Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bruce Pearl: What is your opinion?

Featured Replies

A few years back the same concerns were expressed about Billy Donovan. He brought in Larry Shyatt as a defensive coach and now he has two rings.

 

Would Pearl be wise to bring in a known defensive coach to bolster their half-court defense?

  • Replies 59
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night UT reminded me of the McD's game--all breakaways, bad shot selection and zero defense.

I really like Pearl and he is a great motivator. However, there is a difference between a "run and gun" type game (UNC) and just a style that is played at a crazy pace with no discipline (UT). A guy takes a bad shot for UT and Pearl claps and tells him good shot, that may win games in the season but come tourney time it will kill you.

Pearl has done a great job putting UT on the map. I mean, this is a program that is 3rd in line for lunch, and that hasn't been to an elite eight.

 

I think he is a "fun" coach, but a little clownish. I thought I was watching the And 1 Mix Tour last night.

I hope he goes to IU, can you see the hoosiers wearing head bands!

Pearl needs more talent for UT to make the jump to a consistent top 10 program. If the talent is close to equal or if UT has to play a controlled half-court game........they will struggle, as UL proved last night.

I have enjoyed watching Tennessee play this year because of their run and gun offense but it was hard to stomach last night with some of the terrible shots they took. The Smith boys can throw up anything and Pearl doesn't say anything to them, but Lofton shoots a bomb and he gets his butt jacked. I'm glad that was Lofton's last game so I can go back to rooting against them in everygame.

As others have stated I will agree that Pearl can motivate his players and his fan base as well, he has brought U.T. to a higher level than before he arrived (that certainly wouldn't take much :D).

I will also say as others have that U.T. is one of the most undiciplined teams that I have watched this season....... Wild passes, jackng up bad shots, thug and or cheap shot play.

 

Chris Lofton would be one of the very few if any other exceptions on that team, Lofton is a class act. Now that he is out I can go back to despising ALL that is U.T. :p.

I think the Vols lost their mojo about 4-5 weeks ago and hit a plateau, if not regressed. They did not play with the cohesiveness or toughness that they exhibited earlier, IMO. Maybe it's a matter of opponents learning how to play them, like the "second time through the batting order" type of thing.

This may or may not be Pearl's fault but the buck does stop there. He's been a winner everywhere he's been. Let's see how he does the next couple of seasons.

Would he be interested, no doubt.

 

I don't see it happening though.

 

I agree, but the true question is, would a program with that amount of prestige be interested in a man like Pearl?

I agree, but the true question is, would a program with that amount of prestige be interested in a man like Pearl?

Hard to argue with his body of work.

 

Granted tournament success leaves something to be desired, but honestly, before this year, has he had a legit Elite 8-Final 4 team to work with?

I hope he goes to IU, can you see the hoosiers wearing head bands!

 

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

A lot of very valid questions and statements in there... ;)

 

:cry:

Bruce Pearl is one of the most over rated coaches in the history of organized athlettic competition.

 

This year's supposed high powered up and down the floor offense - was up and down the floor often but produced few points.

 

He was owned by Ray Harper at Kentucky Wesleyan losing 17 of 22 contests to him.

 

He's a darn good self promoter - a decent coach - but nothing close to an elite coach in the NCAA

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.