FLDS raid and aftermath

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protect these kids from those who are too brainwashed to protect them.

Its a cult, people. And a dangerous one. All of the women that I have heard who escaped that cult previously have said that, while they had great sympathy and sadness for the children, something had to be done.

So why did the government not get one of the women who you heard provide the information for a constitutionally valid warrant? When is it okay for the federal government to circumvent the Fourth Amendment?

What if a similar warrant had been issued to search the homes of 600 residents of a low income housing project on the basis of an unsubstantiated tip about illicit drug use? Would the end justify the means under those circumstances?

All of our constitutional rights are threatened when the government is allowed to violate any American citizen's rights, whether or not you consider those whose rights are violated to be cult members. The US Constitution contains no exemptions for unpopular religious sects.

I agree there are probably some stuff that has happened is wrong.

But you don't go and cause the biggest child placement known to man.

I will have to go read updates, about underage preg. girls, because what I have read says "authorities suspect"... that is not proof.

I don't diss what the detractors have said, but also know if someone gets excomunicated or whatever will always comeback to exagerate circumstances. So once again their word against someone elses.

I personally would not live in a compound, and not dress like the people did in the 1800s, but acts like this from government opens up religious persecution, and that is scary too.

-and- I too like another person said on here, I am staying open minded, and have been from the beginning of this story... I was uneasy when I heard it...

Anyone there that has abused children should be taken care of, the rest are victims of the circumstance.

I really think they didn't want this people in their town/state....

Protect these kids from those who are too brainwashed to protect them.

Its a cult, people. And a dangerous one. All of the women that I have heard who escaped that cult previously have said that, while they had great sympathy and sadness for the children, something had to be done.

Nothing had to be done and nothing should be done unless and until a law was broken. Now how do you know that a law was broken?

Nothing had to be done and nothing should be done unless and until a law was broken. Now how do you know that a law was broken?

That is what I have said too, it all has been what the authorities "think or suspect".

I have not seen any proof presented. (as of yet).

If you were one of the helpless young girls there you might not care nearly as much about the rights of the criminals...

Didn't this start by one of the young ladies going to the authorities and giving a statement of the things that were going on there?

If you were one of the helpless young girls there you might not care nearly as much about the rights of the criminals...

Didn't this start by one of the young ladies going to the authorities and giving a statement of the things that were going on there?

Do you believe that everybody who was taken into custody was a criminal - all 600+ of them?

The warrant was issued on the testimony of Child Protective Services, who testified that she received a call from a young woman who claimed to be "Sarah Barlow." The problem is that no such woman was found on the compound. Subsequently, police have reportedly arrested a woman with a history of making false reports who allegedly made the call posing as Sarah Barlow.

Even if Texas authorities had some evidence of wrongdoing at the ranch, it appears that many innocent people have already been treated as if they were guilty at least in part because of a hoax.

So why did the government not get one of the women who you heard provide the information for a constitutionally valid warrant? When is it okay for the federal government to circumvent the Fourth Amendment?

What if a similar warrant had been issued to search the homes of 600 residents of a low income housing project on the basis of an unsubstantiated tip about illicit drug use? Would the end justify the means under those circumstances?

All of our constitutional rights are threatened when the government is allowed to violate any American citizen's rights, whether or not you consider those whose rights are violated to be cult members. The US Constitution contains no exemptions for unpopular religious sects.

NEVER!!!

Do you believe that everybody who was taken into custody was a criminal - all 600+ of them?

The warrant was issued on the testimony of Child Protective Services, who testified that she received a call from a young woman who claimed to be "Sarah Barlow." The problem is that no such woman was found on the compound. Subsequently, police have reportedly arrested a woman with a history of making false reports who allegedly made the call posing as Sarah Barlow.

Even if Texas authorities had some evidence of wrongdoing at the ranch, it appears that many innocent people have already been treated as if they were guilty at least in part because of a hoax.

Maybe some innocent people are effected, but the police are going to investigate any report of child abuse. And when adults lie about who their kids our to cops just trying to investigate a tip they don't help themselves. I still blame this parents, they had no reason to lie to the police and confuse this mess any more. If everyone had been up front with the police from the get go this wouldn't be such a mess.

I think that if people strip away their emotions and prejudices and look at the case strictly on it's legal merits the governments position looks really shaky.

There might be more to it though, I guess we'll have to wait and see...