Religious Affiliation of U.S. Presidents

Of course, they both have the opportunity to truly repent. But IMO adultery is a very serious sin. Once again, I can't really be sure, I won't say I am entirely familiar with Kennedy's Catholicism.

Rose Kennedy was very much a Catholic practitioner and held the line with the children. The children (Robert, Jack, et al) still attended Mass when schedules permitted it. Their children were reared devoutly Catholic (see Ethel Kennedy).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rose Kennedy was very much a Catholic practitioner and held the line with the children. The children (Robert, Jack, et al) still attended Mass when schedules permitted it. Their children were reared devoutly Catholic (see Ethel Kennedy).

Than I am wrong. Although I strongly disagree with the bolded.

I believe the leader of this country could be an avowed athiest and still be a great President.

I don't see why not. If they don't know there is a God they can love, but know for certain there is a nation that is the United States of America and they love it, then why would that be a terrible thing for the country?

I'm not trying to call lbbc out, but I don't get how a person is judged as a bad, soulless person with no morals or ethics just because they don't know if God exists. It's sad to think that some imagine the only reason people try to be good people is to get into heaven. There are plenty of people who follow Jesus' example (even if they don't claim He was their inspiration) because it was a great way to live, not because they think He was the son of God.

Which would be worse? A President that swears in on the Bible, pledges to one nation under God, and doesn't truly believe it and lives a life full of lies and sin, or one who is open about not believing, or not sure if he or she believes in God but actually lives by the golden rule?

No, but at least one Deist in Jefferson. :thumb:

Are you (or anyone) familiar with the principles of Deism? I'd like to learn more and discuss about it. The very vague idea that I have of it is that God is like a clockmaker, who made the world and the way it works, and left it alone. Can anyone start a thread on it?

Are you (or anyone) familiar with the principles of Deism? I'd like to learn more and discuss about it. The very vague idea that I have of it is that God is like a clockmaker, who made the world and the way it works, and left it alone. Can anyone start a thread on it?

That's a common analogy of Deism.

To the Age of Enlightenment (such as Jefferson), it was a view of seeing God as a distant creator who left humanity to his/her devices. No personal God or relationship was expected. For most Deists, Jesus was a fine guy but not the Incarnation. In fact Jefferson took a knife to the Gospels and sliced out the passages he believed really weren't from Jesus. It was not a form of faith but a thought process. (Hence you won't find Deist Churches in the Phone Book)

That's a common analogy of Deism.

To the Age of Enlightenment (such as Jefferson), it was a view of seeing God as a distant creator who left humanity to his/her devices. No personal God or relationship was expected. For most Deists, Jesus was a fine guy but not the Incarnation. In fact Jefferson took a knife to the Gospels and sliced out the passages he believed really weren't from Jesus. It was not a form of faith but a thought process. (Hence you won't find Deist Churches in the Phone Book)

If you know more, I'd love it if you could start another thread, because I don't want to threadjack this one.

It depends upon which Baptist you ask that question.

In 1993 Ronnie Floyd, Southern Baptist Pastor in Arkansas, stood up at the annual SBC meeting and made a motion to "Disfellowship" Immanuel Baptist Church in Little Rock, AK. The reason was because Bill Clinton's membership was there. :rolleyes:

There is a lot worse southern baptists than Bill Clinton, I can show you a few in my church! :lol:

If you know more, I'd love it if you could start another thread, because I don't want to threadjack this one.
It's OK, it happens every time we have a thread like this and Jefferson is mentioned.

"In God We Trust... But Not Our Elected Leader":rolleyes:

No, just Article IV of the US Constitution that states:

"no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

:rolleyes:

I might add that this Constiutional Statement is much, much older than "In God we Trust."

Does anyone else find it surprising (not as in "I just found out", but in general), that the Catholic Faith is the largest Christian denomination in the world, but only has produced one American President? That's always been a source of intrigue to me.

We need a level playing field!

:jump: