Best therapy for strained groin muscle?

woodsrider

I was squating this morning at the gym and my left groin muscle got tight and I felt some pain. I think I just strained. The only other muscle I have ever strained was my quad and that was right before my vacation last year. By the time I got back it was fine. Is that the best medicine for a stained muscle, just to rest it?

I was squating this morning at the gym and my left groin muscle got tight and I felt some pain. I think I just strained. The only other muscle I have ever strained was my quad and that was right before my vacation last year. By the time I got back it was fine. Is that the best medicine for a stained muscle, just to rest it?

Have you iced it? You need to ice it several times during the acute phase, like the first 48 hours. You can also take something like Advil or Aleve for both the pain and inflammation. After it calms down a little, warm it up gently and stretch it--but never to the point of pain. Gentle stretching is very important. A good lesson is if something gets tight, stop what you are doing and stretch it out gently. Don't force it and don't bounce. Good luck and don't try and rush back to quickly. You do not want it to be a chronic injury.

I'd agree with gentle stretching and ice that was mentioned previously. However, the only thing that will "cure" a strained/pulled groin is rest, and lots of it. Nothing strenous at least until you are no longer with pain, and then, and this part is the most important, gradually ease back into your normal workout routine.

Now that you mention it I never had a problem before buying the shoes.......

It actually feels a lot better this morning. I iced it a couple of times last night and stretched it last night and this morning. I did not do any cardio at the gym this morning and will probalby not do any the rest of the week. I want to make sure it is heeled before trying.

If you do any cardio, try the elliptical or the bike. Running is quite a bit more stressful to the legs so try something with less impact first. Like I said before, you do not want to become chronic. I had some trouble with my right hammy a couple of years ago and my time off was longer than it should have been because I was anxious to get back too fast.

If you do any cardio, try the elliptical or the bike. Running is quite a bit more stressful to the legs so try something with less impact first. Like I said before, you do not want to become chronic. I had some trouble with my right hammy a couple of years ago and my time off was longer than it should have been because I was anxious to get back too fast.

I will try the elliptical next week and see how it goes.