Bruce Pearl: What is your opinion?

UNDERTHEBRIDGE

I actually like the guy. He is good for the SEC and brings another goo team to the table. While he might not be the best in game coach in the state of Tennesse he is one heck of a recuiter and kids love him.

Kids want to play for him and enjoy his enthusiasm. He has fun. The kids have fun. Someday he will win a title at UT, the question will be if its before Billy G does?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Pearl is one of the most over rated coaches in the history of organized athlettic competition.

This year's supposed high powered up and down the floor offense - was up and down the floor often but produced few points.

He was owned by Ray Harper at Kentucky Wesleyan losing 17 of 22 contests to him.

He's a darn good self promoter - a decent coach - but nothing close to an elite coach in the NCAA

What's Ray Harper up to nowadays?

I have enjoyed watching Tennessee play this year because of their run and gun offense but it was hard to stomach last night with some of the terrible shots they took. The Smith boys can throw up anything and Pearl doesn't say anything to them, but Lofton shoots a bomb and he gets his butt jacked. I'm glad that was Lofton's last game so I can go back to rooting against them in everygame.

Amen:thumb:

Here is a diffent perspective than what most of you have of Coach Pearl. I understand the reasoning why few of you would ever care one way or the other about a rival team. I'm not naive enough to think that there isn't some truth to the problems some of you have mentioned about Coach Pearl's chaotic style - I get frustrated with these same problems at times as well. However, I do remember the not too distant past about the hiring mistakes made in Knoxville beginning with a wonderful person in Wade Houston but terrible head coach, going through the Kevin O'Neal years to the out-of control Jerry Green years and finally the well-meaning Buzz Peterson. That was a fairly laughable 12-15 years in the history of UT basketball. The few years of marginal success were even laughable at times.

Coach Pearl has come in and changed the landscape in Knoxville. He is a master showman that understands the need for marketing. He had a lot of blue-collar players that were willing to work extremely hard to become SEC caliber basketball players so far with a few exceptions including the oft-discussed Chris Lofton and Tyler Smith. Chris worked hard on his game to become more than his seeming abilities. Tyler is blessed with ability and hasn't learned to completely harness it yet. There is a true point guard from the Michigan area coming in next season along with a true center from the Chattanooga area. Neither of these is the McDonald's allstar type of player, but should become good players with Coach Pearl's help. If they could be fortunate enough to obtain young Hopson, then they could perhaps ascend another step in their climb out of the depths of mediocrity. The Vols had no true point guard this year but played with smoke and mirrors at this position. 31-5 is not too bad of a record for a team that has this short-coming. I can't help but think that Coach Pearl is the reason that this record was accomplished.

Will Coach Pearl stay in Knoxville? Many seem to think he would bolt at the first good opportunity. '98 and Gametime, to name a couple, have much better contacts to know what is going on than I do. However, I'm not so sure about him leaving in the near future, though I cannot be positive since I don't pretend to know how Coach Pearl is thinking. I do know that the Athletic Department has given him everything he has asked for in his quest to bring the UT program up to par with the traditional powers of the SEC and other national NCAA programs. His salary has kept pace with his progress to date, in my opinion. UT would pay what is necessary to keep him as long as money is the only thing that is holding him back from staying. He is building a tradition at the UT, though that is not something that can be done 2-3 years. If he can be convinced to stay long enough, a tradition could be in place at UT (probably another 4-8 years in my opinion). It is true that Tennessee is known for football and women's basketball to date. Coach Pearl has at least for this season gotten them mentioned for men's basketball. Will this keep on for the forseeable future? The jury is still out on that. In the meantime, I'll keep on cheering for the Vols and remembering the times when there wasn't much to cheer about along with the recent good times. I'll also try to keep all of this in perspective and remember that these sports we all love so well are just "GAMES" that are meant to entertain us. I'm sorry for the length of this post, but I only wanted to show a different side to the understandable (and rightfully so) opinions of the great folks from Kentucky.

Hard to argue with his body of work.

Granted tournament success leaves something to be desired, but honestly, before this year, has he had a legit Elite 8-Final 4 team to work with?

I have called his team over-rated all year. I did not think Tenn played good defense and it is had to be a legit contender without a true point guard. We will see how this whole situation plays out.

IMO I think Sean Miller is the best candidate out there to take a big job.

I have called his team over-rated all year. I did not think Tenn played good defense and it is had to be a legit contender without a true point guard. We will see how this whole situation plays out.

I don't think they were overrated at all. Being over rated is so subjective anyway it's stupid, however, they were #2 and beat #1 at the time, so it's hard to argue.

Bruce Pearl led Tennessee to a great year, there's no way anyone can argue that.

They were in by far the toughest bracket in the tournament a IMO still had one heck of a season! :thumb:

I agree he may be the best coach out there that would eventually move up.

IMO he has the most to lose by doing so this offseason. X is going to be nasty next year, and have some really good recruits coming in.

Pearl's stock will no doubt be higher this year than it will be next year and even though they're in the Elite 8 already, if Miller makes the Final 4 with X, no chance he bolts, IMO.

IMO he has the most to lose by doing so this offseason. X is going to be nasty next year, and have some really good recruits coming in.

Pearl's stock will no doubt be higher this year than it will be next year and even though they're in the Elite 8 already, if Miller makes the Final 4 with X, no chance he bolts, IMO.

I was reading an article on ESPN the other day about Miller and his future with Xavier. The article basically said that if X wants to become a Gonzaga or power mid-major, they are going to have to keep a coach around and Miller is that guy. I think Sean realizes he has it pretty good at Xavier and I fully expect him to carry out his contract.

I have been in a similar situation. A better long term position opens up, but you have a chance to accomplish something at a short term place. Long term should always win out, but it is a difficult choice.

I don't think they were overrated at all. Being over rated is so subjective anyway it's stupid, however, they were #2 and beat #1 at the time, so it's hard to argue.

Bruce Pearl led Tennessee to a great year, there's no way anyone can argue that.

They were in by far the toughest bracket in the tournament a IMO still had one heck of a season! :thumb:

I never thought that Tenn was a top 8 team and I never thought Memphis was the best team either...

Pearl has done well for himself and the Volunteers. No doubt about that - but to think there is a higher echelon job waiting for him somewhere I believe is incorrect.

I don't think he's remotely "changed the landscape of the SEC" - he just laid down some new sod in a well worn high traffic area of coaches that is known as Tennessee.

His teams did average 82 points a game - which is exciting during regular season - but when you can't match that in tournament play against teams the caliber of American University - you know your tournament depth is probably short lived.

Speaking of American Univesity - Jeff Jones a KY native was their head coach - former Apollo player and Virginia Grad - his father, Bob Jones won a couple of national titles while coaching Kentucky Wesleyan.