a terrible job on that.”

What is it they say; there are 3 things that can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them aren't good. They could've just ran the ball, especially since the staff admits they have such a young team.

"You just saw a senior-laden ball club against a very young team,” Somerset coach Jay Cobb said. “They’re a pretty good football team. I thought our kids battled and played, but what you saw was a bunch of 14- and 15-year-olds playing bunch of 17- and 18-year-olds.”

SHS started 7 seniors

HC started 7 seniors

Terrible excuse. I cannot believe some of the post game quotes, they just scream pity party to me.

I agree. I thought his comments were out there. Really surprised me coming from Cobb. He better be glad we basically were asleep for the first half. My hats off to the Somerset kids, I thought they played harder than we did the first half but a win is a win and we will take it.