Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lewis County Coaching Vacancy

Featured Replies

  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
What happened to Coach Combs?

 

He resigned.

I have yet to hear or see a list. I think a couple of Combs assistants are interested. Really hasnt been much said as of late. It was a real shock to a lot of people. Brandon will be missed, he really had things going in the right direction with a lot of high expectations. Hopefully it doesnt set the program back even more. They need to do something quickly...

I am going to guess that Corky Prater will be the next coach.

I am going to guess that Corky Prater will be the next coach.

 

I doubt this. I dont think he minds helping where needed but I dont think he wants the head coaching responsibilities. I have heard that Corky's nephew, Keith Prater was interested in the job. I have also heard that Josh Hughes (Varsity Baseball Coach) and Dave Collins have applied. Im not sure on any of these though. I think best choice would to bring someone from outside the county with the same work ethic expected that Coach Combs brought.

Why did Coach Combs leave? Take another job? Is he still at the school?

I doubt this. I dont think he minds helping where needed but I dont think he wants the head coaching responsibilities. I have heard that Corky's nephew, Keith Prater was interested in the job. I have also heard that Josh Hughes (Varsity Baseball Coach) and Dave Collins have applied. Im not sure on any of these though. I think best choice would to bring someone from outside the county with the same work ethic expected that Coach Combs brought.

 

I doubt it as well, just wanted to be able to say I said it first.

I think best choice would to bring someone from outside the county with the same work ethic expected that Coach Combs brought.

 

It would be a mistake to bring someone in from the outside again, nothing against Coach Combs, but it needs to be someone local. It must be someone that can get the kids in the school to play. Bill Parcells would be a good coach, but even he could not win with 16 kids on a football team!!

  • Author
It would be a mistake to bring someone in from the outside again, nothing against Coach Combs, but it needs to be someone local. It must be someone that can get the kids in the school to play. Bill Parcells would be a good coach, but even he could not win with 16 kids on a football team!!

 

:thumb: I agree 100%

It would be a mistake to bring someone in from the outside again, nothing against Coach Combs, but it needs to be someone local. It must be someone that can get the kids in the school to play. Bill Parcells would be a good coach, but even he could not win with 16 kids on a football team!!

 

So is there a pipeline of local, college educated guys to take this job in Vanceburg? The biggest problem a coach in Lewis will face is getting quality assistants in the program, school, and willing to stay there.

It doesn't take a bunch of former college players to make a good coaching staff. I know guys that played at Florida State and similar schools, another that coached at Auburn as a GA many years ago. I have seen them fail miserably in high school coaching. You need a guy that kids respect and can get players to come out and stay out. A guy that has shown in the past that he can develop athletes and promote a program and his players. A guy that will surround himself with intelligent and enthusiastic coaches who will work together for the good of the program and the players. A guy that accentuates the positive aspects of the situation and overcomes the negative. That's the kind of guy who can turn a program around, be competitive, and produce W's on Friday nights.

It doesn't take a bunch of former college players to make a good coaching staff. I know guys that played at Florida State and similar schools, another that coached at Auburn as a GA many years ago. I have seen them fail miserably in high school coaching. You need a guy that kids respect and can get players to come out and stay out. A guy that has shown in the past that he can develop athletes and promote a program and his players. A guy that will surround himself with intelligent and enthusiastic coaches who will work together for the good of the program and the players. A guy that accentuates the positive aspects of the situation and overcomes the negative. That's the kind of guy who can turn a program around, be competitive, and produce W's on Friday nights.

 

Wasn't saying that college had anything to do with the assistants, but what about the head coach he will need a college background, what I am saying is evidently no one has found the right mix of staff members in Lewis County it is hard to attact good coaches into that area young coaches sometimes do not consider this when they take a job.

Wasn't saying that college had anything to do with the assistants, but what about the head coach he will need a college background, what I am saying is evidently no one has found the right mix of staff members in Lewis County it is hard to attact good coaches into that area young coaches sometimes do not consider this when they take a job.

 

I can see your point. Hopefully the next head coach can find the right mix.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.