Arizona Recruit Brandon Jennings

saint4

I heard on ESPN that he is looking to go to Europe to play pro ball for a year because he wants to go straight into professional basketball out of high school but can't do it in the states with the NBA 19 year old restriction.

I say just go to college and learn how to develop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3454157

Jennings considering playing in Europe instead of college

Brandon Jennings, who signed a letter of intent to play at Arizona, is looking at the unprecedented option of playing overseas next season to get ready for the 2009 NBA draft if he's not eligible to play for the Wildcats next season.

Jennings told ESPN.com that he is exploring the possibility of a professional basketball career. Jennings' mother, Alice Knox, has retained an attorney, Jeffrey Valle, to help look into the possibility that Jennings could play professionally in Europe while he waits to become eligible for the 2009 NBA draft.

Jennings, who is from the Los Angeles area but played the last two seasons at Oak Hill Academy (Va.), turns 19 on Sept. 23 and would need to spend one year out of high school and be 19 to be eligible for the 2009 draft.

The 6-2 Jennings is rated as the top point guard in the class of 2008 by ESPN.com. Jennings scored 12 points, had nine assists and six turnovers in the McDonald's All-American game in Milwaukee March 26.

Brandon Jennings, who signed a letter of intent to play at Arizona, is looking at the unprecedented option of playing overseas next season to get ready for the 2009 NBA draft if he's not eligible to play for the Wildcats next season.

Jennings told ESPN.com that he is exploring the possibility of a professional basketball career. Jennings' mother, Alice Knox, has retained an attorney, Jeffrey Valle, to help look into the possibility that Jennings could play professionally in Europe while he waits to become eligible for the 2009 NBA draft.

Jennings, who is from the Los Angeles area but played the last two seasons at Oak Hill Academy (Va.), turns 19 on Sept. 23 and would need to spend one year out of high school and be 19 to be eligible for the 2009 draft.

The 6-2 Jennings is rated as the top point guard in the class of 2008 by ESPN.com. Jennings scored 12 points, had nine assists and six turnovers in the McDonald's All-American game in Milwaukee March 26.

Thanks.

Seriously? Who is feeding him these ideas?

Why is it such a bad idea? He'll go play basketball professionally, make some money and continue to play a fundamental style against top competition before going into the NBA?

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but then again, I'm not that picky.

I think everybody is overlooking a key word in the story. If he can't play NCAA then overseas is a pretty good option. Based on the McD's game this kid is likely one and done either way.

I still can't understand why to some kids playing major D-1 ball is a chore instead of an honor. It just kills me to see guys who think they are too good to play Division I basketball at a high level. IMO it is one of the biggest things wrong with sports.

It would be nice to have an amazing all-star point guard, but I would almost rather have someone with just a little less talent who I couldn't probably hold onto for more than just one year. I have no problem with him going overseas to play...I mean it's his life.

If this does happen I think you will see this more & more often in the coming years...In the words of Puff Daddy, AKA Diddy, P. Diddy, and Puffy, "It's all about the benjamins baby!"

I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. OJ Mayo would have been a perfect candidate. USC could be facing trouble for taking a kid that had no intention of going to school for more than a year, and while he was there he allegedly was receiving money. I hope more of these kids start doing it.

Why is it such a bad idea? He'll go play basketball professionally, make some money and continue to play a fundamental style against top competition before going into the NBA?

Doesn't sound too bad to me, but then again, I'm not that picky.

Several reasons:

1. Euro and NBA styles are vastly different.

2. D1 provides more national exposure.

3. What euro team will want him for just one year?

4. An 18 year old isn't prepared for the culture shock of living in russia.

5. It's darn near un-American.

If this does happen I think you will see this more & more often in the coming years...In the words of Puff Daddy, AKA Diddy, P. Diddy, and Puffy, "It's all about the benjamins baby!"

I think that P. Diddy is changing back to Puff Daddy, I believe (because of an impending lawsuit)?

I don't blame this dude one bit. I understand why the NBA does it, and its good for the game, but I hate the rule. If you can play in the NBA (or if you want to) you should be able to