Lions Take Army's Campbell

The longest sustained cheers during the second day of the draft have come for safety Caleb Campbell, chosen in the seventh round (218th overall) by the Detroit Lions.

Campbell played his college ball at Army, and he’s the highest-selected player from Army since 1947.

In the past, athletes from West Point were required to serve five years of active duty in the military before they could begin their professional careers, but military rules have changed, and cadets with the ability to play sports professionally are now allowed to do so while helping out with recruiting efforts for two years.

“I’m serving my country in a different way, but I am serving my country,” Campbell said on ESPN shortly after the Lions selected him.

LINK

I am not gonna get to in depth but I am strongly against this. We are in a time of war.

I'm not going to get into it either, but that is exactly the point. He has to make the team or PS for 2 years and he is going to be recruiting. How many guys get drafted to professional teams from army annually? Not too many. I think they will gain more than they lose by letting him do this.

Interesting. I thought we were all wanting to get the troops out. Who are we at war with?:sssh:

We are in a war on terror and depending on who the next president is we may be for a very long time. He signed up to serve. This in my opinion slaps the Tillman family across the face.

But I am not gonna comment on it anymore, it's not my decision, so I have no bearing on it. Just giving my opinion.

He is going to serve by recruiting for two years. Have you missed that?

Didn't know Tillman went to Army...

I don't think he was making any reference to where Tillman went, I think it was just a general reference to Tillman leaving his team to fulfill his military duties.