HHS/NCC Predictions(36th district 1st round)

NCC06

Glad school administrators are in it for the kids. I mean without them they would have NO JOB. We keep hearing "kids first" in schools, but that is obviously not always the case. So the kids that deserve to be there aren't....

GREED....... :mad:

Just curious, but what do you think that money goes towards? I may be wrong, but I'm assuming at most schools it goes back into the general athletic fund, which in turn will get spent on the kids. Though I favor seeding for many of the reasons stated in this thread, I do understand how a couple extra thousand bucks for getting to regionals looks good to a small school when considering the costs of equipment/uniform purchases and officials fees. Just a thought...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but what do you think that money goes towards? I may be wrong, but I'm assuming at most schools it goes back into the general athletic fund, which in turn will get spent on the kids. Though I favor seeding for many of the reasons stated in this thread, I do understand how a couple extra thousand bucks for getting to regionals looks good to a small school when considering the costs of equipment/uniform purchases and officials fees. Just a thought...

I will agree with that.......but I will say IMO, I would be thinking * by my name if I got in to regionals by default (knowing that the two best teams were drawn to play each other in the first round). If I were a small school AD, you are right I would fight the seeding out of greed or want for that extra money. No doubt. That still stinks for the kids that work hard and then get a bad draw. Bottom line, Highlands/NCC are better than the other three. Which makes me wonder, why do they even play each other in the regular season if it doesn't go towards seeding. If I was Highlands/NCC I wouldn't schedule them. Winning by 20 to 30 plus does them no good......

I will agree with that.......but I will say IMO, I would be thinking * by my name if I got in to regionals by default (knowing that the two best teams were drawn to play each other in the first round). If I were a small school AD, you are right I would fight the seeding out of greed or want for that extra money. No doubt. That still stinks for the kids that work hard and then get a bad draw. Bottom line, Highlands/NCC are better than the other three. Which makes me wonder, why do they even play each other in the regular season if it doesn't go towards seeding. If I was Highlands/NCC I wouldn't schedule them. Winning by 20 to 30 plus does them no good......

Highlands girls did play Bellevue and it was a close game. As far as money, I have heard the both HHS and NCC offered to split any tournament money with smaller schools if they aGREED to seed. As you may know there are a lot of streets in Bellevue and Dayton that describe their take on this. One Way!

If Highlands and NCC agreed to share the money evenly between the 5 schools if they seed, then those small schools would be guranteed money every year. I think money is only a part of it. I think the administrators and/or coaches would like to say they made it to the regional, regardless of the outcome. But I agree with seeding completely. There should be a reward for your season's performance and a blind draw might reward a team who has had a terrible season but happens to get in because they got LUCKY on one particular Sunday afternoon at a draw. Hate to see Highlands or NCC not make it to the regional. What normally happens then, is a district winner basically has a bye the first round when they play the weak team. But the KHSAA does not have the guts to instill seeding, thus this argument will continue.

IMO because they hope for a year like this rather than seed. I like seeding because it places some value on the regular season matches. Those games in theory give you the possibility of the best district representation at the regional level(by having the number 1 seed and number 2 seed on opposite sides of the bracket). Instead, those that vote against seeding hope that the best two teams get to face each other in the first round and one of the "weaker" teams ends up with a spot at the regional tournament. IMO that is a weak mindset.

I like to call this the "hope" strategy - it is very sad that the two best teams within the district meet in the first round. I also agree that the games you play during the season should have an impact on who plays who at the distict level- seeding is relly the only correct way to have the best teams represented for your district. Districts who vote not to seed are hurting their region. You should earn the right to get to region by beating a quality opponet- not by luck of the draw.

A point everyone seems to be missing about getting to the region is: MONEY.Every team that gets to the region gets a cut of the proceeds, and this is usually in the 4 digit range, even if you lose in the first round. I agree the 2 best teams should represent the district for all the reasons mentioned, but as in anything money talks and the small schools see this as their only way to get to the region tourney AND pick up that nice check.

Not necessarily true. If you look at the instructions for the regional tourney page 5 of 7 it says that all schools in the region (not just those participating in the tourney) should come up with a plan to distribute the proceeds from the region tournament. So it appears that the proceeds could be split among all teams in the region, regardless of whether or not they are in the tournament (if agreed to by a majority of the schools in the region).

http://www.khsaa.org/basketball/districtregion/regionmanagerchecklist.pdf

Not necessarily true. If you look at the instructions for the regional tourney page 5 of 7 it says that all schools in the region (not just those participating in the tourney) should come up with a plan to distribute the proceeds from the region tournament. So it appears that the proceeds could be split among all teams in the region, regardless of whether or not they are in the tournament (if agreed to by a majority of the schools in the region).

http://www.khsaa.org/basketball/districtregion/regionmanagerchecklist.pdf

We seem to have gotten off the topic which is who will win and why. Everyone(almost) agrees there should be seeding, but as was mentioned "It ain't gonna happen" so lets not beat a dead horse.

Which makes me wonder, why do they even play each other in the regular season if it doesn't go towards seeding. If I was Highlands/NCC I wouldn't schedule them. Winning by 20 to 30 plus does them no good......

Both NCC & Highlands are required to play Newport for the conference schedule. I think both play Bellevue and neither play Dayton during the regular season.

This will be an action packed game tomorrow. The atmosphere will be more like a regional final game. These girls know each other well, (heck two of them are sisters) and several play most of the year together on the same AAU team. It's a shame one of them has to go. Whoever handles the pressure of the game will come out on top. Highlands seems to be pretty methodical in the way they play, they typically stick to their game plan, whereas NC seems to freelance a little more. I'm not really saying one way is better than the other just pointing out the difference in styles. Though in a tight game technique could prove to be very beneficial. The team that stays poised will win it.

NCC plays Bellevue annually. Highlands does not and has not for some time play either Bellevue or Dayton in Boy's basketball. Amazing how "unjust" it is for the "Big two" to have to "play their way in" as opposed to the smaller schools every year. This draw has happened TWO times in 22 years. You'd think it happens every other year by the way some of you are howling. You guys are great at telling other schools how they should just accept being smaller and less "attractive to potential transfer students" and just allow the bigger schools their "rightful" place in the world of District 36 (aka the top two seeds). Take a dose of your own medicine for once and play the games as they fall. We've been doing it for decades.

NCC plays Bellevue annually. Highlands does not and has not for some time play either Bellevue or Dayton in Boy's basketball. Amazing how "unjust" it is for the "Big two" to have to "play their way in" as opposed to the smaller schools every year. This draw has happened TWO times in 22 years. You'd think it happens every other year by the way some of you are howling. You guys are great at telling other schools how they should just accept being smaller and less "attractive to potential transfer students" and just allow the bigger schools their "rightful" place in the world of District 36 (aka the top two seeds). Take a dose of your own medicine for once and play the games as they fall. We've been doing it for decades.

Ok then (as I have posted many times) have the banner that you know will be hanging on the wall read:

36th District Runnerup

not because we were good,

but because we were lucky,

and got a great draw!

You know as well as I do, that the banner hanging on the wall will only read

36th District Runnerup

Too bad the players and their fans know, that it it a very shallow banner!