Rules Question

Hopefully someone can answer my question. Thanks in advance.

Team A is taking the ball out of bounds underneath the basket after Team B just scored. Team B is pressing Team A. Team A sets-up a play for a specific player to receive the ball, but this player on Team A runs out of bounds to avoid the defense. Team A throws the ball in to a different player.

Is this a turnover? Because it was called as one tonight at SOS. I looked in my NFHS rules manual and can't find a rule that justified this call.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rule 9-2-2 No player shall leave the floor for an unauthorized reason. Penalty - The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

Edited by CCHS_Dad
spelling

I have seen a play when Team B makes a basket and Team A is attempting to throw in the ball and a player from Team A steps out on the base line and the player with the ball will pass it to him then step in bounds and receive a pass from the player that he just threw it to. The refs didn't call anything so I figured this is legal. Maybe the ref called 5 seconds.

Rule 9-2-2 No player shall leave the floor for an unauthorized reason. Penalty - The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

First, thanks for the rule number.

I am confused because when a team is running an offensive set, sometimes a player will run baseline and step out of bounds, but will get two feet back in and receive the pass, and I have never seen a ref call it a turnover on the offense.

First, thanks for the rule number.

I am confused because when a team is running an offensive set, sometimes a player will run baseline and step out of bounds, but will get two feet back in and receive the pass, and I have never seen a ref call it a turnover on the offense.

By allowing a player to run out-of-bounds that gives that player an advantage. That's one of the reasons there is a rule that prohibits it. Sounds like the ref at SOAS knew the rule and called it accordingly. Good job by the ref because alot don't know this rule and some just don't call it.

By allowing a player to run out-of-bounds that gives that player an advantage. That's one of the reasons there is a rule that prohibits it. Sounds like the ref at SOAS knew the rule and called it accordingly. Good job by the ref because alot don't know this rule and some just don't call it.

Then how can it be perfectly legal to do what Old Shooter says in post #3 above? Isn't those players avoiding the defense and gaining an advantage?

Then how can it be perfectly legal to do what Old Shooter says in post #3 above? Isn't those players avoiding the defense and gaining an advantage?

Not the same. #3 is no different than if I took the ball out after the made basket and then my teammate came up to me and said "I'll take it out" and I handed it to him and then stepped inbounds and received the pass.

Not the same as the OP.

I'm always somewhat amused at the number of times people question the rules or a call by an official as if they completely blew it and come to find out the official actually knew what he/she was doing or the rule was properly applied. Just a reminder of how misinformed most are on the game or how they simply don't know the rules.