NBA/NCAA to announce a new 2 year rule?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you imagine a 4 year rule. Everyone gets a degree!

A big portion of these kids have no interest in receiving a degree, their degree will do nothing for their future in the NBA... that is perfectly fine by me. I am also of the school of thought that college is not for everyone.

Only because of their potential. Their impact when they get in the NBA will be greater and faster with some college ball behind them. The only true NBA ready player was Lebron IMO. Even KG and Kobe had much more maturing to do than he did.

Every NBA team drafts on potential (no matter how long they are in college), if not, Tyler Hansbrough would be a top 5 pick.

If they have the "NBA potential" out of high school to be drafted, and the kid has no desire to go to college other than the reason it is a one year requirement, I really think it makes a mockery out of the university system.

Let us take Mayo for example. It has been documented that he would have gone straight to the NBA out of high school (top 10 pick). OJ even looked in to possible alternatives to fulfilling his "1 year" requirement. He has no intentions to stay at USC beyond this semester and the only reason he is there, is because it is a requirement. Aside from the fact it was great for fans, what good really came of OJ going to USC?

Something I think could be an idea would be to allow players to enter out of high school, but make the ones that do not stay for 2 or 3 years. That is pretty similar to how the MLB draft works.

:thumb:

Exactly what I want.

Something I think could be an idea would be to allow players to enter out of high school, but make the ones that do not stay for 2 or 3 years. That is pretty similar to how the MLB draft works.

That would actually increase the amount of high school to NBA kids which is what needs to be erased. Believe it or not it is detrimental to the league and to the players when they go straight to the NBA. Usually they are drafted high because of their potential ability, not their current ability, and the teams that are drafting high need to win now not later. They can't afford to wait a bunch of years for the player to develop, and waste free agents and such that are NBA ready. A player going to the league early and succeeding is the exception, not the rule. 2 year minimum. No exceptions.

That would actually increase the amount of high school to NBA kids which is what needs to be erased. Believe it or not it is detrimental to the league and to the players when they go straight to the NBA. Usually they are drafted high because of their potential ability, not their current ability, and the teams that are drafting high need to win now not later. They can't afford to wait a bunch of years for the player to develop, and waste free agents and such that are NBA ready. A player going to the league early and succeeding is the exception, not the rule. 2 year minimum. No exceptions.

In response to that, there could be a special rule for those that go undrafted in that they could actually go back to college if they go undrafted. This would give the NBA teams some incentive to not take a second round chance on a kid because they could go to college if they werent picked. It would be tough to get all the teams on board to stop taking the chances, but its a thought. Also, the draft would be full of a lot of very good players who had the chance to develop their game for a couple of years in college which could start a new trend on the high schoolers to the NBA. Maybe there is some review committee that only allows certain high schoolers the opportunity to enter the draft. They can come to be evaluated by the committee and some are granted permission to enter while some are said they must go to college or elsewhere.

In response to that, there could be a special rule for those that go undrafted in that they could actually go back to college if they go undrafted. This would give the NBA teams some incentive to not take a second round chance on a kid because they could go to college if they werent picked. It would be tough to get all the teams on board to stop taking the chances, but its a thought. Also, the draft would be full of a lot of very good players who had the chance to develop their game for a couple of years in college which could start a new trend on the high schoolers to the NBA. Maybe there is some review committee that only allows certain high schoolers the opportunity to enter the draft. They can come to be evaluated by the committee and some are granted permission to enter while some are said they must go to college or elsewhere.

That is a novel idea, but I think there'd be too much backlash from that. This might increase the amount of Marice Clarett's (different sport, same subject) that try to appeal the rules. Down the road there certainly will be kids that are ready to play pro ball immediately out of high school, but its a complicated issue. I say the best way to approach it, baring any detailed and well thought specifics from your plan, would just be to ship them off to college. I mean ignoring career ending injuries, which are few and far between in basketball, they can't possibly get worse by playing more can they?

I agree that seems like the best way to do it is to send them all to college, but there are some that really have no need for the college game because they are ready. That is about the only solution to that problem, but I am all for making the college game better and making them stay for two years.