Teacher Jobless After Stern Appearance

Pancake

Should this teacher been fired?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should this teacher been fired?

• yes
    • no

So you're of the mindset that as long as it wasn't illegal, she should still be a teacher?

What if she was on the town square with an expletive-filled sign against the U.S. or the President?

What if she was known to run a sexually-oriented website?

What if she was at a pro-marijuana rally?

What if she burned the U.S. flag?

Note: I'm all for her rights to do any and all of the above.

I'm with ya Clyde

She was hired as a teacher, a position that is a very RESPECTED position. She is with young children. I don't respect politicians, doctors, lawyers, business personnel and especially teachers dealing with children daily to act that way.

You saw the way the country reacted to Pres. Clinton when he actually did have relations with that woman. That was his personal business but really it isn't when you hold that job, or a teaching job, or your a doctor or anyone. Your personal life effects more than just your private sector and when people realize that , maybe they will begin to behave.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you're of the mindset that as long as it wasn't illegal, she should still be a teacher?

What if she was on the town square with an expletive-filled sign against the U.S. or the President?

What if she was known to run a sexually-oriented website?

What if she was at a pro-marijuana rally?

What if she burned the U.S. flag?

Note: I'm all for her rights to do any and all of the above.

1. No, not necessarily.

2. How in the WORLD is that comparable? If she was holding an expletive-filled sign against the U.S. I'd put her right along side the Phelps family and judge her mentally unstable. If it was against the President, well, that actually makes more sense, but I wouldn't think that's acceptable for a 2nd grade teacher. This is a case where she'd be trying to get attention in a much more negative way than the case that she's actually involved in. If she were in the town square, she'd want everyone to hear it. To be on a washed-up radio host's show that can only be heard by the handful of people that have satellite radio, well that's a bit more discreet.

3. Sexually-oriented website and being on a radio show (although, yes, a risque show) are a little bit different. One is much more directly accessible and the visual aspect is much more obvious than what was on the radio. I didn't listen to the program and probably wouldn't even if I could (Howard Stern is very hit or miss and often annoying to me), but considering Howard Stern is on satellite radio a parent has much more control of whether their child listens to it than what the child looks up online.

4. Good for her. It would be great for the economy if it were legalized. And if it were to be legalized it shouldn't be used by anyone under the age of 18. Is that so hard to explain to a child? My parents told me many times not to drink as a youth and I didn't. I was exposed to alcohol on numerous occasions as I'm sure young people were during prohibition, even when alcohol was illegal, but somehow, when it became legal again, America survived.

5. If she burned the flag, like #2, I would have to question her sanity and thought process to be able to teach our nations youth. Being outwardly hateful to your homeland and being sexual are two VERY, VERY different things.

I'm not saying that it WAS totally wrong that she was fired, or that it's not understandable. I didn't listen to the show and I don't know what kind of teacher she was. BUT, if she was a good teacher, then it was a waste on the school's part. If this was one of those situations where the she wasn't a very good educator to begin with and the school just needed a reason to fire her, then okay, I'm fine with this being the straw that broke the camel's back. But if the kids were coming out a good deal smarter and more mature than they were going in, then why? There's a shortage of good teachers as it is.

In KY, when a public school teacher signs a contract there is a stipulation that reads something about being a positive role model and have high morals.

Going on Howard Stern and participating in the schtick he does could easily be seen as in violation of that last part.

I have no problem with this. If it was the school's decision to do it (and I would do the same) than I don't blame them. Who appears on The Howard Stern show in a bikini? Not someone I'd want around kids.

She's not being sued- that would be different. But it's her employers' right, and I don't blame them.

I have no problem with this. If it was the school's decision to do it (and I would do the same) than I don't blame them. Who appears on The Howard Stern show in a bikini? Not someone I'd want around kids.

She's not being sued- that would be different. But it's her employers' right, and I don't blame them.

Yea, she relates really well with your 7 year old. :rolleyes:

In KY, when a public school teacher signs a contract there is a stipulation that reads something about being a positive role model and have high morals.

Going on Howard Stern and participating in the schtick he does could easily be seen as in violation of that last part.

To ladiesbballcoach, I am sure you are an outstanding person with high morals, but as a teacher you know that if the school enforced that rule half of the teachers you work with would be fired.

I know more male and female teachers who attend strip clubs, go out to downtown lexington on Saturday nights and get pretty wild. Shoot I attended a Christmas party put on by a principal of my school once and lets say their was not much morals to be found there. All of these things I think are worse than this young lady has did.

Yes, she went on a show that is controversial, but she did not disrobe or commit any lewd acts. I can not find a reason for her to be fired...

To ladiesbballcoach, I am sure you are an outstanding person with high morals, but as a teacher you know that if the school enforced that rule half of the teachers you work with would be fired.

I know more male and female teachers who attend strip clubs, go out to downtown lexington on Saturday nights and get pretty wild. Shoot I attended a Christmas party put on by a principal of my school once and lets say their was not much morals to be found there. All of these things I think are worse than this young lady has did.

Yes, she went on a show that is controversial, but she did not disrobe or commit any lewd acts. I can not find a reason for her to be fired...

Remember the teacher in WKY who lost her job because she was in some XXX rated movie before she became a teacher.

It happens.

And no, 1/2 the teachers I teach with would not be fired.

Remember the teacher in WKY who lost her job because she was in some XXX rated movie before she became a teacher.

It happens.

And no, 1/2 the teachers I teach with would not be fired.

Well maybe 1/2 is a little high, and the NKY teacher being in a XXX movie is different. What did she do that was wrong?

Would this lady lose her job if she was in any other profession. My argument is if you are going to hold teachers to a higher standard than many other professions, then shouldn't they be compensated or paid more, because society holds them to a higher standard and they can't partake in some of the many activities that everyone else can because you put them on a pedestal. If a teacher wants to go to a bar and have a drink, why should they not be allowed.(IF they are over 21) Who's going to see them if they aren't in the bar themselves?

Would this lady lose her job if she was in any other profession. My argument is if you are going to hold teachers to a higher standard than many other professions, then shouldn't they be compensated or paid more, because society holds them to a higher standard and they can't partake in some of the many activities that everyone else can because you put them on a pedestal. If a teacher wants to go to a bar and have a drink, why should they not be allowed.(IF they are over 21) Who's going to see them if they aren't in the bar themselves?

I do recall a few situations of female police officers and in one city the female mayor posed in lingerie and they were fired.