NBA All Stars Going to Europe to Play?

Where it will be an issue IMO is guys hanging around at the "mid level cap exception" level, or guys like Childress that were looking at a luke warm free agent deal...

What about if some of the superstars see mid-level guys go overseas and start getting paid as much as they are? Is it possible that some of them could even start to wonder how much more they could make in Europe?

I read an article that said one Euro was equal to $1.59. That means the European teams can offer better deals...if that trend continues, at what point does it become a serious threat to the NBA?

Or, speculating even more, could we eventually see the NBA expand to include European teams? Now that would be interesting.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about if some of the superstars see mid-level guys go overseas and start getting paid as much as they are? Is it possible that some of them could even start to wonder how much more they could make in Europe?

I read an article that said one Euro was equal to $1.59. That means the European teams can offer better deals...if that trend continues, at what point does it become a serious threat to the NBA?

Or, speculating even more, could we eventually see the NBA expand to include European teams? Now that would be interesting.

The thing with the big name players is their marketing prowess in the states, and how that would translate to the Euro market. Most of the bag names make the majority of their money off the court...

What's the US equivalent gross contract required to NET $20M like Childress is going to?

Don't most players over there also get free housing and transportation? I mean even lower level players don't pay for housing from stories I've heard.

The thing with the big name players is their marketing prowess in the states, and how that would translate to the Euro market. Most of the bag names make the majority of their money off the court...

I agree...for now. But, the process has started. Basketball has obviously grown in popularity in Europe. Now, if Childress goes over and has success and becomes popular with the fans and the sport continues to grow, then what.

I don't think it's going to crumble overnight, but if the dollar continues to fall while the Euro goes up and basketball continues to grow in Europe, it could eventually get to the point where it's a real problem for the NBA.

One-and-dones go to Europe...what if they like it and stay? If they have success and those teams offer them more than they'd get as a rookie in the NBA, will they come back?

Guys like Childress...

And, what about the influx of European talent? Will it slow or stop? Will those guys start to stay at home?

It seems like this could start to deplete the depth of talent in the NBA and if things continue to thrive in Europe, it could easily work it's way up the ladder to superstar players.

It's a pretty interesting idea and scenario to me. I'll be curious to see how it plays out over the next decade.

If the major Euro markets get involved, this could get VERY interesting...

It's uber-interesting to me. Like I said, I'm very curious to see this play out over the next 5-10 years.

I'd love to see the NBA merge with the Euro-league in some way to form a more global league...imagine a day when west vs. east means hemisphere's and not conferences. :D

To be honest, I think that would be awesome.

I don't like this. When these players become a big name in USA and then move on to Europe to make a little more money, even thought I don't blame them. Even if they do go then Lebron would have to play for the USA team, but would we allow that??? I mean if he leaves the USA he would lose fans over here. I dont see this becoming a big problem for big names because they make their name on the teams and make as much money in the market off the floor in the USA. Mid names or over the hill players that have established themselfs here may have to consider it for a big retirement check.