Russia Invades Georgia

Bush should have been home to deal with this situation. He should have at least cut his Olympic vacation short and delivered a message like McCain's to Putin.

He spoke to Putin in person at the Olympics. What more do you want? This is Condi Rice's job anyway. I'd rather the president show his support for Americans and continue the goodwill toward China instead of scurrying back home to make a speech to someone he's already talked to at the Olympics. That makes no sense to me. Of course, there's a reason why I don't stumble in here too often....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama definitely has a big edge when planted in front of a teleprompter but McCain does pretty well in an interview setting. I get the sense that America is becoming less hooked on Obama every day and the more often McCain can get him to talk off script, the better McCain's chances.

I am tending to agree more and more. The other day I saw Obama answering questions and he was not as articulate and precise with his answers as I thought he would be. I'm not sure McCain is any better but I don't know that the gap is as large as i once thought.

He spoke to Putin in person at the Olympics. What more do you want? This is Condi Rice's job anyway. I'd rather the president show his support for Americans and continue the goodwill toward China instead of scurrying back home to make a speech to someone he's already talked to at the Olympics. That makes no sense to me. Of course, there's a reason why I don't stumble in here too often....
Besides, what is Bush going to threaten Putin with? Nukes? That's all we have that isn't already in use somewhere else. We're stretched a little thin here guys.

A few observations:

What is the United States to do in this situation? The U.S. is not in a position to intervene militarily. Though the U.S. could, a further destabilization of the Middle East and a greater increase of Iranian power would ultimately result. Russia is making a powerful move here, but their reasoning is evident. As with Chechnya, Russia is not allowing a former Soviet-republic to slip from under its authority. Not that they are a jealous giant, though they are, Chechnya and Georgia both possess resources and strategic location Russia has become used to enjoying. Beyond this, Russia is making a bold display for the world to see: their military power should not be underestimated as it has since their fall. The propositions of Russia moving away from its gains toward a more liberal country within, as well as exerting pressure and force outside are frightening. Whether or not Russia ceases its current hostilities, they have made their statement.

Though the Russian situation produces difficult questions for the United States’ new role abroad, as our military is tied up in the Middle East and our diplomatic powers seem to be waning, the situation presents questions for the candidates as well.

This situation could thrust foreign policy into the central issue of the campaign, affecting vice-presidential nominations, rhetoric, etc. This is an advantage for McCain, being that he is viewed as the greater of the two with regards to foreign policy and security, however, his proclivity toward military use could create voter weary. Obama has given the impression thus far that he doesn’t know what to do or how to handle it, but depending on the outcome, his focus on diplomacy as a solution could be beneficial in November.

From what I've read, Georgia had been kicking sand in Putin's face (against strong US and Western Europe advise) for some time and Russia had been planning for some time to respond militarily. Provoking Putin at a time when he, in my opinion, has been looking for the opportunity to reassert Russia's military might and return as a super power was not a smart thing to do and it evidently provoked the current Russian response.

I heard on the news this morning that Russia has stopped its advance. Not sure if that is because of diplomatic threats from the West or Putin thinks he has gotten his message across. While Georgian President Saakashvili is supposedly a smart guy, his missteps in provoking Putin make me wonder. With the US focusing on Iraq and Afghanistan and Bush being pretty much a lame duck President, he should have known that our ability to protect Georgia, as pro Western as he may be, would be very limited. It sure would be a good time for some of the other Western "powers" to show some spine.

Georgia had been playing with fire for years. South Ossetia is a part of Georgia by border only. It is effectively autonomous and a great many of its citizens consider themselves Russian. Many even hold Russian passports which they claim makes them Russian citizens. The Georgian government has wanted to bring South Ossetia into the fold for years now and even tried something similar four years ago, when they sent some of their troops into South Ossetia. This was bound to happen sooner or later.

Are you sure that he spoke to Putin after the Russians invaded Georgia? My understanding is that Putin sent word via an emissary. Personally, I think our government has been trying a little too hard to show goodwill toward the thuggish regimes in China and Russia. I am sure that the people of the former Soviet republics and Tibet would agree.

Besides, what is Bush going to threaten Putin with? Nukes? That's all we have that isn't already in use somewhere else. We're stretched a little thin here guys.
I did not say that we should threaten them, although firing a shot over the bow of Cuba or Venezuela might not be a bad idea. While Russia and China are terrorizing their neighbors, we seem to have discarded the Monroe Doctrine.

Are you sure that he spoke to Putin after the Russians invaded Georgia? My understanding is that Putin sent word via an emissary. Personally, I think our government has been trying a little too hard to show goodwill toward the thuggish regimes in China and Russia. I am sure that the people of the former Soviet republics and Tibet would agree.

The war began Thursday. The opening ceremony was Friday. They were seen speaking on Saturday.

I did not say that we should threaten them, although firing a shot over the bow of Cuba or Venezuela might not be a bad idea. While Russia and China are terrorizing their neighbors, we seem to have discarded the Monroe Doctrine.
Firing a shot over Cuba would upset more people in West Tampa, than it would Moscow. Russia isn't ignorant. We can huff and blow and pout and fire across bows 'til we turn purple, they know, like everyone else, that we don't have the resourses, or the will for that matter, to follow up.

Firing a shot over Cuba would upset more people in West Tampa, than it would Moscow. Russia isn't ignorant. We can huff and blow and pout and fire across bows 'til we turn purple, they know, like everyone else, that we don't have the resourses, or the will for that matter, to follow up.
A sure way to get more of the same from Putin is to take a timid position. I was, of course, speaking metaphorically about Cuba and Venezuela, but we could be taken a stronger stand in this hemisphere. If we do not, we are likely to face another Cuban missile crisis, if the Russians have not already set up shop there.

A good start would to start signing free trade agreements with countries like Columbia. Hopefully, the CIA has some covert operations to topple Hugo Chavez because he has certainly been working hard to spread his brand of marxism across Latin America.

Putin aims to rekindle the Cold War and we will have no choice but to join the fight if we want to survive as a free nation. Russia, like the USSR before it, is a bully and will continue to expand until it meets some stiff resistance. This is obviously the wrong time to be slashing the budget for advanced weapons research.