What do you like best about Bass Fishing (or any type of fishing)?

oldrambler

Went fishing for the first time and many years ago I used to take or meet my father he is in a nursing home and don't fish any more. It was peaceful at the lake with some close friends however, still missed my dad being there and out fishing me. I still got out fished yesterday by my friends however, I had a great time just relaxing. JD

:thumb: Great story JD

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly do know what you are talking about Doc. I miss Fred as well, all that was needed was Rip, Hieneman, Bob Hill, Darrell Kazee, "Ukie" Thompson, Mike Norman, Spindoc, Sr. and the rest of the Angler's Paradise gang.

And Boo Williams. One of my faves. The campground at Long Point the summer that Bob H., and Fred had a blue million fish and they got in major trouble, I was 13 and can remember there was everyone but the Canadian mounted police on the scene. We would have been over the limit too, but thankfully we just finished a campground wide fishfry with our catch and the evidence was gone! Fred and Bob had their "stringers" stretched from bow to stern of his Champion with fish and were cheesin' for the cameras.

But it was the comradarie of that bunch that made me so hooked on fishing that I'll never forget it.

And Boo Williams. One of my faves. The campground at Long Point the summer that Bob H., and Fred had a blue million fish and they got in major trouble, I was 13 and can remember there was everyone but the Canadian mounted police on the scene. We would have been over the limit too, but thankfully we just finished a campground wide fishfry with our catch and the evidence was gone! Fred and Bob had their "stringers" stretched from bow to stern of his Champion with fish and were cheesin' for the cameras.

But it was the comradarie of that bunch that made me so hooked on fishing that I'll never forget it.

:thumb: I didn't know that you were there that year. Ill never forget them telling me about it and especially when the game warden (Canadian equivilent) came up and Bob Hill had is foot resting on a cooler with WAY over the limit and Hill promptly said....."Sir, I can show you my five, I don't know who the heck the rest of them belong to".....classic!! I don't know if I ever laughed as hard.:lol:

Hope this isn't thread-hijacking.

We have a nice little farm pond out in our backyard that we like to fish and watch the duck, turtles, frogs,etc... I regularly treat it with pond chemicals to control algae, cattails, weeds, etc. We've pulled out some nice-sized bass the past few years. This year we haven't caught a single one. Pulling out some monster catfish and nice-sized bluegill, but can't catch a single bass. I don't fish all that much, but my son (16 years) does alot and he can't figure out what's going on. Nothing like pulling out a big ol' bass. Unless it's eating one . . .

Any thoughts? Possible they could have died for some reason during the winter? It's not a huge pond (1/4 acre) and only 6 feet or so in middle. If they all died, wouldn't we have seen them floating around at some point?

Hope this isn't thread-hijacking.

We have a nice little farm pond out in our backyard that we like to fish and watch the duck, turtles, frogs,etc... I regularly treat it with pond chemicals to control algae, cattails, weeds, etc. We've pulled out some nice-sized bass the past few years. This year we haven't caught a single one. Pulling out some monster catfish and nice-sized bluegill, but can't catch a single bass. I don't fish all that much, but my son (16 years) does alot and he can't figure out what's going on. Nothing like pulling out a big ol' bass. Unless it's eating one . . .

Any thoughts? Possible they could have died for some reason during the winter? It's not a huge pond (1/4 acre) and only 6 feet or so in middle. If they all died, wouldn't we have seen them floating around at some point?

I don't know, could you have possibly fished all of the bass out of the pond? I don't know if you were keeping all of them or not but a small pond can be fished out. Also, things can go the other direction in a small pond, if it was over populated then the fish may have "stunted" themselves out (to many fish, not enough baitfish/food for the area). One thing that you may want to try is to contact the KDFW, they can send a representative out to take a survey of your pond. I know that they stock new ponds for free, I believe any existing ponds would have to be void of all fish before the would stock it for you. I would think that it would be worth checking out though.

JMO and good luck.....:thumb:

Don't fish nearly as much, as when younger. I absolutely enjoyed the times with my grandfather and dad. The stories and life lessons, were priceless. I wanted to be like them both so much, I would mimic their movements, even though I had no idea what I was doing.

The peacefulness and quietness, of the sounds of outdoors was always enjoyable. Ah, the good 'ole days and thanks OR, for the reminder of great times.

And Boo Williams.

How could I forget about Boo? He is one of my favorite people as well. Most of you guys were up at Long Point that year and Dowdy and I were back here and running the store, how did that happen?.....:eek:

Dang the bad luck. :D

Don't fish nearly as much, as when younger. I absolutely enjoyed the times with my grandfather and dad. The stories and life lessons, were priceless. I wanted to be like them both so much, I would mimic their movements, even though I had no idea what I was doing.

The peacefulness and quietness, of the sounds of outdoors was always enjoyable. Ah, the good 'ole days and thanks OR, for the reminder of great times.

That , what you along with the stories that others have shared is what fishing is all about. Good friends, family and the peace of the outdoors. .....Priceless!!

I don't know, could you have possibly fished all of the bass out of the pond? I don't know if you were keeping all of them or not but a small pond can be fished out. Also, things can go the other direction in a small pond, if it was over populated then the fish may have "stunted" themselves out (to many fish, not enough baitfish/food for the area). One thing that you may want to try is to contact the KDFW, they can send a representative out to take a survey of your pond. I know that they stock new ponds for free, I believe any existing ponds would have to be void of all fish before the would stock it for you. I would think that it would be worth checking out though.

JMO and good luck.....:thumb:

We hardly ever kept any of the fish so I feel good we didn't fish it out. I will look into the stunting thing and definitely contact KDFW like you suggested. Thanks for the tip.

Very, very rarely. Probably ate only two last year.

The reason I asked, I had a farm pond around the same size. I fed Southern States fish food and the catfish took over. I didn't take any out. Just kept catching 8 pounders whenever we wanted. And although that was fun, the bass pop. became non-existant. My theory is that the cats ate everything including any frye that the bass may have produced. Just a thought. Fisheries biologist from our district suggested the same thing. I say have a monstrous catfish fry and see if things don't spruce up for the bass population. And OR was correct, they can come and shock a pond that small and you can literally see what you have in there. Good luck.:thumb:

:thumb: I didn't know that you were there that year. Ill never forget them telling me about it and especially when the game warden (Canadian equivilent) came up and Bob Hill had is foot resting on a cooler with WAY over the limit and Hill promptly said....."Sir, I can show you my five, I don't know who the heck the rest of them belong to".....classic!! I don't know if I ever laughed as hard.:lol:

I see Bob almost every day and he has failed to tell me that story. I cant wait to get to work and see his reaction when I ask him about it. :banana:

I see Bob almost every day and he has failed to tell me that story. I cant wait to get to work and see his reaction when I ask him about it. :banana:
While you're at it, ask him about the time he got us stranded on the other side of Dale Hollow Lake with a blown Chrysler motor. You'll enjoy that one too.

I to love the early morning bass fishing as well. I really use to love to go out about 12-1a.m. with a couple friends and cat fish until early morning then hit the top-water. Now, I only get to do that a couple times a year but it is still great. I eat small pond and lake cats 5-8 times a year.