NBA All Stars Going to Europe to Play?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do European players get paid more? There economies pretty much stink too. I am actually wondering.

True, Europe is facing a lot of the same problems with the credit crunch as we are here in the states. What helps them is that the Euro is currently so much stronger than the dollar. Makes for a heck of an exchange when paying for things back in the states.

I read an article not long ago about Las Vegas attempting to attract Europeans because gambling profits are actually down for the first time in a long while. The reasoning is that the pound and the Euro are so strong that they're attracted by the exchange rate. If you're English, you can come over and lose 500 dollars, but its only 250 pounds.

And I agree with gametime, this is way more noteworthy than Brandon Jennings playing in Europe. That got a brief mention on the internet. There was not a single NBA-oriented blog that I regularly read that did not have lots to say on Childress going overseas.

Which is why it will be interesting to see if Childress bucks the trend...

I've always been a Josh Childress for some strange reason (maybe it was the hair), but he was a disappointment and drafted over in Atlanta.

It's interesting to hear stars such as Kidd & DWade talking about it, but I don't see Childress setting a new trend...

True, Europe is facing a lot of the same problems with the credit crunch as we are here in the states. What helps them is that the Euro is currently so much stronger than the dollar. Makes for a heck of an exchange when paying for things back in the states.

I read an article not long ago about Las Vegas attempting to attract Europeans because gambling profits are actually down for the first time in a long while. The reasoning is that the pound and the Euro are so strong that they're attracted by the exchange rate. If you're English, you can come over and lose 500 dollars, but its only 250 pounds.

And I agree with gametime, this is way more noteworthy than Brandon Jennings playing in Europe. That got a brief mention on the internet. There was not a single NBA-oriented blog that I regularly read that did not have lots to say on Childress going overseas.

The exchange rate info you brought up hits the nail on the head. I was watching CNBC today and the dollar is so weak compared to the Euro that they said it was relatively inexpensive for the teams to pay American athletes well enough to make them consider a European move. This is having an impact on both basketball and hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

Magic's Arroyo signs with team Overseas

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3517862

Another established NBA free agent is heading overseas.

Veteran point guard Carlos Arroyo, whose future with the Orlando Magic appeared to vanish after limited minutes in the playoffs and the Magic's recent signing of Anthony Johnson, has accepted an offer from Israeli giants Maccabi Tel-Aviv.

Arroyo becomes the eighth player who worked in the NBA in 2007-08 to sign with a foreign club since free agency commenced July 1.

All of the other players to sign with European clubs in recent weeks -- Serbia's Nenad Krstic, Spain's Juan Carlos Navarro and Jorge Garbajosa, Argentina's Carlos Delfino and Slovenia's Bostjan Nachbar and Primoz Brezec -- played for top-level teams overseas before coming to the NBA.

I have a solution that is totally insane and inprobably.:D

Make all teams in all countries all be in the same league. Then, take the champions from every country, like the Celtics from the US, and put them into a big playoff. All teams have salary caps the same and all. A solution that will never happen, just a suggestion.