4 day school weeks

ladiesbballcoach

4 day weeks, think of the savings for a district.

Just alone on the water bill. 1 day in a district of 6 schools (3 elementary, 2 MS, 1 HS) that is not seeing the toilet flushed or the water fountain ran or the kids splashing water on each other in the restroom.

Think of savings on a electric/heating bill. Fuel. Tires.

4-day weeks could result in massive saving of expenses.

4 day weeks, think of the savings for a district.

Just alone on the water bill. 1 day in a district of 6 schools (3 elementary, 2 MS, 1 HS) that is not seeing the toilet flushed or the water fountain ran or the kids splashing water on each other in the restroom.

Think of savings on a electric/heating bill. Fuel. Tires.

4-day weeks could result in massive saving of expenses.

Is their school year just as long?

So do they go Mon-Thur. or Tue.-Fri.?

I think it's usually Monday-Thursday, but Monday holidays make a Tuesday-Friday week. A mid-week holiday (rare, but think Tuesday elections) would call for a split up four-day week.

The thing that kind of has me confused is that I keep hearing of wanted reform in which the kids either go longer days or even 6 days per week. Also, as somebody mentioned other countries, the reasoning behind the reform I'm talking of is that the U.S. really is behind in terms of the education system. Now this is just all what we've been discussing in an Education class at my college so I don't know if the old lady is just trying to scare the future teachers or what.

Monday teachers come in for planning, meetings, etc.

Students are in T-F.

They said research showed that Monday is the most missed student day. So attendance improved.

Their website indicated same length for teachers 185 days.

Students only had 163 instructional days but the instructional hours required by law was met.

What do the parents do for Friday's?

I'm not really familiar with Webster Co., but if I had to guess its probably a lot like other smaller counties in which the school system employs a lot of people. That doesnt necessarily make things any better because a lot of them will work anyway, but I'd say high schoolers get to stay home, participate in sports and extracurriculars, and work while the younger kids end up at babysitters or grandparents houses. I'm guessing the high schoolers can make a killing those extra days off babysitting.

Wish I could get a 4 day work week

Sounds like the teachers and probably staff as well are still working 5 days. I'm sure this extra day gives them a good opportunity to catch up or stay ahead on things. I'm sure this takes away planning periods during the week, but I would imagine that it takes away a lot of having to stay after school that teachers do with meetings and such. This really sounds like a great way to do things for schools, saving money, being efficient with time, and the kids probably like the extra day off as well.