March 28, 200818 yr I agree but TV will not say anything bad about coachs and with the athletes they get I feel they get the ranking and on name alone. After seeing Bruce last week in Bama, I just do not think he is a very good coach. Butler coach out coached him last week but did not get some calls and did not have the athletes. I can understand why T.V. commentators do not make bad comments about a coach. A lot of them currently are or were coaches themselves and know what it is and how hard it is. I can agree and identify with that so I don't have a problem with it. I just gave my opinion on Pearl (and Fulmer) bc that was the specific thread title. (not about Fulmer so I will apologize for that comment on this thread) You are also 100% correct on your comments aboutthe Butler coach and that game. :thumb:
March 28, 200818 yr Author I'm sorta waiting for him to win a big game on the national stage before I form an opinion. I may be waiting a while, though. I can't even call the Memphis win necessarily a big one because I find Calipari about as bad at times. Coaches like Roy Williams, Coach K, Pitino, Howland recently, even Billy D, really get what its about to have a team that can run and gun, but also be able to slow down at times, take a breath, run the offense, and let the game come to them. Calipari I find only to be so so. If it weren't for his one season at UMass I'd write him off completely. I guess if Pearl wins in a year or two I'll eat crow, but for now I feel pretty safe.
March 28, 200818 yr By the way, what is the over/under on the amount of times Pearl tans each week? Or is it just spray tanning once a week? Just curious. :laugh: That's why I have nicknamed him "the tanning bed guy", he would be a good fit for Cal. That way he would be out there on the west coast with the other crazies.
March 28, 200818 yr Author :laugh: That's why I have nicknamed him "the tanning bed guy", he would be a good fit for Cal. That way he would be out there on the west coast with the other crazies. I sit behind the visiting team's bench at UK games occassionally and this year I was fortunate enought to be there for the UT game. Orange and red don't really look good together.
March 28, 200818 yr Pearl is in dire need of a pure PG in his system and he couldn't get Kemba Walker, Terrell Holloway or Cashmere Wright. He's a bull in a China shop, and there is no way UT is his dream destination...
March 28, 200818 yr Coaches like Roy Williams, Coach K, Pitino, Howland recently, even Billy D, really get what its about to have a team that can run and gun, but also be able to slow down at times, take a breath, run the offense, and let the game come to them. I guess if Pearl wins in a year or two I'll eat crow, but for now I feel pretty safe. :thumb::thumb: Excellent comments here, imo your are correct. I could add T. Izzo, T. Smith, A. Kennedy, G. Stallings right off the top of my head and a few others if I would really get to thinking about it that fit in that "top coaches" category. (I am just too dang sleepy to think about it now-LOL)
March 28, 200818 yr Author Pearl is in dire need of a pure PG in his system and he couldn't get Kemba Walker, Terrell Holloway or Cashmere Wright. He's a bull in a China shop, and there is no way UT is his dream destination... Then does this call into question his motives for being such a "great promoter" for the program? Is he really just trying to promote himself for something bigger and better, and it just so happens that the program he is currently with benefits? I mean, if UT isn't where he wants to end up, then it would be assumed he is only looking to take the wagon half way, he has no intention of finishing the trip. Obviously, all coaching is as much a part of self promotion as much as team achievement, but I cannot see at this juncture that Pearl will arrive at a national championship until he does what Memphis has done and recruits so much talent that they can forget all even sense of a game plan and simply attempt to win it all on pure talent alone.
March 28, 200818 yr Then does this call into question his motives for being such a "great promoter" for the program? Is he really just trying to promote himself for something bigger and better, and it just so happens that the program he is currently with benefits? I mean, if UT isn't where he wants to end up, then it would be assumed he is only looking to take the wagon half way, he has no intention of finishing the trip. Obviously, all coaching is as much a part of self promotion as much as team achievement, but I cannot see at this juncture that Pearl will arrive at a national championship until he does what Memphis has done and recruits so much talent that they can forget all even sense of a game plan and simply attempt to win it all on pure talent alone. A lot of very valid questions and statements in there...
March 28, 200818 yr I have long called Pearl the "one trick pony". Tonight was again evidence to what I have been saying. They do not play good enough half court defense, and they take far too many bad shots to make a sustained run in a tourney. The farther you progress in the tourney, you will likely face better teams and possessions need to be treated like gold. Tonight their horrific start with terrible shot selection and porous defense put them in a hole they never could climb out of. They rely on three pointer and have used it effectively, but Lofton was off the entire tournament and for the most part it was a struggle. They were schooled in the half court by UL. The score could have been much worse, if not for UL turning it over so much. I give Pearl credit...he has developed quite a bit of enthusiasm around the UT program, but here there with yet again another Sweet 16 and done. For UT hoops that is pretty good. But all season long you could see this coming, IMO. When UK was able to go into Knoxville with a depleted roster and just days after losing Patterson, they hung right with them, by forcing UT to play defense in the halfcourt...they simply can't do it. They are great when in transition and getting turnovers and making shots, but when teams punch back, handle pressure, make them work defensively they struggle because they on the other end of the floor will just jack up some gosh awful shots.
March 28, 200818 yr I have long called Pearl the "one trick pony". Tonight was again evidence to what I have been saying. They do not play good enough half court defense, and they take far too many bad shots to make a sustained run in a tourney. The farther you progress in the tourney, you will likely face better teams and possessions need to be treated like gold. Tonight their horrific start with terrible shot selection and porous defense put them in a hole they never could climb out of. They rely on three pointer and have used it effectively, but Lofton was off the entire tournament and for the most part it was a struggle. They were schooled in the half court by UL. The score could have been much worse, if not for UL turning it over so much. I give Pearl credit...he has developed quite a bit of enthusiasm around the UT program, but here there with yet again another Sweet 16 and done. For UT hoops that is pretty good. But all season long you could see this coming, IMO. When UK was able to go into Knoxville with a depleted roster and just days after losing Patterson, they hung right with them, by forcing UT to play defense in the halfcourt...they simply can't do it. They are great when in transition and getting turnovers and making shots, but when teams punch back, handle pressure, make them work defensively they struggle because they on the other end of the floor will just jack up some gosh awful shots. I agree with a lot of what you are saying BUT all teams that rely on pressure are like that. It just so happens that Louisville has a better PG and pretty much the smartest/best passing big man in college basketball. UT has no PG or true back to the basket big guy and that is why their done.
March 28, 200818 yr I agree with a lot of what you are saying BUT all teams that rely on pressure are like that. It just so happens that Louisville has a better PG and pretty much the smartest/best passing big man in college basketball. UT has no PG or true back to the basket big guy and that is why their done. Exactly if this team has a true PG that can run this choas Pearl likes to run then he can drive n dish and give Lofton, Jajuan Smith and Tyler Smith better looks. The big man down low with his back to the basket isn't really a big need since this day n age college basketball is about athletic big guys that can shoot and dribble. His chaos worked last night into forcing UL to play sloppy at times and his chaos is to shoot quick in the possessions which sometimes leads to bad shots, but the more possessions you have in a game with more shots tends to lead to more points and that's why UT scores in 70s n 80s. I also believe they need another 1 or 2 3-point shooters, UT only has 1 true shooter in Lofton, JaJuan Smith is a slasher and everyone just wants to get to the hole for this team. This game could of been a lot different if UT makes a few shots here n there n doesn't try to force some passes. I could be wrong about it but that's what I think.
March 28, 200818 yr Who on UT's current (this past season) were Buzz's recruits and who were Pearl's? I know Lofton was Buzz's. I know Tyler Smith was Pearl's. Not sure about anyone else.
March 28, 200818 yr I felt the same way about Pitino years ago at Kentucky. He has since made adjustments. Will Pearl make the same adjustments in the next couple of years?
March 28, 200818 yr I am sure that is the only school he is looking at. Now if their was another job out there, that got good recruits and had a great tradition, do you think he would be interested? Would he be interested, no doubt. I don't see it happening though.
March 28, 200818 yr Who on UT's current (this past season) were Buzz's recruits and who were Pearl's? I know Lofton was Buzz's. I know Tyler Smith was Pearl's. Not sure about anyone else. I would not even say Tyler Smith is a Pearl recruit... he landed in his lap.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.