Who are the top 15 players in the 2008 "Sweet 16"?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good that you are supporting your team, but if you will notice BellAlum and myself have no affiliation to LexCath, Paintsville, or Holmes. Judging by the Sweet 16, we are just calling it like we see it.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Nothing wrong with that my friend. You are a very unbiased poster, and I appreciate that.

I guess since I've seen Henderson a little more than both yourself and Bellalum and vice versa with Slone and Sanford there are obviously going to be different views of the players being that we have seen them play more than just a few times. But if we're going to go on head to head matchps, I believe Henderson was the better player that game and day.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Nothing wrong with that my friend. You are a very unbiased poster, and I appreciate that.

I guess since I've seen Henderson a little more than both yourself and Bellalum and vice versa with Slone and Sanford there are obviously going to be different views of the players being that we have seen them play more than just a few times. But if we're going to go on head to head matchps, I believe Henderson was the better player that game and day.

I think the difference is very small and it was a very tough choice. All 3 players are very close in value IMO. And I really appreciate Henderson's effort. That caught my eye with him last season as well.

Sanford did have an off game against Holmes, but in the 3 games I saw him play, Sanford was the better player. He made so many big shots that slammed the door shut basically against Owensboro and UHA. I love Henderson and think he is a great player, but I just thought Sanford was better. Also, as for Slone, he had to play a very tough game in the 1st round to win. He had 31 points and hit so many huge shots. Also, if you noticed, while Henderson is a great defender, it wasn't all Henderson. Holmes helped out a lot on Slone.

This is just my opinion. I believe Slone and Sanford are better all around. 1 thing both guys do a lot better than Henderson is shoot the basketball. In the finals I thought Henderson played extremely hard, but Miller basically was able to pick Henderson up around the free throw line.

What about the shots that Henderson made for Holmes? Besides the first game, he carried Holmes on his back along with Pittman. 0 points at halftime, down 3 against Paintsville and he finishes with 21 in the second half.

Semi finals has a double double while shutting down LC's second leading scorer in the tournament.

Finals, he drops 18 on Ky's Mr. Basketball. That's pretty solid for a 6'1 guard who was going against a kid 6 inches taller than him.

People do have their own opinions and that's why this is a PUBLIC forum so everyone can voice them. Doesn't mean they're right, but as you said doesn't mean they're wrong either.

Maybe Slone did a bad job at moving without the ball because Henderson was in his jock the whole night. There's a novel idea.

Middleton ate Henderson up? Didn't he only finish with 13 points which was 2 more than what Slone finished with and everyone said Henderson shut Slone down? So 2 points is a difference in shutting your man down and being ate up?? :rolleyes:

I'd say having Darius Miller guard you on the offensive side while scoring 18 points and holding your man to just 13 points on the defensive side is pretty solid.

Um, that doesnt keep you from moving without the ball. Somebody checked Slone hard and it got in his head. He may have thought it better to keep Henderson out of the play and see what his teammates can do. You never know what is going through a high schoolers head on the floor.

Slone is the first option, Middleton is the third. There is a difference in ability and the looks they get. From that standpoint, Henderson let a lesser player get the same on him. Not good.

Miller didn't exactly get after him on D. He depended on his length too much. Not solid in my mind, but we have different opinions.

Oh, and I love your "yes man." :lol:

I do like Middleton and is becoming a nice player. He is starting to handle pressure well and protects the ball fairly well. But, I don't think he is the best passer on the team, as Darius Miller shares the ball pretty well also. I will also say Ryan Hamm coming off the bench takes care of the ball extremely well and can dribble out some clock.

I think Ethan King is a good ball player and often gets over looked because of Mason's three Miller, Setty and Middleton. King shoots 53% from the field and 72% from the charity stripe and averages 11 points per game. He is very long and is pretty athletic. He might not be the quickest player, but has great anticipation and quick hands. He also can take the ball to the basket and finish in traffic high and pass really well. He is a solid player and many teams play off of him and let him shoot from 15-17 feet and he can knock it down more than not.

Lights out you are so right Ethan is so often overlooked but was recognized for all tourney team at Rupp. He is steady, consistent and tough. He got right up from the intentional hard foul against Shelby County and calmly made the free throws. He is a player. Wonder if he is going toplay college anyplace?

I've seen Elliot play probably 10 times over the past two years. I'm not trying to take away from Ferguson or the Faulkner twins as they are very good players, I'm just saying they are at the bottom of top 15 players in the state.

And I'm sure any coach would love to have the Faulkner's, but not both of them would start for every team in the state. They fit Elliot's style of play which makes them so good and they compliment eachother on the court.

You have contradicted yourself very badly!! You have made the statement in

post #109 page three that Henderson dropping 18 on the state's best made him a legit top player, and in another post you said only reason Ferguson got his numbers was weak 16th comp. If Miller is states best(he is) he would also have to be top competition(he was) Ferguson dropped 27 on him first time they met, and in a more deliberate bigtime game had 19 against him. Ferguson always seem's to get the job done regardless of the level of competition. Imo he is a legit player no matter how much his own :mad:people and others put him down on here!!

You have contradicted yourself very badly!! You have made the statement in

post #109 page three that Henderson dropping 18 on the state's best made him a legit top player, and in another post you said only reason Ferguson got his numbers was weak 16th comp. If Miller is states best(he is) he would also have to be top competition(he was) Ferguson dropped 27 on him first time they met, and in a more deliberate bigtime game had 19 against him. Ferguson always seem's to get the job done regardless of the level of competition. Imo he is a legit player no matter how much his own :mad:people and others put him down on here!!

Did you not even read my post? I said Ferguson was a very good player but also said the other top players around the state would get the same numbers as him playing in the 16th regon.

I also made that post before the MC game. He indeed had a very good game and is one of the state's best. He's just not in MY top 5 or top 10. Moot point. You have your opinion I have mine.

Definitely take Whitaker from Hazard over Smart. He does nothing but stand around and wait for a teammate to draw a defender so he can shoot.

Can Whitaker put the ball up over a 6'3"? I dont believe so, I wasnt impressed from Whitaker but smart is a great player. Sanford is most definatly a top 15 player, was there some politically correctness because some of those player from schools that didn't fair so well should not have been on that list. Sandford and Middleton are very good.

Did you not even read my post? I said Ferguson was a very good player but also said the other top players around the state would get the same numbers as him playing in the 16th regon.

I also made that post before the MC game. He indeed had a very good game and is one of the state's best. He's just not in MY top 5 or top 10. Moot point. You have your opinion I have mine.

I did not mean to offend you!!!!! The little red head was for his own group of people hiding behind a name and slamming him every time they get chance.

If you look where its placed you will see that. I respect your opinion also for the simple fact that it is yours to have and to hold forever until death do you part:lol: Most people label Ferguson as a kid who only gets his numbers because he plays in the 16th and it is weak. I was only trying to point out that he also put up basically the same numbers against Mason twice, Cov Cath, and others who weren't in the 16th. And IMO is one of the states top players.

I did not mean to offend you!!!!! The little red head was for his own group of people hiding behind a name and slamming him every time they get chance.

If you look where its placed you will see that. I respect your opinion also for the simple fact that it is yours to have and to hold forever until death do you part:lol: Most people label Ferguson as a kid who only gets his numbers because he plays in the 16th and it is weak. I was only trying to point out that he also put up basically the same numbers against Mason twice, Cov Cath, and others who weren't in the 16th. And IMO is one of the states top players.

Never said you offended me. I don't get offended by silly comments on a message board.

But as far as Ferguson being a top player in the state, I believe I said he was, but once again, he just wasn't a top 5 player or arguably not even a top 10 player depending on where you stand.

Your name obviously shows you are going to be biased toward the kid. I'm just giving you an outsider point of view who has seen the kid 10 times the past 2 years as well as seen the other top players around the state this year. He is good but I'd be interested in seeing how he does next year playing against more top teams. Hopefully their coach will add a little more competition to their schedule. If he still performs at a high level, I'll be more than happy to eat crow. Until then, consider this a moot point.

Can Whitaker put the ball up over a 6'3"? I dont believe so, I wasnt impressed from Whitaker but smart is a great player. Sanford is most definatly a top 15 player, was there some politically correctness because some of those player from schools that didn't fair so well should not have been on that list. Sandford and Middleton are very good.

You dont need to be able to shoot over someone 6'3. If you are shooting with any person right on you, it's probably not a good shot. Josh usually takes good shots, and can actually create shots for himself and others. Smart is tall and he can shoot. That's about it. If you put Smart in Whitaker's place on that Hazard team, I say Hazard does not make the Sweet 16.

A certain college coach in attendance told Whitaker if he keeps working, he could see him playing for him in a few years. I'd like to think he knows what he is talking about. ;)