Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban

MSNBC staff and news service reports

updated 13 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO - In a monumental victory for the gay rights movement, the California Supreme Court overturned a voter-approved ban on gay marriage Thursday in a ruling that would allow same-sex couples in the nation's biggest state to tie the knot.

Domestic partnerships are not a good enough substitute for marriage, the justices ruled 4-3 in an opinion written by Chief Justice Ron George.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24649689/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"an individual's capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person and responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individual's sexual orientation,"

Maybe not, but it's really important at the conception........

"an individual's capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person and responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individual's sexual orientation,"

Maybe not, but it's really important at the conception........

Adoption, artificial insemination, host mothers...

Adoption, artificial insemination, host mothers...

I posted it to be funny but it you want to take it seriously, all of the above require at one time or another that there be two beings of the opposite sex. I didn't make up the rules, nature did.

I posted it to be funny but it you want to take it seriously, all of the above require at one time or another that there be two beings of the opposite sex. I didn't make up the rules, nature did.
Cloning...

Very dissapointing decision to me. People can blast me all they want and that will not change my opinion. Gay Marraiges are imo wrong in the eyes God. I choose to go on Gods word before and above a court ruling. I know that we have to accept a supreme court ruling as a society and citizens but we do not have to where it realy matters, in our hearts.

Wrong is Wrong and that is all that there is to it.

Could set a huge precedent.

Homophobes will work diligently to prevent further expansion of what they perceive as the "gay perversion" of society.

:lol:

I love how people label someone with a problem because they disagree with a lifestyle.

Could set a huge precedent.

Homophobes will work diligently to prevent further expansion of what they perceive as the "gay perversion" of society.

Are the overwehlming majority of Americans who happen to support bans on gay marriage homophobes, in your opinion?

Here's the initiative we hope to have on the ballot in November. This will prevent judges from re-defining marriage.

November 2007

LIMIT ON MARRIAGE. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.

Amends the California Constitution to provide that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: The measure would have no fiscal effect on state or local governments. This is because there would be no change to the manner in which marriages are currently recognized by the state. (Initiative 07-0068.)

Here's the initiative we hope to have on the ballot in November. This will prevent judges from re-defining marriage.

November 2007

LIMIT ON MARRIAGE. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.

Amends the California Constitution to provide that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local government: The measure would have no fiscal effect on state or local governments. This is because there would be no change to the manner in which marriages are currently recognized by the state. (Initiative 07-0068.)

Arnold has already promised that he will not support any such amendment.

Very dissapointing decision to me. People can blast me all they want and that will not change my opinion. Gay Marraiges are imo wrong in the eyes God. I choose to go on Gods word before and above a court ruling. I know that we have to accept a supreme court ruling as a society and citizens but we do not have to where it realy matters, in our hearts.

Wrong is Wrong and that is all that there is to it.

^

I agree with all of this.:thumb: