Religious Affiliation of U.S. Presidents

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Churchill was a pretty effective leader.

Could you show proof of the implied statement that Churchill was an atheist. I have been to several websites on him and see no mention of that.

Here is a quote from his official website in which he refers to the strength God gives us.

"Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat"

"I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many long months of toil and struggle.

"You ask what is our policy. I will say, it is to wage war with all our might, with all the strength that God can give us, to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime.

"You ask what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terror. Victory however long and hard the road may be. For without victory there is no survival."

—First speech as Prime Minister, House of Commons, 13 May 1940. Churchillfirst used the phrase “blood and sweat” in 1900; “Blood, sweat and tears” came together in his 1939 article, “Can FrancoRestore Unity and Strength to Spain.”

Here he quotes from Macabees.....

"Be Ye Men of Valour"

"Today is Trinity Sunday. Centuries ago words were written to be a call and a spur to the faithful servants of Truth and Justice: 'Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valour, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar. As the will of God is in Heaven, even so let it be.'"

—First broadcast as Prime Minister, 19 May 1940. Churchill adopted the quotation from 1 Maccabees 3:58-60. The four Books of the Maccabees, also spelled "Machabbes," are not in the Hebrew Bible but the first two books are part of canonical scripture in the Septuagint and the Vulgate and are in in the Protestant Apocrypha. But Churchill somewhat edited the text. For the original wording click here.

Not sure the implication of what you are saying by the bolded.

Kennedy did not seem like a very Catholic guy to me. He was an adulterer, for one. But I could be wrong, I won't say I am that familiar with his policies.

LBBC, I have read a number of historical essays which have ascribed Churchill as an athiest.

On the website of the Churchill Centre, which promotes Churchill's principles, he is described as "having made so many deposits in the bank of Religion "as a youth, that he had been "confidently withdrawng from it ever since, never bothering to check the balance--there might indeed be an overdraft."

In the same article , he is referenced as writing that he was an "optimistic agnostic" and "not a pillar of the Church, but more of a flying buttress--I support it from the outside." This presumably qualifies him for either the agnostic or ambiguous categories.

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=649

With all of the discussion during the primary season about the religious practices and beliefs of the candidates, I thought this would be interesting. Never knew we had a Quaker as President let alone two. Several Presidents with Eisenhower leading the way seemed to change religious affiliation over their lives.

Episcopalian (13)

George Washington

Thomas Jefferson

James Madison

James Monroe

William Henry Harrison

John Tyler

Zachary Taylor

Franklin Pierce

Chester A. Arthur

Theodore Roosevelt *

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Gerald Ford

George H. W. Bush

Presbyterian (10)

Andrew Jackson

James Knox Polk *

Ulysses S Grant *

Rutherford B. Hayes *

James Buchanan

Grover Cleveland

Benjamin Harrison

Woodrow Wilson

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ronald Reagan

Methodist (5)

James Knox Polk *

Ulysses S Grant *

Rutherford B. Hayes *

William McKinley

George W. Bush

Baptist (4)

Warren G. Harding

Harry S. Truman

Jimmy Carter

William Jefferson Clinton

Unitarian (4)

John Adams

John Quincy Adams

Millard Fillmore

William Howard Taft

Disciples of Christ (3)

James A. Garfield

Lyndon B. Johnson

Ronald Reagan

no specific denomination (3)

Thomas Jefferson

Abraham Lincoln

Andrew Johnson

Dutch Reformed (2)

Martin Van Buren

Theodore Roosevelt *

Quaker (2)

Herbert Hoover

Richard M. Nixon

Congregationalist (2)

John Adams *

Calvin Coolidge

Catholic (1)

John F. Kennedy

Jehovah's Witnesses (1*)

Dwight D. Eisenhower *

River Brethren (1*)

Dwight D. Eisenhower *

What is a River Brethern ?

So was Bill. Is Bill not a real Baptist?

It depends upon which Baptist you ask that question.

In 1993 Ronnie Floyd, Southern Baptist Pastor in Arkansas, stood up at the annual SBC meeting and made a motion to "Disfellowship" Immanuel Baptist Church in Little Rock, AK. The reason was because Bill Clinton's membership was there. :rolleyes:

So was Bill. Is Bill not a real Baptist?

Of course, they both have the opportunity to truly repent. But IMO adultery is a very serious sin. Once again, I can't really be sure, I won't say I am entirely familiar with Kennedy's Catholicism.