Religious Affiliation of U.S. Presidents

I don't see why not. If they don't know there is a God they can love, but know for certain there is a nation that is the United States of America and they love it, then why would that be a terrible thing for the country?

I'm not trying to call lbbc out, but I don't get how a person is judged as a bad, soulless person with no morals or ethics just because they don't know if God exists. It's sad to think that some imagine the only reason people try to be good people is to get into heaven. There are plenty of people who follow Jesus' example (even if they don't claim He was their inspiration) because it was a great way to live, not because they think He was the son of God.

Which would be worse? A President that swears in on the Bible, pledges to one nation under God, and doesn't truly believe it and lives a life full of lies and sin, or one who is open about not believing, or not sure if he or she believes in God but actually lives by the golden rule?

I agree with you. And for those who believe only a man of faith should be President, I say, which faith? Does denomination matter? Most of the Baptist and Nazarene churches I attended openly referred to the Mormon Church and Jehovah's Witnesses as cults. So, some would say we have had one president that was a cult follower. What about a Muslim? They believe in God. But maybe not your God, right? I truly feel that it is not necessarily a prerequisite for a leader of this country to profess affiliation with the Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, or any other Christian denomination. A man can be a great leader and a great President without a belief in the supernatural. And as we have seen, we can certainly have a professed believer who falls way short in being a competent leader. Religious belief and great leadership do not necessarily go hand in hand.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, just Article IV of the US Constitution that states:

"no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

:rolleyes:

I might add that this Constiutional Statement is much, much older than "In God we Trust."

Thanks for awnsering that for me :thumb:!

What is a River Brethern ?

The River Brethren is a name used to indicate certain Christian groups originating in 1770, during a revival movement among German colonizers in Pennsylvania. In the 17th century, Mennonite refugees from Switzerland had settled their homes near the Susquehanna River in the northeastern U.S.

Their religious guides, Jacob and John Engle, joined with the revival, and their followers were often known by their locality: a group of brethren from north of Marietta, Pennsylvania on the east side of the Susquehanna River came to be known as the River Brethren, perhaps they were baptized in the Susquehanna.

Link to Wiki