Does Ft. Thomas realize/appreciate what they have?

ft bronc

Great posts guys! It's too bad other young high school men don"t get the chance to fully develop their skills. I think about this everytime I watch Highlands totally dominate another team. I feel sorry for the other team's players, but, of course, I'm yelling for the Birds on every play.:dancingpa

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the contents of the Birdmobile (inhabitants, libations, and other items on which I will not elaborate at this time) seen at most of the state championships, I'd say this is a fairly decent indication that Ft Thomas residents appreciate the local gridiron stature.

I agree. That's why this is a legacy town. People live here for generations. They pass on their homes, their schools and their traditions through multiple generations. No need to go on about it; the first post said it all. But rest assured, the people of Ft. Thomas are VERY aware of the treasure that is this community.

I have never heard that expression before, but I think you hit it on the head.

There is a chance that my oldest was the first, fourth generation grad from Highlands when he graduated in 2000. My grandfather (1917) was a "water boy" for the football team. My dad (1952) played baseball, basketball and in the band. I was asked to leave/graduated in 72. I only played football my freshman year and was lucky to live long enough (I was tall, but on the light side. 6 ' 6" 165 lbs when I graduated) to play baseball as a senior.

I was one that did not understand or grasp the quality of the education I received until I got into college. After that, I couldn't imagine sending my kids to school anywhere else.

Ft T is a great town...walking to the games, road tripping, having a cold beverage at Warner's now after the games and seeing the generations that DO appreciate what they have, both in education and athletics.

I guess that is a lot of words (I guess I caught a little case of LN) to say YES!:thumb:

I converted to a cakeater in Feb 1999 moving my family there primarily to get the kids in the school system and live in a great neighborhood. In the 9 1/2 yrs I have been in Ft. Thomas I have met some wonderful people, all very friendly and willing to give you the shirt off of their back. Its a community that does eat and sleep football but also they demand the best academics and the parental involvement is top notch.

I think one of the most important things about raising your family in a community such as Ft.Thomas is the relationships you build and the lifelong connections that are formed. I tell my kids all the time to be as nice and courteous to every person you meet whether it be a new student or a parent or a coach. You never know when you might need that person whether its 10, 15 or 20 yrs down the road. Whether it be when your fresh out of college and job searching or if you are needing volunteers to assist you in a fundraising effort or whatever. I have yet to have a bad experience here and hope to enjoy many more years in this city.

Ok, here ends the love fest. I've been in Fort Thomas 23 years and can't imagine living anywhere else. Love the schools, town and people. However, I do have to wonder if people really do appreciate what they have in the football program when I see large sections of empty seats at almost any game not involving CCH. I realize there are tons of people standing around the end zones and such but with a progam like ours I think it should be SRO every game no matter who we are playing.

75, you do raise a very valid point and it is a pet peeve of mine. I do wish we had even better attendance at home games than we do.

As people know, I get particularly upset with those parents that drop off the face of the earth as soon as their sons graduate. They should be supporting the program that supported their sons, and in some cases got their sons college scholarships. Many a parent has said how much their sons have benefitted from participating in Highlands football; how their kids have learned committment and discipline, how to work hard, developed into leaders, etc., etc. Yet some of those same parents, when given the easy opportunity to "pay back" the program that really helped their sons by simply showing up on Friday night and supporting the Birds, fail to do so.

And those parents whose kids got athletic scholarships that then fail to financially support the program also really get me going. I realize that not every one can make a financial contribution, but many that can afford it, simply don't You'd think that they'd realize just what this program did to really help their sons get scholarships (and thus save the parents tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in college tuition) and out of "appreciation " would financially support that program. But I have to tell you, too many do not. If this hits too close to home for some posters, I make zero apologies for it. :mad:

But there are a lot, a whole lot, of people in our town that truly appreciate what we have and appreciate all the work done by many people over many decades to get the program to the point that it is. I'm not talking just about the coaches (God bless them and their families), but the many volunteers that do so much for the high school program and the many, many volunteers involved in the Jr. Football program that is the foundation of Highlands football. And the fans that show up year after year with out any sons or family on the team are also greatly appreciated for their continued support of the program. :thumb:

75, you do raise a very valid point and it is a pet peeve of mine. I do wish we had even better attendance at home games than we do.

As people know, I get particularly upset with those parents that drop off the face of the earth as soon as their sons graduate. They should be supporting the program that supported their sons, and in some cases got their sons college scholarships. Many a parent has said how much their sons have benefitted from participating in Highlands football; how their kids have learned committment and discipline, how to work hard, developed into leaders, etc., etc. Yet some of those same parents, when given the easy opportunity to "pay back" the program that really helped their sons by simply showing up on Friday night and supporting the Birds, fail to do so.

And those parents whose kids got athletic scholarships that then fail to financially support the program also really get me going. I realize that not every one can make a financial contribution, but many that can afford it, simply don't You'd think that they'd realize just what this program did to really help their sons get scholarships (and thus save the parents tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in college tuition) and out of "appreciation " would financially support that program. But I have to tell you, too many do not. If this hits too close to home for some posters, I make zero apologies for it. :mad:

But there are a lot, a whole lot, of people in our town that truly appreciate what we have and appreciate all the work done by many people over many decades to get the program to the point that it is. I'm not talking just about the coaches (God bless them and their families), but the many volunteers that do so much for the high school program and the many, many volunteers involved in the Jr. Football program that is the foundation of Highlands football. And the fans that show up year after year with out any sons or family on the team are also greatly appreciated for their continued support of the program. :thumb:

Me too!!! It gets my blood boiling when people just stop supporting. I don't even have a kid on the team but i would be one of the 1st ones to drop what i was doing to provide for that program. That program is a family to me and that's how i treat it. If you don't like what comes with the program on and off the field then don't waste our time. Period!!!!!

Me too!!! It gets my blood boiling when people just stop supporting. I don't even have a kid on the team but i would be one of the 1st ones to drop what i was doing to provide for that program. That program is a family to me and that's how i treat it. If you don't like what comes with the program on and off the field then don't waste our time. Period!!!!!

I know you and your family Boom are some of the greatest supporters of the Birds. Many, many thanks. :thumb::thumb::thumb: