Newport Vets/Bartlett Field Conditions

I have two sons that play knothole baseball and was wondering why Newport Vets/Bartlett fields seem to cancel all games when we get a little rain. Last weekend both of my boys played but there games were not at NV/Bartlett. I was told its a maintenance issue with the City of Newport. I am seeing alot of double headers in the near future. Any thoughts or answers would be appreciated.

I have two sons that play knothole baseball and was wondering why Newport Vets/Bartlett fields seem to cancel all games when we get a little rain. Last weekend both of my boys played but there games were not at NV/Bartlett. I was told its a maintenance issue with the City of Newport. I am seeing alot of double headers in the near future. Any thoughts or answers would be appreciated.

I don' believe Newport has a Recreation Department anymore..That is why I have heard that the fields are not being taken care of like they used to be...Pretty sad if you ask me...:cry:

It's been awhile since my boys played down there but...didn't they sink a bunch of money/time/effort into renovating those fields fairly recently? Can't believe that they would let that investment go to waste.

My older son plays Division 1 knothole and we play teams from Ohio and Indiana. Whenever we have a home game (Bartlett Field) the opponents always comment on how nice of a facility we have. Which is great but If we can't play ball there whats the point.

The city doesn't want to pay overtime for someone to work on the fields on Saturday. Perhaps the city can solicit more donations like they did with the pool???

I've always wondered why more city tournament games aren't played there. Red would not be happy!

The city doesn't want to pay overtime for someone to work on the fields on Saturday. Perhaps the city can solicit more donations like they did with the pool???

I've always wondered why more city tournament games aren't played there. Red would not be happy!

Your exactly right, in the old days the coaches would get the field ready to play. Coaches aren't allowed to touch the field today- therefore rained out games.

Unfortunately, Newport Rec. no longer exists and they therefore do not have maintenance assigned for after hours and weekends. They can only maintain fields during the regular work day. It is a real shame as they invested "real" money and were on the way to a "showcase"- type facility.

The fields were in great shape as Nick Rouse & Co. did a great job making them playable. I have to agree that coaches should not be allowed to work on the fields though as it is the quickest way to ruin a field. Take the rain-outs and be thankful that the fields are as nice as they are now........and Red would be proud!

BTW. City tourney games are scheduled based on which Districts are competing (you cannot play at home) and there are City games played on these fields every year.