What do you like best about Bass Fishing (or any type of fishing)?

oldrambler

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this question were. I will list some of mine............................

I like the peace and quiet that I find on the water. There are no phones ringing, radios or televisions blaring. I only hear the quiet sound of my reel handle turning and my lure entering or coming out of the water. Even though I really enjoy going fishing with a good friend at times, there's a quiet solitude that goes with bass fishing that I really enjoy.

I get to decide what time I get up in the morning and what time I'm going to come home. Once I leave the launch site, I make every decision that rules my life on that day. I determine where I'll fish, what lures I'll use, what type of area I want to fish, what targets I'll cast to, how long I'll fish each piece of cover, and when I'll change locations, lures, tactics and strategies.

Another aspect of bass fishing that I really enjoy is tricking the bass, which are very smart. I try to make bass believe that an object made of lead, plastic, wire and other substances is something good to eat. Competing with the bass in his territory is exciting for me.

I also enjoy learning what the bass are doing on any given day. Bass are constantly in a different pattern or frame of mind. Before I can catch bass consistently and make them bite my lures, I must know what to do to catch the bass on that paticular day. On many days, you must be a good fisherman to decide the lure bass will prefer. The mental challenge of bass fishing excites me and makes this sport a new and different game every day.

Some days I win but most days the fish win. I guess that is the way it is supposed to be. Otherwise, they would call it "catching".

These are just some of the things that I love about fishing. What are some that everyone else enjoys?

Edited by oldrambler

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the peace and quiet that I find on the water. There are no phones ringing, radios or televisions blaring. I only hear the quiet sound of my reel handle turning and my lure entering or coming out of the water. Even though I really enjoy going fishing with a good friend at times, there's a quiet solitude that goes with bass fishing that I really enjoy.

Besides catching fish that is # 1 for me

Fishing (for bass or anything for that matter) is something that I really enjoy doing.

As stated above there is nothing like heading out on a lake or river in the early morning with the mist rising off of the water in anticipation of catching a few fish.

Fishing has taken me to some incredible places. Canada many times where I continue to marvel at the natural beauty of the wilderness and the pine scented air; Quebec (also in Canada) where you cross into a different world: The Northwest Territories (Great Slave Lake) where I got to experience fishing twenty-four hours a day if I wished, and flat-lined for lake trout an caught monster pike routinely from a lake that enjoys only six weeks out of the year that it is not covered by ice. I enjoy Pickwick Lake, Tennessee, the people there are the most friendly and laid back in the world, and I truly enjoy my trips here closer to home on the Ohio River.

While many fish for fish, I strictly fish for sport, and again as stated above the thrill is in the hunt, seeking out fish and making the right presentations. My truly greatest thrill in fishing is not in the fight so much, as it is in the hit and the hookset. Being a finesse type fisherman, using grubs and tubes, some of you might understand what I'm talking about.

I have developed a true admiration for smallmouth bass. They are incredible fish, and I am fortunate to catch so many quality, beautiful specimens.

I have three loves in my life and all three are entirely different. Fishing, Basketball, and Horse Racing. While I'm at any of the three I'm totally dedicated to it, but fishing is where my roots are, and there is nothing in the world like putting the boat in and heading out for a day on the water.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this question were. I will list some of mine............................

I get to decide what time I get up in the morning and what time I'm going to come home. Once I leave the launch site, I make every decision that rules my life on that day. I determine where I'll fish, what lures I'll use, what type of area I want to fish, what targets I'll cast to, how long I'll fish each piece of cover, and when I'll change locations, lures, tactics and strategies.

Another aspect of bass fishing that I really enjoy is tricking the bass, which are very smart. I try to make bass believe that an object made of lead, plastic, wire and other substances is something good to eat. Competing with the bass in his territory is exciting for me.

I also enjoy learning what the bass are doing on any given day. Bass are constantly in a different pattern or frame of mind. Before I can catch bass consistently and make them bite my lures, I must know what to do to catch the bass on that paticular day. On many days, you must be a good fisherman to decide the lure bass will prefer. The mental challenge of bass fishing excites me and makes this sport a new and different game every day.

Some days I win but most days the fish win. I guess that is the way it is supposed to be. Otherwise, they would call it "catching".

These are just some of the things that I love about fishing. What are some that everyone else enjoys?

You listed some great reasons to fish Oldrambler and I feel the same about most of them.

While catching some fish is great, it is last on my list.(especially as I age) Nothing compares to a day on the water with a family member or friend. Being outdoors and seeing what God has created for us is one of the most enjoyable things I have ever experienced.

My desire to fish is not as strong as it once was since I lost my dad, but every time I go it does bring back some great memories that he and I made together, and to me that is what makes it all worthwhile.

While catching some fish is great, it is last on my list.(especially as I age) Nothing compares to a day on the water with a family member or friend. Being outdoors and seeing what God has created for us is one of the most enjoyable things I have ever experienced.My desire to fish is not as strong as it once was since I lost my dad, but every time I go it does bring back some great memories that he and I made together, and to me that is what makes it all worthwhile.

:thumb: I feel the exact same way. Cville as you very well know, I think of my Dad as well everytime that I think about fishing or whenever I go. With my physical limitations with this disease I now cannot go like I used to but I cherish it each and every time. God has given us (all of us) a great thing in the great outdoors. I personally wouldn't trade one time out for anything. Everyday in the outdoors is special.

As well as with our Dad's, you and I have shared some great times on the water as well as in the squirrel, rabbit and deer hunting woods through the years as well.:thumb:

I only hope that everyone could get to experience getting outdoors hunting and fishing.

:thumb: I feel the exact same way. Cville as you very well know, I think of my Dad as well everytime that I think about fishing or whenever I go. With my physical limitations with this disease I now cannot go like I used to but I cherish it each and every time. God has given us (all of us) a great thing in the great outdoors. I personally wouldn't trade one time out for anything. Everyday in the outdoors is special.

As well as with our Dad's, you and I have shared some great times on the water as well as in the squirrel, rabbit and deer hunting woods through the years as well.:thumb:

I only hope that everyone could get to experience getting outdoors hunting and fishing.

:thumb::thumb:

#1 Being on the water when the sun comes up and watching an explosion on a topwater bait. That is the best, gives me chills everytime.

#2 Watching my son catch a fish, take it off the hook himself and smile at me with a smart remark about how he is a better fisherman than me.... Priceless

Went fishing for the first time and many years ago I used to take or meet my father he is in a nursing home and don't fish any more. It was peaceful at the lake with some close friends however, still missed my dad being there and out fishing me. I still got out fished yesterday by my friends however, I had a great time just relaxing. JD

That was last year, Long Point Bay. I know you know what I'm talkin' about there!!!!!!! All I can say is.....I sure miss Fred Martin.

I certainly do know what you are talking about Doc. I miss Fred as well, all that was needed was Rip, Hieneman, Bob Hill, Darrell Kazee, "Ukie" Thompson, Mike Norman, Spindoc, Sr. and the rest of the Angler's Paradise gang.