Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is it fair reporting?

Featured Replies

Is it fair reporting for a news media to report that a Presidential candidate announced an economic policy and then report that "some economists disagree with the policy" but not state that some economists do agree with the policy, and then only interview the economists that disagree with the policy but not interview the economists that do agree with the policy? I don't think it is fair reporting, but I'm curious to know what others think. In my mind, it is a subtle way to allow the news media's possible bias to influence voters. I'll provide the details after people tell me their thoughts.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it fair reporting for a news media to report that a Presidential candidate announced an economic policy and then report that "some economists disagree with the policy" but not state that some economists do agree with the policy, and then only interview the economists that disagree with the policy but not interview the economists that do agree with the policy? I don't think it is fair reporting, but I'm curious to know what others think. In my mind, it is a subtle way to allow the news media's possible bias to influence voters. I'll provide the details after people tell me their thoughts.
I agree, Leatherneck, but this kind of media "analysis" is what Senator McCain can expect through November.

 

The mainstream media will be repaying him for all of his quotable barbs at Republicans over the years by doing whatever they can do to ensure a Democratic victory. McCain will not get a fair shake during the general campaign and it will be interesting to watch the lengths to which the media will go to help elect a totally unqualified socialist to the presidency.

 

In the interest of fairness, the media will be getting economists like Paul Krugman to analyze the economic plans of both candidates. :D

I agree, Leatherneck, but this kind of media "analysis" is what Senator McCain can expect through November.

 

The mainstream media will be repaying him for all of his quotable barbs at Republicans over the years by doing whatever they can do to ensure a Democratic victory. McCain will not get a fair shake during the general campaign and it will be interesting to watch the lengths to which the media will go to help elect a totally unqualified socialist to the presidency.

 

In the interest of fairness, the media will be getting economists like Paul Krugman to analyze the economic plans of both candidates. :D

 

Here we go on the bias bandwagon...of course this will only be a problem with the Republican nominee.

I agree, Leatherneck, but this kind of media "analysis" is what Senator McCain can expect through November.

 

The mainstream media will be repaying him for all of his quotable barbs at Republicans over the years by doing whatever they can do to ensure a Democratic victory. McCain will not get a fair shake during the general campaign and it will be interesting to watch the lengths to which the media will go to help elect a totally unqualified socialist to the presidency.

 

In the interest of fairness, the media will be getting economists like Paul Krugman to analyze the economic plans of both candidates. :D

I don't see where he said it was about McCain.

And to answer leathernecks original question, I it would be very bias reporting by the media to do so.

I don't think LR and Ace would be upset if it was a democratic candidate being treated this way.

Of course it's not fair reporting but it is what it is. Not going to change.

I think the part where they say "some economists disagree" is more than fair. The "some" tells us that "others do agree."

 

The problem is if they only interview one side and not interview another that may challenge that thinking.

They showed the person who had the idea (candidate) and someone who disagrees (economist) that's pretty fair. It would have been unfair if they said "other's disagree" and not given some example.

In my mind, it's up to the politician advocating the policy position to make their case effectively. I don't have a problem with not including an interview with a third-party person who agrees with the politician as a counterbalance to the third-party person who disagrees, although I think it would strengthen the quality of the reporting.

Does it really matter? I mean, it doesn't matter which of the candidates states their policy, it is going to criticized by some.

I have actually been wondering for a while- what economists favor more taxes and less free market policies?

 

Krugman, and Jeffrey Sachs (kind of). Anybody know of any other economists?

  • Author
I don't think LR and Ace would be upset if it was a democratic candidate being treated this way.

 

If you meant LN and not LR, you don't know me very well if that's what you think; not well at all.

  • Author
Does it really matter? I mean, it doesn't matter which of the candidates states their policy, it is going to criticized by some.

 

I agree and expect that; what I don't expect is any news organization to unfairly report on any candidate. When reporting that some economists disagree (which implies that some agree) with a candidates policy and then only interviewing those that do disagree, it comes across as unfair, which is the point I was making.

I don't think LR and Ace would be upset if it was a democratic candidate being treated this way.

 

Wow, PM, your mind-reading abilities are impressive. :rolleyes:

 

 

Actually, LN asked an analytical question that would be true for EITHER side of the political spectrum. Is it fair to interview only ANTAGONISTS of the speaker, but not supporters.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.